Stayed here for 1 week for 2 adults and 2 children. Booked a suite as we wanted extra spaces.
The suites we had were at the odd corners of the building so the room are in odd shape, high floor with good view. We noticed that the suites seems to be in the four corners of the floor.
The room consists of a large sofa bed (about 5' in width) in the living plus a double bed in the bed room. The living room has a flat screen TV, writing table, chair, coffee machine and a small WC which has a water closet and a small basin. There is another flat screen Tv in the bed room but only one remote control. The english TV channels are not really working, only manage to see BBC and another english news channel.
There is a ensuite bathroom in the bedroom with long bath, shower, WC and 2 basins. the location of the 2nd basin is odd as it is blocked by the WC and the shower cubicle with the forward position of the rainshower makes a big size man like me nudgging onto the shower door that causes the water to spill out.
The nespresso coffee machine in the room is a nice idea but the water is less hot and we prefer a kettle as we can use them for tea and cup noodles.
Hotel is new, in a new part of city, there is a typical suburban mall opposite the hotel - The Glores and another mall further down by tram call Diagonal mar.
The Glores has average range of shops, the sort you get in a suburbs and a carrefour. It is good place to stock up and get day to day stuff, food outlets in this place is really average and mostly chain type of outlet, nothing special to discover. Shopping is a boring experience here.
Diagonal mar mall is slightly upmarket with higher range of shops and a beautiful park next to it.
Have the following comments :
1. Breakfast - Breakfast is served in this depressing basement ballroom with thick carpets and dark furnishing and with unchanging menu - after 3 days, we were really dragging our feet to breakfast. We have prepaid all our breakfast. The eggs stations has the same ingredient over and over. Bread has variety but its the same variety over and over. Cool meat and fruits section has the same items day after day, the breakfast feels like a ibis hotel breakfast not a novotel. If there were any changes in the menu, it is not significant enough and it really spoils our morning after the 3rd day. We actually skip on the 3rd morning and went to Burger king.
2. Pillows - they have the foam type of pillow that repels your head. It doesnt let your head rest on them. Had really bad sleep quality due to this. It appears to us that a lower grade hotel uses pillow like this as they are more concern about the wear and tear of their pillows rather than the comfort of the guest.
3. Location - We selected this hotel partly due to its location, away from all the tourist and pick pockets. The setback is that it is far from all the tourist places and there is no nice restaurants, quaint shops to explore here, there seems to be a lack of depth in the urban fabric, perhaps it need a while longer for it to build up.
4. Taxi scams - Booked a taxi from the hotel but when we boarded the taxi there was already a 10 euro charged and when we querry the driver said that he clock his meter from 7:45am and we boarded the taxi late. When exiting at the airport, we asked for the receipt it shows that he has clocked in his meter at 7:35am, 10 minutes earlier so please check the meter before you closes the car door and there is a lot of taxi waiting by the entrance anytime of the day so there is really no need to book any.
The good thing:
1. New - hotel is new clean and nice. The roof top spaces is wonderful.
2. Front Staff - helpful even they are overworked and very busy.
3. Taxi - plenty of taxi even on a saturday night.
4. Housekeeping - very clean and responded in very short time.
Would not come back instead will explore other hotels in other part of the city, the hotel is fine but the location is boring and the breakfast too !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4-star Novotel Barcelona City Hotel has 264 rooms (including 22 suites) and is located right in the heart of the city on Avenida Diagonal (one of the city's main streets), next to Plaza Glòries and 55 yards (50 m) from the Jean Nouvel Tower. The hotel features a Claravía restaurant, a bar, 6222 sq. ft (578 m2) of meeting rooms, an outdoor pool on the terrace with panoramic views of Barcelona and a fitness center. Easy access to the hotel via Ronda de Dalt and Ronda Litoral. (The swimming pool is open only from 1st June to 20th September 2011) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, ACCOR, Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your Novotel Barcelona City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Barcelona City Hotel Barcelona