“Nice hotel, shame about the water and the smell.”

Hotel Miramar Barcelona
Ranked #123 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Stayed here for just under a week. Hotel is very nice, views over the port are amazing. Staff were very helpful and accomodating. The rooms and the bathrooms are also pleasant.

However, the week that I stayed, they had a LOT of problems with the water and the sewage- type smell in certain parts of the hotel. This included the water in my bathroom turning brown, smelling unpleasant and on two occassions stopping flowing altogether. Unfortunate as I was half way through my shower covered in soap!!

The corridor that takes you through to the breakfast area has a BAD 'sewage' smell which remained throughout my visit and I was not the only guest to run through there, holding my nose.

I have just returned and been to the Dr. today for an upset stomach (not eaten for 3 days in Spain as feeling too poorly) which I attribute to drinking the tap water (brushing my teeth) in the bathroom first few days of my stay before it had turned brown. The water was VERY heavily chlorinated at times at the start of my visit.

This experience is unfortunate because it spoiled an otherwise very enjoyable stay at what is unquestionably a very nice hotel as other reviews will testify. That said, a quick google search when I got back showed that the problem with the water would be appear to be a recurring rather than an isolated incident. I hope that the hotel reads this review and acts upon it because this water issue is spoiling an othewise nice place to stay and I would not return unless I was absolutely convinced that the problem had been solved permanently.

If you do decide to go, ONLY drink (and brush your teeth in) bottled water and you'll probably be fine.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 605 which had great views over the port/ harbour and out to sea and a very long and...
3  Thank Ringmaster65

Reviewed 9 March 2012

3 main issues here.

1) The hotel maids dropped my laptop whilst cleaning my room and moving it from where I left it - causing me to have a £700 bill

2) The water in the hotel gave 2 of my colleagues a stomach bug to content with for 3/4 days. With occassions when the water was no longer running in the shower, or the water being brown.

3) The hotel smelt very badly in certain areas of the hotl due to poor drainage or sewage works.

The hotel looks lovely, but deep down, it is very very poor!

5  Thank Gary T
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Introduction:

I was in Barcelona attending a conference hosted in Hotel Miramar.
This review will be short as I didn’t want to stay at the hotel during the conference because of the bad organization which turned the hotel in a building with nice rooms but that is all.
Although my better half and me only spend one night in the room, I hope this review will help.

Dates of stays:
Booked from march 2 to 5, 2012
Sleep one night, work from 2 to 5 in the day time.

The Exterior:
The building is very “modern” but well integrated to the hill of Barcelona, Mont Juic.

The Area:
Perfect location is you want to chill out a bit out of town.
A bus, 55, will take you downtown in around 25 minutes.
A cab will cost you 10€.
If you’re looking for action, well you are not in the right spot.
If you’re looking for a nice place to rest and have a romantic week-end, it’s great.

The Interior:
Very nicely arranged and decorated.
The lobby is small with two desks for checkin/out.
Stairs will take you to the lobby bar, which opens on a very large terrace facing the sea.

Check in:
The check in was ok.
Difficult to comment as when you stay in a hotel hosting the conference you’re attending you should expect some troubles.
We were taken care of by a lady who helped a colleague for at least 5 or more minutes before talking to us while we were sitting in front of her waiting for assistance.

We managed to get the key cards after having been warned that everything will be charged on the credit card right away with no refund option.
Well, now I understand why as it’s not the hotel handling the billing but the conference.
Much to our surprise, we will discover that everything else would have to be paid in cash.

The room: 316
I think this was a deluxe room.
Quite nice with a very large king size bed, a small balcony with a sea and park view.
On the balcony, only one armchair though.
No way to sit for a romantic two person aperitif with my better half thus.
The room has a long working desk, a big enough closet, a minibar and a flat screen TV.
The bathroom is “integrated” in the room, separated by a design curtain.
Everything you can expect in a hotel of this category was there: bathrobes, slippers (but cheap though), sewing kit …

The Bathroom:
Separated from the bed room by a curtain, the bathroom is an open space with a egg shaped bath and a single sink.
It’s very nice looking but the bath is not so comfy.
Design kills comfort sometimes.
There is a separate shower, very large, with a hand shower and a “rain” type one on the ceiling.
The only problem is that when you shower with the hand shower, the ceiling one is leaking and you get some cold water drops falling during the entire time you spend in the shower.
Both of us tried to avoid that, but we couldn’t.
There is a large toilet, separated from the rest of the bathroom by glass walls and door.

The Bed:
Excellent quality, very large, great sleep.

The Breakfast:
What can I say?
It was totally stupid.
Breakfast was between 7 and 9 AM.
On our one and only morning there, there were only 18 people who came in time for the breakfast. 18 out of 400 attendees shows that none of us would expect such a short schedule for the breakfast.
On top of that, as the restaurant was closed to host lounges for attendees, we had to cross a freezing corridor to end up in a sort of meeting room. At least the place was surrounded by the gardens, and the buffet although very limited was good enough.
And you know what: that breakfast wasn’t even included in the price of the conference apparently.

Room Service:
Well, again due to the organization, there was NO room service menu available.
If you want to eat, you’ll get the same limited sandwich choice than in the lobby bar and will have to provide prepaid tickets (in cash)!

Check out:
Long and complicated.
2 persons on duty to check out 400 people?!
Wow, that was the icing on the cake.

Fitness center/Wellness:
Didn’t even have the time neither the mood to check it out, sorry

The Restaurant:
Closed!

Business center:
I didn’t visit, so I can’t comment.

I really liked:
- The hill of Mont Juic is nice. There is a great promenade to do in the parks around the hotel.
- The view on the city and sea, the nice back terrace of the hotel are very enjoyable.

I really disliked:
- As my better half and me were completely NON aware of the greedy organization, I will not put the blame on the hotel but on the conference.

My conclusion:
I’m sure that this hotel is potentially a great choice.
But they choose to sell their soul to greedy conference people.
In our case it will make us keep a bad souvenir of our one night stay in the room and my 4 days stay in the rest of the hotel.

Thanks for reading one more bad English review!

All the best,
Stephane

4  Thank StephaneBxl
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is my favourite hotel on the planet! :)
My G/F & I decided to go to Barcelona for the first time, for a short break ( 5 days ) and I searched high and low for the perfect hotel which offered luxury, relaxation, views, and the WOW factor... and then I found it.

This hotel is ontop of a very high hill/cliff with stunning views of Barcelona. You can see the whole of Barcelona from the front of the hotel and many of the landmarks it has to offer... its simply breathtaking. The hotel entrance is hidden away under a small tunnel, and then their it is... and we both said OMG this s our hotel as the taxi pulled up as it is incredible. Straight away a porter was there to open the taxi door and take our bags to our room while another member of staff welcomed us and asked us to come and sign in. The staff are so welcoming, professional and anything you want or any questions you need answering they are 1st class. As we were escourted to our room all we could do is stare at the architecture of the hotel, the furnishings, and the amazing function rooms, gym, indoor pool, and spas. When we got to our room, our mouths hit the floor, is was the most incredible room and view we have ever got ( and we've stayed in a few pretty amazing las vegas hotels ). Our room was more of a suite than a standard room... huge bed, cd/ipod player that could play in the bedroom our through to the bathroom with a flick of a switch. A huge flatscreen, nice mini bar, a massive free standing deep bath, the shower and toilet were behind two seperate doors in the bathroom which was nice, and the sink had a huge mirror, and lots of free toiletries. There was also a walk in wardrobe, and a few comfy chairs. Our room was on the corner of the upper floor with views of the gardens on one side and a few of the pool and sea/port on the other. Our balcony had very comfy chairs and a table, and they supplied robes and slippers for free.
The poolside is beautiful, the grounds are so well looked after, beautiful bushes/flowers, the sun loungers are so chic and comfortable, and the pool itself is perfect. This hotel although high up, feels so private, safe, and everything is onsite, so you dont even have to leave the hotel if you dont want to. Also at the back of the hotel is the cable car that takes you down to the beach.
We had the best time ever here, and the hotel owners/staff should be very proud and happy, because they have a gem and make all there guests feel special and give them a great holiday :)
We would love to return someday!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HertsTravelling82
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Afer returning to my room my last nightt, I found that we were burglarized. After noyifying management and calling the police, the manager refused to reimburse for my loss ( around $900 ). Subsequent calls have been ignored. I would not recommend this hotel. It is not safe and management is non responsive. Many better hotels in Barcelona.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family