“A THOROUGH, COMPLETE & FAIR REVIEW” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Meridien Barcelona

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Le Meridien Barcelona
Ranked #121 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A THOROUGH, COMPLETE & FAIR REVIEW”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Location:
best part of the hotel (noted in multiple other reviews) - centrally located on Las Rambla, walking distance to Gothic quarter, waterfront, Plaza Catalunya, 5 min walk to 2 metro stations (getting you to Park Guell, Sagrada Familia, Pg. Gracia - upscale shopping/dining, Montjuic, etc). Numerous dining possibilities within walking distance.

General Hotel:
this is a BUSY city hotel, caters to cruise ship tour passengers (think loud, north americans travelling in herds) and flight crews (think impatient, annoyed guests at checkout). If you are looking for a peaceful lobby this is NOT it. However, the hotel is clean and modern, and the location can't be beat (see above).

Staff:
Kind and trying their best, but clearly overworked, inexperienced (many trainees) therefore there is no attention to detail and often, details are forgotten. Constantly a line for the concierge, other times, simply none at the desk. Wake up call was late. Bags were misplaced and delivered erroneously. Rooms will NOT be available until official 3 pm check in (very busy). Our concerns were fairly and professionally addressed by the manager Walter, so he deserves credit for that and for honestly describing the demands placed on the hotel.

Rooms:
clean, modern. However, stark and not luxurious or "warm/cozy." Bathrooms are very modern and clean, showers are great with excellent pressure. Noise not an issue off of Rambla, which stays bustling until 1-2 am! Poor quality linens considering a 5 star rating.

General tips:
eat across the street at the modern italian and chinese restaurants, and around the corner at Bar Lobo (modern tapas).

compare the price to Hotel 1898 which is across the street and quieter, more upscale with great rooftop pool and bar.

Also consider a few days at the W hotel by the marina to experience the beach culture (Barceloneta neighborhood), we checked out this place which was pretty amazing (pool, beach access) but also has a trendy "seen and be seen" kind of place.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank P-Fogg-1873
GDS07, General Manager at Le Meridien Barcelona, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for expressing your thorough opinion and giving us thereby useful feedback! Your positive comments encourage our team to go further and work harder in order to ensure a marvelous stay in our hotel!

Gonçalo Duarte Silva
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

Barcelona is one of our favorite cities and this hotel is located right in the heart of town on La Rambla Street; this made our stay fun and very convenient. Overall room was excellent and service good.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear guest

I am happy to see that you had such a great stay with us and I would like to thank you for sharing this (with us).

Yes our reservations team does work hard on the pre arrival process in order to deliver on the expectation and start helping on the city discovering.

As our business is all about our guests, your satisfaction is what we want to work on every day! We will pass the compliments to our trainees who have been doing agreat job.

I would be honored to welcome you again during your next stay in Barcelona

Best regards

Gonzalo Duarte Silva
General manager
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my family prior to a 12 day cruise. We used points and stayed in a prestige suite. Even prior to my arrival the staff was helpful in responding to some questions via email. When the taxi arrived at the front of the hotel we were immediately met by staff to help us with the luggage, which was plentiful. They were all very nice and friendly. I went up to the desk to check in and was met by a nice young woman who was in training. She was very quick to thank me for my SPG loyalty and had me checked in very quickly. Her name tag said she was in training, but she seemed like she was a real veteran. The room was comfortable and well appointed with great views. The bathroom was very large and the entire room was very clean. I will only echo the thoughts of others on the location....it was great! We walked to the market for breafast and had a great cheap meal with freash fruit and juices. It was fantastic.

When the time came to check out, the staff was as helpful calling for a cab and getting us on our way as they were when we arrived. Overall I was impressed witht he property and would probably stay there in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank gscar35
Dear guest

First I would like to thank you for sharing your opinion with us as your critics are very useful for us to see what we can improve and help keeping the momentum going within the team

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

The LeMeridien Hotel in Barcelona, Spain is beautiful. The hotel offers a wonderful sleeping experience. The breakfast buffet is very good with a great selection and the staff is nice. The area is wonderfully located. There are so many restaurants and souvenir shops nearby. There must be a restaurant every few feet apart. The area around the hotel is a little like Times Square in New York; people walking and shopping and eating all times of the day and night. I enjoyed my stay very much.

Room Tip: I can't really say. I simply stayed in the room I was assigned, but it was very nice. There is...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for expressing your opinion and giving us thereby useful feedback! Your positive comments encourage our team to go further and work harder in order to ensure a marvelous stay in our hotel!

SIt was a pleasure to have you at our hotel and if you ever feel like coming back to Barcelona, we would be honored to welcome you in our hotel once again.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

My wife and I are currently staying at this hotel. After multiple considerations I decided to go for ~$300 property compared to equally good options at half the price due to my continued loyalty to SPG and fear I had in living in another property in Barcelona where things could be stolen from. Our experience here as been anything but pleasant:

Firstly, we arrived at 2p for a 3p checkout and the front desk were clearly red-tapist about 3p check-in policy and asked to wait for an hour. Until 3:10p, the person who checked us in (Anastasia) completely ignored us and not once came to give us an ETA. I went up at 3:10 to the FD again to be told to wait until 4p

Secondly, once we get in our rooms, we saw that the Internet did not work in the room (tried on laptop, iPad, Blackberry, and iPhone). The room had such bad network that none of the devices were able to pick the signal. Then I tried the wired connection but that too did not work (Lastname and room combo was being rejected) When I called the FD, they said they will work on it and get back. They did not get back to me for full 24 hours (well the manager left me a message in the afternoon when we were gone to see the sights). Upon coming back I called Caroline (the other name that was given to me), left her a VM, called the FD asked them also to ask Caroline to call me, yet no response. Next day also no response from either manager or Caroline....Its been 48 hours now and no response. The front desk staff simply apologized and said "sorry we won't charge you for Internet" That's not good enough. Why should one pay $300 at a hotel where Paid Internet won't work. One would be better off someplace else!

To top if off, the service given was very poor as well.

- Our shower had issues, I called FD 2 times, in 36 hours but got no response. Finally my engineering background helped me find a solution and fix it.
- I am SPG Gold, entitled to 2 free water bottles everyday. Not once was the water provided to me without asking for it (except day of arrival)
- I ordered room service once, and got empty salt bottles. Are you serious? I called again for salt, and it took 20mins for them to send it. By the time I was done eating the meal as is

I am writing this note from the main lobby at 1:00 am in complete frustration...You book an expensive hotel for service and not for being treated like SH***!!

I don't recommend anyone to stay at this property!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank gautamagg
GDS07, General Manager at Le Meridien Barcelona, responded to this review, 18 August 2012
Dear guest

First of all I would like to thank you very much for expressing your opinion. Then I honestly apologize for the disappointment you feel.

Your negative feedback is unexpected, since we always try to serve our guests with the highest level of service.

The next time that you visit Barcelona, I hope to get the chance to show you that we can offer you a much better experience. I would be happy to welcome you back to our hotel and to show you that we normally serve a higher level of service!

General manager