“Horrible, not professional at all”

Residencia Universitaria San Marius
Ranked #643 of 735 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed 21 September 2015 via mobile

I booked a room for the past weekend and I clearly asked if it was possible to check-in at midnight. They didn't even bother to answer me till THE DAY BEFORE I CAME (around 2 weeks after I booked the room).

They actually firstly told me that my accomodation was not available anymore and I should have moved to another place of them and paying 20€ extra for the late check in. After I shown my disappointment, they offer me a discount and they apparently discharge the request for late check-in..

well.. amazingly, 10 mins later they wrote me back that they "fix the problem" with the original accomodation. Even more surprisingly, 5 mins after that they communicated me that I was supposed to pay the extra..

The place is cheap but they don't even give you a towel and the wifi works pretty bad..

I seriously don't recommend this place!!

Stayed: September 2015
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I spent here three nights and I paid about 90 €. Residencia san Marius is not very well connected to the city center but it's more or less clean and quite cheap. It' recommended for young people.
Close to the Residencia there is a bakery/pastry where I bought the best donuts i've ever eaten in Europe.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2013

This hostel was booked because we were last minute and we were looking for something under 50$ per night but there wasn't a lot of choices. We arrived by night after looking for the place a long time because the indication on the site were really basic ( Take the metro until "Hospital Clinic Stop" and go toward Diagonal, after you will see the street". Then we checked-in on a piece of paper with a lady who was not in charge of the hostel. She did not give us any information ( Showers, wi-fi, attractions, etc)
We were a couple but were given 2 simple bed because there is no double bed as mentionned on the site, we did not receive towels to shower either. We wasnted to wash but almost no water coming out. Then, we went to sleep and realise the hostel is just beside a bar so a LOT of noises until 3 am, just like if we were in the bar!
Really not a good place for people who are travelling in couple and wasnt to relax. We never saw any employee for the rest of our stay and had to look for toilet paper ourselves since it was missing for an nentire day.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank smile4you30
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We booked a stay for 3 nights at this hostel on April 2013. After arriving we were told it's fully booked and they have to send us to another location a few kilometers away - although we had a confirmed booking done a few days before! Person manning the desk couldn't speak a word in English, and this was translated to us with a help of another guest - who also mentioned stuff like this happens all the time. They blamed it on "technical problems with email"! At another location (much farther from the city center) nobody could speak an English word either. Double room was spacious, but not clean, shared showers were really small. AVOID this cheating place and go someplace else.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tadasm
Reviewed 19 February 2011

The year I realized I have to go to MWC very late. So all hotels in the price range recommended by my employer were full. I could only find something above 500 euro per night or below 50 euro per night.

I've chosen this hotel from the later, paying attention to location and quality. I've paid 210 euros for the stay, while most of my colleagues were paying more for a single night. I had to pay in advance in cache though.

Location is good - it took me 20 minutes to walk to MWC venue when I wanted to have a walk, and taxi there was around 5 euros. Despite of it's place is called "student residence", it was not noisy, I slept well all 6 nights. May be I was just too tired to notice the noise after meetings and booth duty on MWC.

I would not say it was a bad experience. Staff did not speak English but using international words, gestures and smiles it was possible to communicate. It was tricky to get in to check in but I managed. Everything was clean enough. There was free wifi in my room, and there was a fridge. Having a fridge was handy because on Sunday and Monday I was too tired to go out for dinner and just bought some food in a nearby supermarket.

If you are limited in money or if there is no where else to go like in my case with this MWC, I would certainly recommend this place to stay. It is very basic, but price is cheap too.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business