“Thanks for the great service !”

Tryp Barcelona Apolo Hotel
Ranked #276 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Hillegem, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
“Thanks for the great service !”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

When arriving at the hotel, we realized we had - by mistake - booked the wrong dates.
Although the hotel was quite busy, the reception staff got us a room, and arranged everything.
They even contacted hotels.com to get our "wrong booking" cancelled and refunded !
So no stress or worries, we had a lovely citytrip.
So big thanks to Ryan and Miguel from the Reception Staff, you were wonderful !

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Guest Experienc... T, Guest Experience Manger at Tryp Barcelona Apolo Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate that you took the time to leave your comments after your stay.
We are so glad you felt satisfied with our front desk staff service; we will keep on working in order to accomplish all your expectations! And please note we are looking forward to receive you back soon! It will be a real pleasure for us to receive you at the TRYP Apolo any time.

GEX Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Roselle, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 April 2012

OK, so leg two of my Spain vacation with my 3 children occurs in Barcelona. I have 2 girls and a boy (ages respectively are 16, 12 and 9). I think this will help people when planning especially those with children. What can I say, the Tryp Apollo was awesome. I had one little incident on my departure where the skinny woman at the front desk was rude (she took someone in front of me after seeing I was clearly there before the other woman who happened to be a native, I guess). Either way, I won't let that little incident ruin anything especially since the other gentleman (sorry I can't recall is name, but he's dark haired, with a mustache and a small beard and about 5' 5" with somewhat of a wave pattern in his hair) took good care of me and sent me on my way.

Sorry, I digress :), but overall the Hotel was nicely located, easy access to the tour buses, which you can pay for in the hotel so you don't have to stand on line when you reach the tour bus (Barcelona City Tours, not Tourestic (sp)) location which is a few blocks away by the Barcelona Port, a few blocks up to La Rambla (which my kids loved), Metro L2 and Fenicular (sp) to Parc Montjuic are litterally right outside the door. There are a few eateries (cafeterias and restaurants right there as well). So location gets all thumbs up. Just be careful if you eat at Frederia (sp again, sorry), but it's like a block and a half to 2 blocks to the right of the hotel on the left-hand side. Food was good but they charged me 50 euros for paella. Guy said he didn't understand my order (yeah right, i think that's a trick to make more money from tourist). I'll leave a tip on how to order if you go there later on.

Moving on, the hotel itself was clean and reasonably priced. Staff, overall was helpful (first day we got great directions, and area maps, and was told to watch our belongings). We knew that already but I was happy they told us anyway. We also got a good deal on the buffet which is a good option if you don't want the fuss with getting up and going out for breakfast with the kids daily. We had to microwave everything (but we found warm food is the norm in Barcelona so didn't find that odd, plus my kids like their eggs well done and their bacon). They had a nice assortment and their croissants were very tasty along with the fresh fruit and espresso :)

Room was clean and kids loved the family room set up. We all had our own beds and they slept comfortably. They write on the mirror to welcome you and our room was themed with the Chimpmunks (cute). We also had a bidet (my son got a kick out of it and we all used it at least once, lol). Cleaning staff was very nice and accommodating. When we needed more towels they were delivered promptly and when they cleaned up they remembered to leave us what we needed daily. I guess the hotels don't really restock supplies, like shampoo and lotion unless requested. I thought that was odd when we first arrived but saw it was the same in Barcelona as what we experienced in Madrid.

Food in the hotel is probably pricey for certain items but others are reasonable (such as the buffet). I paid 20 euros for plain vanilla helado for 4 people (that's a little much considering how much you can get it for up the block or at La Rambla). Not worth it! Just take the walk :) We used the mini bar to add coke to ours to make floats (coke from mini bar was 2 euros and agua con gas was 1.5 euro; again not bad but you can get it cheaper if you just walk up the block).

So in summary, and sorry about being all over the place with this review, it was a great experience and I'd definitely go back to Tryp and because of this experience will consider visiting some of their other locations in the future. Hope my review was helpful.

Room Tip: Tour Bus: Take it and do both the green and orange lines (if you are there for more than 3 days, get...
1 Thank KimWfromNJ
Guest Experienc... T, Guest Experience Manager at Tryp Barcelona Apolo Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your comments after your stay.
It is so useful for us to know which points we can improve and the ones you like the most. We are happy you felt comfortable in our Family Room and it will be a pleasure to receive you and your family back to the TRYP Apolo and share an unforgettable experience in Barcelona!

Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 17 April 2012

My wife, daughter, and I stayed at Tryp Apolo for three days while in Barcelona. It is a nice hotel with large rooms available. We requested a room for three and were given a suite with a king size bed and a roll-away bed for my daughter in the other room. This was fine for us as we were there to see the city and spent little time in the room. Our room was fairly low in the building and on the corner, one side facing Avinguid Paral-lel. Av. Paral-lel is a very busy street and street noise was a little bit of a problem as we were there over a weekend. The location was good but not great. To walk over to the port or to La Rambla it was at least 15 to 20 minutes which got a little old after three days. There is a Metro stop on the same block as the hotel. The room was nicely cleaned by the maid service everyday. The front desk staff all spoke English very well but some were not as helpful as they could have been. I had to go to the desk three times to get one problem resolved. On the other hand, we had the door handle on the bathroom break and maintenance came and repaired it right away. So I would say service was mixed. The breakfast room was very large and the variety of food was very good. The hotel had several large groups of students staying there at the time and the breakfast room could get crowded but the wait was not long. Free wi-fi is available but you have to get a password from the front desk every 24-hrs.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Guest Experienc... T, Guest Experience Manager at Tryp Barcelona Apolo Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you took the time to leave your comments about your stay. Barcelona is a great city to get to know with the family and we are glad you trusted in our service for this great experience. We take into consideration all your remarks which we know will help us a lot to improve. Thank you so much and you will always be very welcome at the Hotel TRYP Apolo!

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 17 April 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the Tryp for one night before heading on a seven day Mediterranean cruise. Because we were only going to be in the city for approximately 24 hours we knew our focus would be on making sure we were close to all the action so we could hit the town running and of course we wanted to be close to the port. We didn't need anything fancy. After reading the Trip Advisor reviews, most thought the location was perfect especially if you are heading on a cruise and for the money it seemed a good value.

When we arrived the staff was very friendly and offered restaurant suggestions for dinner in Port Olympia which was a short cab ride away. The hotel itself is very dated. It's no lap of luxury for sure. It's very basic and the rooms followed suit. They were on the small side and our double bed was literally two twin beds pushed together. Luckily for us it was only a one night stay so it worked well. We didn't spend much time in our room. We were within walking distance of just about everything. We spent the day walking around La Rambla and Port Olympia at night. Breakfast wasn't included with our room but we found a great little cafe close by and grabbed some food the next morning. We caught a cab to the port which was less than 10 minutes away.

If you are looking for just a comfortable, clean place to rest your head then the Tryp Apolo isn't a bad option. You can't beat the location. If you are wanting a lot of amenities and a place worth telling all of your friends about you will be highly disappointed.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for leaving your comments about your stay.
We are happy to know we accomplished your expectations regarding location and service and at the same time we take note of your suggestions, thank you very much because it help us a lot to improve!
We will be pleased to receive you back any time!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 April 2012

The room was nice. We had a family room which great for our older children. The room were very clean. The breakfast was excellent with an assortment of fruit, meats and beverages. The location was great. However, it was very loud and close to a nightclub. Hords of kids in the street in the early morning hours celebrating the soccer win over Milan. Woke us up and went on for hours. The nightclub noise was a huge problem. At the hotels suggestion we dine across the street at the Restaurant Leone. The food was good but my son found a hair fried in along with his lamb chops! That ruined our dinner. Not impressed with our restaurant choices in Barcelona. Do some research before picking a restaurant.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the street!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Guest Experienc... T, Guest Experience Manager at Tryp Barcelona Apolo Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your comments after your stay.
We appreciate you shared your opinion regarding our great Family Room as well as breakfast and location, we are glad you enjoyed them during your stay!
We also take note about all your suggestions; it definitely helps us improve enormously! Please, if you ever have the chance to come back to the TRYP Apolo do not hesitate to contact us and let us know your preferences, we will do our best to accomplish your expectations and requests!