“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #265 of 9,689 Restaurants in Barcelona
Price range: US$ 167 - US$ 193
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: In 2000 ABaC Restaurant opened its doors in his first location, Carrer del Rec 79 in Barcelona. In May 2008 changed to his new address in Avenida Tibidabo, 1. The gastronomy is the fundamental axis of the project. The restaurant awarded with 2** Michelin, and nominated by The Best Restaurant 2011 in Catalonia by the Catalan Academy of Gastronomy, can seat up to 56 diners. Located in the newly constructed pavilion in direct contact with the garden, the interior and the exterior are found through large windows. It is a caprice of whites, in all tones. In a calm, neutral and elegant atmosphere, the sense of sophistication is shaped by the small details and the materials used, as well as a sophisticated combination of lights. The kitchen of 200 m2 has been designed by Joaquim Casademont. It is a black container, in which stainless steel furniture takes all leadership, an effect that has been reinforced by the lighting, a route marked by leds serves as a guide and allows the guests to cross it. Rooms for private events with a capacity of 20 to 60 diners respectively, complete its restoration facilities. The "Lounge Bar", which opens until 2.00 p.m. and where the music, light and color of the room subtly change;There is also an extensive cellar, offering near 1000 references, and from which you can select your perfect wine. Chef Jordi Cruz and his team of young professionals develop a creative cusine of superb technique, based on the product and which meets both creativity and tradition. In addition, our attentive yet friendly service create a professional but relaxed atmosphere, which makes ABaC holder of 2** Michelin.
Geneva, Switzerland
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

had low expectations going into the restaurant....but menu was impeccable. Some of the dishes were very imaginative and were not only well presented but also came across well.

Whilst we didn't drink any wine i.e. did not appreciate the wine cellar etc I can understand why the restaurant has 2 stars....dining room is very presentable, service whilst quite formal was very friendly and efficient.

Price is quite reasonable for a 2 star restaurant.....Equivalent restaurants in Switzerland or France will cost 250 Euros plus...

The Chef is very young ...and in a way this is reflected in his cuisine as some of the dishes are playful in kind. The quality of ingredients used are high standard....but is is nice to see some innovative dishes , risk taking for a 2 star restaurant.

Staff were very pleasant and quite flexible in catering to our dietary constraints ...menu was adapted to our needs without any issues which is always nice.

Would definitively recommend it and we already look forward to our next visit.

Visited May 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Wow”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Wow. I stayed here with some colleagues for 1 night on a business trip, and we were simply amazed.

I cannot say enough good things about the restaurant. I am fortunate enough to have eaten in quite a few Michelin starred restaurants over the years, and so have a reasonable sense of what to expect; but the meal here was off the chart, simply the best dining experience I've ever had, anywhere, and that is saying something.

We went for the abac tasting menu, cheap compared to the a la carte, and after 4 hours and 14, yes 14 courses, plus coffee and petit fours we left with our appetites well satiated, our wallets well drained, and our expectations about the art of culinary possibilities well and truly reset.

If you are in Barcelona you need to eat here. In fact, forget that, wherever you are in the world you need to eat here.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank TravellingMouthPiece
Barcelona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth to visit!”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Gastronomy is one of my greatest passions in life and dining in ABaC was undoubtedly a pleasantly surprising experience. Cuisine d'auteur, meaning a menu of completely original dishes, astonished me by the composition of ingredients and perfect balance of flavours that I would creatively describe as a "match made in heaven". The sweet note of the tasting menu was indeed feminine - a bucket of spring flowers, violet ice-cream and a sherbet lipstick made me smile. Highly recommend to all the ladies!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Nicole_Nicolette
Cambridge, UK
“Simply faultless”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Even though I have just put myself on a serious diet after our 15 course lunch yesterday at ABaC, I cannot wait to go back. Like one of the other reviewers, I have eaten at many Michelin starred restaurants but this is now my new favourite restaurant. Each dish was delectable and despite the 15 courses, I never felt too full to carry on - a problem I often face with tasting menus (although, don't get me wrong - you will be full at the end!). For me, the most memorable were the Foccaccia of Fois Gras with Onion Juice and Truffle, The Oyster with Woodcock Concentrate, Mushroom, Citrus and Salsify and the False Egg Yolk with Iberian Ham, Potato Parmentier, Truffle Oil and Rocket - but it was all stunning. This, together with charming staff who knew just how to make us feel at home and were extremely knowledgeable about the food they were serving made it a memorable experience.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Nomadchef53
London, United Kingdom
“Terrific experience for foodies”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit - we went for the (slightly) smaller tasting menu at eur 125 pp, but this still worked out to be 10+ courses and the vast majority of dishes were not only interesting, beautifully presented but also delicious !!! And expect to be full by the end of your 2 - 3 hour sitting
Standouts were a) liquid parmesan gnocchi with bergamot, pnuts, lemon grass and truffle fusion b) tuna belly with macaroni in ponzu sauce, mizuna, crispy artichoke and spicy roots purée c) roast scallops with artichokes, Iranian caviar, olive oil and soya with artichokes and orange
Some dishes were interesting but not necessarily outstanding eg nitro sour yoghurt lollipop with Iranian caviar, but the waiter creating these on your table added to the "event"
Service was generally personable and efficient, the sommelier was also great and provided a number of options without pushing pricier items....... With 2 bottles added to our bill we spent euro 200 pp
Any downsides ? Not significant but my wife didn't feel that her seat, which meant she faced a prep area for our smaller dining room, was great given she could clearly see the waiters toing and froing. Had to send back dirty cutlery ! But these were minor in an otherwise very enjoyable night
Would I go back - most definitely , and going al a carte would be nice option

• Visited April 2012