“excellent hotel”
Review of Catalonia Ramblas

Catalonia Ramblas
Ranked #144 of 519 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I loved this hotel! its location is perfect and my room was clean and comfortable

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 March 2012

All told I've probably spent 6 months in hotels across Europe. This is probably the nicest I've ever stayed in during all of that time.

I will clarify that statement to say that I've stayed in some cheapo hotels and some nice business traveler hotels, but not "luxury" hotels.

Clean, well staffed and a great location. I would definitely stay here again if I were traveling to Barcelona.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2012

The hotel was an odd mixture of great - but really great and worse than awful. Catalonia Ramblas is a very modern and clean hotel. It's situation was perfect within walking distance to everything. The room was very very big and lovely big beds and parquet floors. We overlooked the pool so we never heard a hint of traffic. The beds were very big and easy to move. Breakfast was extensive with lots of fresh fruits, delicious pastries, good cappuccino etc etc. The dining room staff was very friendly and obliging. Free Wifi was welcomed change to usually high costs in hotels.

But, unfortunately we had problems with the bath room. There was a very bad stench of sewer in the toilet. When I brought this to their attention on the first morning, they explained that when it rains in Barcelona, there is a sewer problem. OK, as we say "[--] Happens" Anyway we spent very little time in the room. There is also a large door between the toilette area and the bedroom, so the odor didn't permeate to our area at night.
The other problem was the shower. There was no way we could adjust the water. Either it was scalding hot or freezing cold. All this without touching the faucettes. Showers were a nightmare. My room mate was in tears.
They offered to change rooms, but when we checked, they were all the same problem with the water temperature.
Usually, I am not the one to complain, but our experience in the hotel was definitely soured by the toilet and shower.
We went to the manager and as compensation, they allowed us late check out free of charge and also didn't charge for the dinner we had one night. I must say they were very forth coming.
Other small problems we had was the hairdryer. The covering always fell off, exposing the wires. The bed sagged, causing one to slip to the side. There was virtually no place to put clothes apart from the hanging closet. I had to remove the coffee/tea shelf and leave things there.
But, I wouldn't go back without assurance that the problems I mentioned were fixed. When I read Trip advisor, this was a re-occurring comment by other travelers.
The 4th floor was mentioned as problematic.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shiracheryl M
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Spent 3 nights in the hotel. Clean, big room, great bathroom, great beds, Good free wifi. The location is perfect, very central in good area. Very easy to find and close to airport bus. Unfortunately, the gym and spa is opening very late and therefore I didn't try. Did not try breakfast/restaurant. Plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby. Did have problems with hot water but it was dealt with immediately.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Hotel was a little expensive, but I don't want it to seem negative. Location was brill very close to everything great bus shuttle service to and from airport. Breakfast was amazing great choice. Rooms were clean and a good size although a little noisy I wouldn't say they were sound proof, photos on website are a true reflection of the hotel. Staff at reception were helpful. Internet not good connection in some rooms but available in lobby area. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012