All reviews shared kitchen private bathroom budget price around the corner hostel metro
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We truly enjoyed the 7 nights’ accommodation at Hostal Alogar that we booked at the beginning of October. To begin with, all the personnel, from receptionist to the house keeper, were not only the friendliest and politest people I have ever met, but they also did their best to make our stay be as comfortable as possible. For example, the front desk was stacked with maps of Barcelona translated in at least 5 languages, discount packages and coupons for most of the see sights; they even had souvenirs at special prices, of course. However, what impressed me was that they had carefully put together a sightseeing itinerary which included 3 different ways of visiting Barcelona, which is by subway, by touristic bus or on foot. What is more, once you arrive to the hostel, you are welcomed as if you were a close friend who’d be spending the night. After having checked in, we were made the tour of the hostel, starting with our double room, the down-hole bathrooms and ending with the spacious and modern kitchen. So, in case you do not speak Castellan, don’t worry, the receptionist speaks 5 languages (English, French, Italian, Castellan and Romanian). The room we had was exactly what we needed as it was cozy and spacious. The furniture was modern and the mattress of the bed was excellent. Every day the room was cleaned, the bed was made perfectly and the towels were changed despite they hadn’t been used previously. As our room didn’t have a private bathroom, we had to use the two bathrooms down the hole. I was really surprised to notice that they were always impeccably cleaned, the white tiles shone as if they were being constantly brushed with a tooth brush. I’m not exaggerating. Also, what I liked was that the kitchen was very well-equipped and organized as it had separate cupboards, dishes and cutlery for the guests of every room. So, we could cook at any time of the day. The kitchen was also the place where we met some other guests coming from all over the world and it was a good opportunity to socialize. Bottom line, we had a great time and we made quite some friends in Barcelona which is why we would definitely come back to Hostal Alogar anytime.

Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrei N
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We just wanted a cheap place to crash for a night and were pleasantly surprised by this place. We had a double room with shared bathroom. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean throughout our stay, and the shared bathroom comes equipped with soap and a hairdryer. There is also a fully decked out communal kitchen (also very clean and well kept). The only downside is that rooms with shared bathroom have no windows and no soundproofing, but for one night it wasn't an issue. If you're staying a few nights, maybe fork out an extra 10 euro a night for the rooms with bathrooms, as they have windows.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Daniela L, Gerente at Hostal Alogar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear guest,

It is a real pleasure to read that you have been satisfied with our hostel.

Thank you for the kindness of sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and we are looking forward to welcome you back to the Hostel Alogar!

Best regards,
Daniela L.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We were welcomed and brought to our room upon our arrival. They also arrange shuttle to and from the airport. They have a very nice and well organised kitchen with great facilities. Kitchen and communal bathrooms are impeccably clean. Rooms are quaint and quiet location. Not far from Catalunya square.

I would definitely go there again.

Room tip: Best to get a room with your own private bathroom but the shared bathrooms were clean and well equipped. They have a great kitchen!
Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Annaelle M
Reviewed 18 June 2012

What I appreciate about this hostel is, firstly, its ideal location. It is located in a safe, quiet, and fairly up-scale neighbourhood where the residents are cultured, educated, and friendly. There are plenty of amenities nearby for you to buy groceries and induge in delicious pastries and Spanish food. The metro station is just a stone's throw away from the hostel too; it is very easy and fast to reach the city-center of Barcelona. Secondly, the receptionist is helpful and speaks comprehensible English; she also gives good advice and tips on the sights and sounds of Barcelona. Thirdly, each room's occupant(s) is/are allocated his/their own fridge space, utensils, and cutleries in the common kitchen space. The kitchen itself is clean and well-maintained; thus, it is not off-putting to travellers who want to cook and prepare their own food.

On the flip side: What I don't appreciate about this hostel is, firstly, its "wafer-thin" walls; you can literally hear a pin drop in the adjacent room. If you are a light sleeper like me, you can get around this problem by using foam ear plugs to sleep--this method worked well for me. Secondly, because the hostel is located beside a school, it can get a tad noisy in the morning when the children come out of their classrooms to play during their break. Thirdly, the wifi-signal that I received in the room wasn't very reliable: I had to try numerous times before I could get a wireless connection on my laptop.

Overall, despite the above-mentioned shortcomings, I will still recommend this hostel to stay in: Indeed, what it lacks in its infrastructure, it more than makes up for it in its ideal location.

Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank IntrepidExplorer205
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We stayed 4 nights -on the last night I was bitten 20 times (twice on my face). We’d checked out by the time it was clear just how bad it was so contacted the hostel by email. They checked the room –found that ours (room E) and another had the little insects and emailed us a pdf of the bill as an explanation about why they couldn’t refund us the last night’s stay. I’m sure they haven’t contacted the people who stayed before us to warn them they now might have bedbugs taken the bedbugs home with them.
The room was clean but the walls thin. On the last night people next door had sex which was quiet funny but might be a problem if you were traveling with children.

Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank Ingrid H
Daniela L, Gerente at Hostal Alogar, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

We have already answer to this client, but she tell us that if we don´t refund her she will let a bad review on the internet. What we don´t understand is why she didn´t complain when she make the check-out. Our answer was this:
´´ We have already apologised us for the situation that we didn´t know about it. Unfortunately this happens to you and in this way we find that we have the problem with the bedbugs, but we have taken steps to resolve it. We have already make a disinsection, like you can see in the bill that I have attached you, in the rooms C and E, because we make a revision in all the rooms and we find only in these two. So, we are sorry, but we can not refund you the cost of the last night. We are very grateful that you inform us and we were able to resolve the problem immediately.´´