“Best Little B & B in Barcelona!”

The Patio Barcelona
Ranked #19 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I’d like to start by saying how delightful it was to be greeted at the Barcelona airport by a nice man holding a sign with our name on it, sent for us by Liz and Toni of The Patio.
My daughter and I stayed at The Patio for 4 nights and were completely enthralled. It was a bit like staying at a friend’s house that had other guests (that we barely encountered). We picked the room with 2 twin beds that overlooked the courtyard through a beautiful old wood encased window with shutters. I loved coming out in the morning to the beautiful dining area where little fresh fruit cups awaited followed by a delicious large cup of coffee prepared by Liz. The breakfast service also included a help yourself selection of toast, cereal, and yogurt.
What was really delightful was Liz and her husband Toni - both were relaxed, authentic people who were ever so helpful in suggestions of where to eat, what sights were a must, and the best ways of getting around (maps included!). Toni was kind enough to weigh my possibly overweight luggage before taking us to the airport. The Patio was cozy, adorable, clean and conveniently located. I have to say again how much I appreciated the car service to and from the airport – it’s a similar price as a taxi and was incredibly convenient and comforting. I definitely recommend The Patio in Barcelona!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 November 2011

I stayed here during October half term with my two sons, one of whom was attending Spanish languages class in the morning at a school nearby. We occupied both rooms , which meant the bathroom and dining/ seating area was for our exclusive use. The rooms were very comfortable and quiet and the whole flat very clean. Breakfast was laid up for us / in the fridge the evening before so could help ourselves when we wanted which was great. We had some excellent meals in the local restaurants . We thoroughly enjoyed being in a more residential area but had very easy access to all of Barcelona. Liz and Tony were very kind and helpful to us , suggesting both good places to eat and visit and I would not hesitate to recommend The Patio to friends. I certainly plan on returning!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Close to everything but located in a great local neighborhood where you can find just about anything. Metro stop 1/2 block and close to bus lines. Owners extremely helpful especially if this is your first time in Barcelona. Rooms are beautiful, quiet and secluded in a great setting. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank rhiggins77
Reviewed 25 October 2011

After spending 7 weeks in Spain and Italy I think that this little B & B was very accurately priced, especially for such a popular city as Barcelona. I researched B & B's in Barcelona thoroughly before we booked The Patio and we were at no time disappointed in our choice of accommodation. As this B & B only has two rooms you are not having to share a bathroom with more than the one room. We had the room with 2 single beds that looked out onto the outdoor courtyard. The room was nicely decorated, clean and spacious. At the end of the day we enjoyed sitting either in their outside courtyard or on the roof terrace.

We found the B & B was ideally situated for seeing the city. The Metro is literally outside the door and the Hop-On-Hop-Off Buses (which are an excellent way to see the sights) are within easy walking distance. The area around The Patio seemed very safe to us and we walked to several restaurants (recommended by Liz) at night and always felt completely safe.

Barcelona is an beautiful city with some amazing sights. Tony and Liz were the most friendly and helpful of hosts. And having Tony pick us up and take us back to the airport kept the stress of travel to a minimum. They were amazingly helpful to us on the night we had problems with our bank cards and can't thank them enough for their patience.

Room Tip: We liked the large room with the single beds as it had a window to the outdoor patio. But the doubl...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Liz and Tony are a lovely couple and they do try to help their guests have a pleasant stay. I only stayed 2 nights, but Liz was full of tips on where to eat for a reasonable price. In particular, she took me to a local, authentic, diner-type place where the owner/staff did not speak much English, and I was very appreciative that she even helped me to order my meal, ensuring I would know what I was getting. It’s too bad I wasn't able to try some of the other places she recommended - closed/unavailable on a Saturday night!

The room I was in was spacious and clean, and I don't recall noise being a problem. However, there may be a slight echoing as I do remember hoping that my door shutting did not disturb the guests of the other room, which was across from mine.

The location of The Patio is removed from the "touristy" area, but that brings its own charm as long as you don't mind the slightly longer commute to that area. It was great that the building was right across from a Metro station, making it very convenient if you plan to use the Metro. I mainly used the Bus Turistic to get around to the different tourist hotspots.

It's always nice to have a breakfast to start the day without needing to go in search of one. Liz always had a fresh fruit cup waiting and you could help yourself to toast with preserves and coffee/tea. However, for the price, it would have been nice to have something like eggs as well.

There were no issues with the shared bathroom except for the inconvenience of needing to bring all the toiletry items in and out with you each time. For a similar price, I would prefer a private bathroom.

If you plan to walk from The Patio to the Montjuic Fountain show at night, give yourself at least 20-30 minutes . I normally walk at a good clip and even with extra haste, it still took me ~20 minutes to get there, not the 10 minutes I was told.

The only major problem that arose was when I left The Patio to take the Metro, and then train, back to the airport. I gave myself about one and a half hours to get back to the airport Terminal 1. I was very glad that the Metro was across the street from The Patio. I had noted that it had an elevator (you definitely want one when you've got heavy, bulky baggage and it's 30 degrees Celsius) and made a mental note to use it on my return trip to the airport. Now Liz and Tony were well-meaning, and Liz asked Tony to show me where to take the Metro for my return trip. Rather than directing me to this close Metro station, he pointed and told me to go to the one that was a block or so away, saying it had an elevator. I told him this close one already has an elevator, but he said no, go to the farther one. I was confused, and against my better judgement, I dragged my bag over to the far one as he suggested. I looked around for an elevator for some time, and could find no sign of one. I didn't have alot of time to dawdle, so I had no choice but to just get my heavy bag down all those long flights of stairs after quickly glancing to see which side of the tracks I should head toward. I hopped on the next available train only to instantly realize I was heading the wrong way. I started to get worried as I had just wasted time and now also had to drag my bags all the way up and back down to the other side. I made it to Sants station and located the train track I was to leave on. But - I had missed the train by about 5 minutes and the next train would not be for another 20+ minutes - I panicked momentarily - I was not going to make it back to Terminal 1 in time to meet my tour group - what could I do? I had no choice but to take a taxi and pay an extra 30 Euros! I couldn't help but feel that had I not been advised to use the farther Metro with no elevator, I would have made it to the train station in good time and saved myself the headache and Euros.

Overall, I would still recommend The Patio as Liz and Tony are knowledgeable and helpful. The Patio is quiet and spacious, and you do get a sense of being taken care of.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo