“Def has the wow factor!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Restaurant Montiel

Restaurant Montiel
Ranked #18 of 9,396 Restaurants in Barcelona
Price range: US$ 32 - US$ 75
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European, Spanish, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: El Born / La Ribera
Description: Based on an exhaustive selection of the best raw materials in our region, the gastronomic offer is made from simple and tasty tapas to a full season tasting menu. Paying the utmost attention in the respect for the raw materials, producers and our environment, we work to make the gastronomic experience not only pleasant and fun, but also sustainable, fair and healthy. 80% of the products we use in our kitchen, from vegetables, meats and fish, to wines, beverages and breads, come from small producers in the region. This obliges us and allows us to always work with seasonal products and update our menus permanently. We do not use gluten or lactose and the sugar from our desserts is integral and environmentally friendly. The visit of our clients, then, becomes a comprehensive event ranging from the sensory enjoyment proper to an emotional satisfaction derived from the knowledge of knowing that what is being enjoyed also contributes to strengthen the local economy and Our own health.
“Def has the wow factor!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

This restaurant was the motivation I needed to join Trip advisor (albeit belatedly) it was such a great experience Montiel deserve credit and indeed the TripAdvisor community, when I visited it had the #1 spot in Barcelona and I was not disappointed. Amazing tasting menu, where unusually each and every course was exciting, mouthwatering and beautifully prepared. The staff were fantastic and service excellent, they even accommodated a birthday request I sent via email, and took time to do so in a nice way. We had the wine tasting menu also which was well matched to the food and of exceptional quality. It wasn't cheap but worth every eurocent, and overall great value. Highly recommended!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

• Turkish first
Miami Beach, Florida
“Very Good, But Pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

We went to Montiel and got great service. It is a very small place, and a little tough to find. The staff was excellent and the food was good. Not phenomenal, but definitely a good place to eat.

• Visited July 2012
Barcelona
“Felt short to my expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Montiel can be categorized according to my standards into a place
that I expected much much more after reading the reviews posted in tripadvisor. They are friendly, their food is good, but I think they are not top-of-the-game, I did not leave the place thinking or feeling wow. There was no "wow", there was an "OK, what was all the fuzz about?".

Visited June 2012
1 Thank eepfb
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Excellent flavors”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

We enjoyed the prix fix dinner with wine pairings tremendously. This restaurant boasts locavore cuisine in a region rife with food and wine options...and they've made the best of it. To top it all off, the wines chosen for each course matched perfectly. We especially enjoyed the pork and poached egg course, and the TWO dessert courses were among the best we had during a 2 week trip to France and Spain. And the price was only 54 euros per person for the food, with an additional 25 for the wine...what a bargain!

2 Thank Judi F
Copenhagen, Denmark
“High expectations for Christmas dinner were fully met!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

My girlfriend and I decided to travel to Barcelona for Christmas. I selected the restaurant based on reviews and I reserved a table before our trip. My expectations were high, it was Christmas dinner after all and I wanted to impressed my girlfriend. This is a fine restaurant hidden from the known streets of downtown Barcelona, yet close enough to las Ramblas, a walking distance from it. Service was great. From the beginning, the staff aproach was respectfull, yet not pretentious. Cava and a local beer which ferments in the bottle after opening it, were our startiing drinks. After, a wine menu matched the food menu perfectly. I won't reveal any details, but a 5-course menu with two options for every course, is framed hanging on our kitchen wall. The whole experience was great: food, service and atmosphere. Montiel definetely puts Barcelona in the gourmet map.

• Visited December 2011