“Great Place to stay”

Barcelona Universal Hotel
Ranked #84 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The Barcelona Universal is CLEAN, has a very helpful and informed staff, is centrally located -easy walking distance to the Gothic Center of Barcelona, the bathrooms are large enough and the shower is excellent. The air in the room was excellent and the price was right. In addition, I left my walking stick in the room . I contacted the hotel and they saw to it that my caned was mailed to my home in the U.S.A.

Room Tip: Ask for restaurant recommendations. You'll get good answers
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dale M

Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed with a group of friends in April, booked a triple room& a double room, prices were decent. We were greeted well& staff were helpful throughout& gave us a map as we checked in. I stayed in the triple room on the 6th floor& although it had windows, it wasn’t looking onto the streets or such, rather it was onto a central column in the centre of the building, but this wasn’t a problem as I had read about street side rooms being loud& I can understand those peoples reviews as outside it was pretty busy. The room was large, beds comfortable& I got great nights sleep all week. The double room my other friends had was on the 2nd floor& had its own patio out back which was great. It was warm when we visited the city& the patio was shaded out the back letting us keep cool. There is also free WiFi all over the hotel. We checked out the pool up on the roof but its not heated so is pretty cold!, but we relaxed for a while up there 1 day, its got awesome views aswell from up there!.
As most reviews say, there is a Metro stop (Para-lel) right outside the main door to the hotel& can get you anywhere in city. An excellent note on this is that the metro was on the same line that the RENFE Airport train from Barcelona Airport to Sants Station stopped at, therefore it is easy to get from Airport to Hotel in around 30-40mins (depending on train times) with 1 change.
There are many little cafes, restaurants& fast food outlets near the hotel. We had breakfast once& was pretty good, not a massive choice, but by no means scarce.
La Rambla is 10min walk away& its worth while walking up this street as it’s full of stalls& shops. There is also an excellent Tourist Information booth towards the top of the street, you will notice the red ‘i’ sign.
One thing I would mention that maybe on peoples minds is there was no in room iron, or kettle/tea making facilities. The hotel staff allowed us to keep our bags etc in the hotel on the last day also as we had a late flight at no charge.
I would definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 615 is the triple room i mentioned& 220 is the double room mentioned with the patio. Both a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Khristophoros
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Just a small walk away from La Ramblas, it is located at a very decent place. Despite being a vegetarian, I could find good food nearby. Metro is just outside the hotel, taking us to all parts of the town. The staff is very decent, and they gave me all the information I asked them.
The rooms are very good, and spacious according to European standards.Free wifi. The soaps and other accessories provided in the room/bath were of good quality.
All the above, when compared to the price we paid for this Hotel- just do not make me give it anything less than a 5* rating. Good job guys!
P.S.: Just hope you dont increase your prices after looking at the positive reviews that you are getting! ;)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We checked-in earlier today, and were quickly impressed with the friendly staff and clean rooms (definitely worth getting a room on a higher floor). The hotel is a 5 min walk from La Ramblas and right next door to the metro. I haven't ordered food from the kitchen as yet, but the bar was intimate with good service. I'm looking forward to staying here this week and definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Booked into this hotel for a city break. Room very clean and well appointed, there were windows in room they were not facing outside but into a central space (you got fresh air but no traffic noise.) Lots of complimentary bathroom requirements. Staff in the hotel were extremely helpful, friendly and informative, went out of their way to accommodate you, all spoke good English. A bit of a walk to Las Ramblas etc but right next to the Metro. Nearby cafe/restaurants meant we didn't have to go far for a meal. Pool was tiny but very clean, small gym available and stunning views from the roof. We did not sample the dining room, the bar was small but adequate and attentive staff. Would happily recommend it to others.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends