“Amazing Birthday Dinner”
Review of Caelis

Caelis
Reserve with
Caelis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #260 of 11,024 Restaurants in Barcelona
Price range: US$ 54 - US$ 160
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Barrio Gòtico (Barri Gòtic)
Description: Chef, Romain Fornell. Michelin starred. The culinary style of Chef Romain Fornell and his team is contemporary cuisine, reinterpreting tradition and vanguard in his own creations. He is known for his daring, passion and balance. Caelis is a restaurant with tasting menus (we have two options). Plus, at midday from Wednesday to Saturday, we offer a lunch menu (Caelis Menu - €39 VAT included) that changes weekly. The restaurant has two separate spaces: on one side, the dining room with space for up to 24 guests at tables of varying sizes. On the other, an open kitchen with a horseshoe-shaped bar and stools where 12 more guests can watch everything that goes on behind the scenes. (When making your booking, let us know if you prefer to sit at the bar in front of the kitchen or a table in the dining room so we can take this into account. However, we cannot guarantee your seating location until we know exactly how many diners we will have for that service and their requirements. The restaurant and its culinary selection are not appropriate for small children. We ask you to please not bring children under 10. Thank you for your understanding. Romain Fornell opened Caelis in 2004 and earned a Michelin star the very next year. In 2014, Caelis was named one of the Gold Standard Restaurants 2014 by Condé Nast Traveler. In 2017, Caelis moved to Hotel Ohla Barcelona. The move is also a turning point in the restaurant's culinary offering and this new era will be more contemporary and less classical.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I booked this for myself and my partner while visiting Barcelona as a surprise trip for his birthday. I am so glad I booked this restaurant! We went with the celebration menu and it really was a celebration of foods!! and the cheeses too!! Great wine and cocktails. Each canapé and dish was put together so well! The Head Chef even came out to ask us how the food was after and was so friendly. The only downfall was the less attentive waiters - they did there job and no more, which for another Michelin star I think this service needs to be expanded on a bit. Myself and my Partner both go to Michelin restaurants in London often and for us this was better than Marcus, and nearly as good as Dinner (Heston). This visit was last year and we are still talking about it and comparing new restaurants to this one! Great job I cannot wait to visit again when I am next in Barcelona!

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Amuse bouches as a preview of their molecular cuisines, 2 mains and desserts were looking good and also tasty. Paired wines were of local(Monsant) and of Valdejalon, which were almost bottomless! The wines tasted unique but were also quite harmonious with the dishes. Service(serving) was nice with proper explanations about each dishes. It was such a pleasant lunch for us the travellers.

1  Thank Eun K
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

We have had the "Menú Degustació Celebració".
Service is very nice and professional. The place is where it use to be the Restaurant Saüc.
Food was very good! The dish of Caviar king crab and the Eel with miso were very nice. All in all good price-quality balance.

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

I very much enjoyed the food and wines at Caelis. Very creative, excellent taste. Many reviewers point out the poor service but frankly the service provided was very good from my perspective. Was it because we were a large business group in the private dining room? Maybe. In any case I would come over again with pleasure and I recommend the place also for corporate events.

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

Compared to other michelin star restaurants that I have been to in London and Vienna, this one is just so-so. It doesn't have that wow factor when you are inside. Only about 4 other tables were filled when I was there. Food was served pretty fast one after the other. I do give them credit as they were able to accommodate my allergy requests and had a good substitute for it. Cheese course was not sufficient, they only give you 2 slices/ choices. The dessert was interesting, lemon sorbet with a hard shell that resembled an actual lemon. They should not have served it with an inedible leaf/stem attached to it. I feel that for the price, it was not worth it.