“Interesting and friendly hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal L' Antic Espai

Hostal L' Antic Espai
Ranked #52 of 325 Barcelona B&B and Inns
England
“Interesting and friendly hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

This is overall an excellent hotel for the price. It is well located, just off the main square but far enough from the hordes of tourists on la Rambla. The hotel is full of character, lovely building, and interesting anique style furniture. The place is clean and one the whole the staff were very friendly. They let me leave my bag there for the day when I was leaving.

The main negative was I had a single room that was tiny and did not have a window; no hot water early in the morning and the TV did not work (not that it mattered). The breakfast is not worth paying for. However when you compare it to many other places it is great. However when you take into consideration the price, location and character then they are not big issues to be honest.

I hope to stay there again.

Room Tip: get one with a window!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank tell-it-as-it-is47
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
Central Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

This hotel (or perhaps pensione is a better description) has much to recommend and much to be wary about. I chose it based on TA reviews which were pretty accurate, if not over enthusiastic. The location is perfect- very central for walking virtually anywhere at any time, or using taxis, or public transportation. We stayed in room 107- a double with the shared terrace. It was very quiet (which was very important to me) and the double bed (not queen-size) was excellent. The room itself was tiny, and the outer room which made it into a "suite" was quite tiny. The huge armoire replaced any closet, but the 4 little draws and almost out of reach single rod made unpacking a challenge. I don't know how they took photos that made the room look so large. The staff is as helpful and accommodating as can be. Sergio and Muhammed were intelligent, friendly, and helpful hosts- but not always on location. A cell phone was provided if you needed them. The bathroom was fine for us, but we are small. I don't think a large person would fit in the shower.
We tried breakfast twice. Basically I just wanted coffee- and lots of it. But, the coffee did not agree with my usually cast iron stomach and I reacted badly both times. We skipped breakfast and happily bought cappucinos at an Italian cafe a short distance up the street. The entire interior is non-smoking, but smoking, unfortunately, is permitted on the terrace. If your sliding door is open, the smoke and smell could come into your room. Closing the door however, was just fine. Relaxing and reading on the interior terrace was otherwise lovely. Wifi is free, and a computer in the entry parlor was always available, including ability to print.

Room Tip: If you need quiet, consider the terrace room. E-mails back and forth helped me choose.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mona_was_here
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Thanks a lot to let us know your opinion but we also take our time to explain what we think about it.
The category from our little gem is something that our big service offer gives us. I never so a pension with some service we offer: From Hitting, Air Conditioning, Medical assistance, Pick up Service and other that you can check in our Web Page. Sorry we are a little Boutique Hotel and it’s the category our customers give us.
We never said that our beds are queen size. That is nothing we advertize. I don´t know from where you got that information.
About the room sizes. We are in Europe. Here the room sizes are smaller than in other part of the world. Our decoration with antic furniture takes also a lot of space. We change space for decoration. Our pictures are made with normal Camera, not with one professional that made this kind of visual effects.
If you have stomach problems that are not our fault, our coffee will be drunk every day for many customers around the world. We never had problem with it.
In a public place you always need to take care what others do. If somebody is smoking outside where is the problem to close the door and show tolerance?
Best regards.
Abel Estévez González.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

Hostal L'Antic Espai - Gran Via de las Corts Catalans 660
A lot of what I read about this place seemed to match up with the reviews I had read on TripAdvisor (TA), but I cannot say I would return here if I could get a room at the nearby Hostal Girona.
I'll start with the positives, it is in a great location just at the bottom of Eixample near the Ramblas, Barri Gotic and Born and also not too far from the Sagrada Familia. You are surrounded by Metro stops and it is very accessible.
I absolutely loved the finger print entry system, very Mission Impossible. On arriving Sergio on the front desk was pleasant and welcoming, providing me with a map, showing me my room, the terrace etc, all good.
My room was 108 near the front desk and main door which did prove to be a problem as you hear everyone passing by and the main door slamming at all times of the day and night, ask for a room further away if you can. The room itself was very cramped, but the room sizes were mentioned in TA so no qualms there, although I wouldn't  of wanted to share such a small space. The bathroom was again small and as my synonym alludes I am a larger bloke and I found that I only just, just, fitted in the shower, but again sort of expected if not to such a sardine like extent.
As soon as I arrived I pointed out that the air con in my room was not working, Sergio promised to look at it and when I returned that evening there was a propellor fan in there, which took the edge off the heat, sort of. Sergio explained that he would get it looked at in the morning. This didn't happen and until I had to leave and pay Sergio was not in evidence, I found this a bit annoying and would have hated to share my cell with anyone with no air con to cool it down.
I did get breakfast thrown in with the room, it wasn't really worth it, soggy toast and a dried out croissant, which is a shame as it looked nice.
I am sorry to say I found this place to be somewhat of a let down but I could see why others may have had a much better experience.
Tips, this is up three steep flights of stairs, no lift,  do not have room 108, ensure your air con works and get breakfast out in Barcelona, its lovely :)

Room Tip: Avoid ones near the reception / front door
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Phatbloke
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
I would like to answer your opinion and said thanks to let us know how your experience was in our place.
First about the room size: Of course it’s a small room. As you book, it’s an interior single room. For more space you should pay more money. Europe size is not the same as, for example, American size. Our décor take also a lot space because is Antique furniture.
It’s correct; the air conditioning was out of order. For sure we did everything to solve the problem. Some time things happened and we need to wait till is resolves. Now it’s working perfectly. Sorry for that inconvenience. We offer you a discount because of it. Sorry that you think Sergio was nervous but of course with this kind of problem in our business who will be not nervous.
About our breakfast: We have three different breakfast, from the very small (Spanish breakfast) till the very big one (Continental Breakfast). If you choose the Spanish one, of course, you have not butter and Marmalade to put in to the croissant. But this is your choice.
Sorry about your bad experience but next time ask for a suite room and the continental breakfast. Of course, for it think you need to have a better budget.
Greetings,
Abel Estévez González.
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

At first glance, L'Antic Espai is like stepping into a museum. Chandeliers, furniture, and figurines abound. It's almost dazzling.

All those antiques should have made me uncomfortable---but the reality is--they didn't. This facility was comfortable and approachable. [I wouldn't take small children there, but teens--even slightly clumsy ones--aren't a problem.]

Our room was very pleasant and opened through sliding glass doors onto a lovely patio. We had a private bath. Wifi was nice, although it occasionally dropped. We had a nice continental breakfast.

The service is the best thing about this boutique hotel. Sergio handled our luggage, answered our questions, and arranged transportation to the airport. I couldn't have asked for a more gracious host. [He recommended a tapas restaurant that proved to be one of the best meals of our trip.]

The location is perfect. We were near stores, restaurants, banks, and Gaudi architecture.

I will make three cautionary notes. 1) One of the neighbors is really loud. She banged dishes and argued with a man for a long time. Fortunately, they calmed down by 2200. I had the sliding glass door open, so maybe I wouldn't have heard this with it closed. 2) If you are the type of tourist who likes a freezing-cold room in the summer, be prepared for comfortably cool instead. 3) You have to climb a set of stairs to reach L'Antic Espai. If you need an elevator, you may wish to consider another choice. [Sergio carried all of our luggage up for us, so that is not an issue.]

I loved this place. I would highly recommend it. And the next time I visit Barcelona, I will definitely make reservations here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Eliza_nc
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

The review here is partially based on expectations and I might have made the mistake of expecting a hotel (rather than Hostal). This is more of a B&B. It's ranked a 2 star which makes sense. Had I known or understood that I might not have booked it. Wasn't a place to spend much time - felt a bit confining, fortunately we were out most of the time. That being said the staff was very friendly and helpful when they were there. Location is great. Appreciated the airport drop off service. Probably wouldn't stay again but I can see it being a good fit for others. Note: there are 27 steps to get up to reception, so if stairs aren't your thing you might want to skip it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John G
Please to contribute with your opinion and we proceed to answer your critics.
I do not know about the stars, what were your expectations and you relied upon to assess them. Surely not much 5 star hotels have some facilities as some we have. Example: personalized medical care. In case necessary, which has no extra cost, free Wi-Fi and others what you can check on our website. What give hotel category are the service and not the stars that hang on the door. At the same time we have no more stars because we are not interested because it makes our product more expensive. Do want to pay more?
As for the place itself, I consider it a matter of taste. Most of our customers love L 'Antic Espai and others do not. If you like antiques will love the place, otherwise you will feel, perhaps, overwhelmed. It's something that need to consider when you make the reservation.
Many thanks.