“Great place by the sea”

Ranked #28 of 74 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
County Wicklow, Ireland
“Great place by the sea”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

As others have stated this hotel is at a great location. Minutes to the bus stop to reach Palma or the local beaches. Mind you the beach at Portofino is a pretty nice, quiet family beach. Definitely a place you can chill out. We had a great room with a terrific view, only downer was no balcony but wasn't willing to lose the view to get another room with a balcony which was offered but with a not so good view. The reception staff were AWESOME, very helpful and very courteous. Clara definitely is a plus for that department. The housekeeping staff..sorry to say they sort of let the hotel down. Minor things but they need to improve. Running out of toilet paper is not good, neither is not changing the glasses in the room daily. The restaurant was Italian and delicious. The breakfast, in my opinion, not worth it. It's definitely continental and same thing each morning..eggs and bacon are available for an added charge. Honestly I have had better continental breakfasts at lower standard motels. The guys doing the breakfast were great, they work hard and are very nice. I have to say there's on girl who works for the restaurant, blonde haired waitress who really needs a course in dealing with the public. She has absolutely no manners, and never smiles. At one point she actually ignored my wife when my wife was asking about an order we placed. Not good customer service there. Other than this I'd definitely return but only if the housekeeping department picked up their act.

Room Tip: I'd say to book a superior room on the top floor with a balcony. Keep your room windows closed...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
URPortofino, Gerente at Hotel UR Portofino, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time and giving us your feedback and we really appreciate your comments.

I already spoke with my Housekeeping team and I am sure with your feedback and our action plan, during your next visit you will explore improvements.

Once again, Thank you and hope to welcome you soon again.

Warm Regards,

Juan Francisco Sevilla
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Hotel portofino is situted in a great location near to the airport beaches and Palma. I have previously stayed at a nearby hotel in Can Pastilla and I'm so pleased I chose the Portofino Hotel this time . For the same price the rooms are much better presented, although small they are very clean and tidy with a modern bathroom . Forget the negative reports about the staff they are very attentive and helpful . The restaurant provides top quality pizzas ... They are massive and real value for money.. For an Hotel of this price range you can't go wrong and I would stay here again and recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and I will share these with my Team.

I am sure they are very pleased, excited and proud to read that you find the staff attentive and helpful.

we hope to welcome you back soon again at the UR Portofino Hotel.

Warm regards,

UK
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Clean and comfortable bedroom with a very good bathroom. Very helpful and friendly staff. Huge very tasty pizzas in the restaurant. Two minute stroll to beach and easy access to central Palma. Excellent value for money. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: upgrade to sea view room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank UkHenryMac
URPortofino, Gerente at Hotel UR Portofino, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear clients,

Thank you for your nice comments and we hope to welcome you back soon again at the UR Portofino Hotel.

Warm regards,

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Situated near the airport and right on the beach, this hotel has a great location.

However, that was the only thing that I liked about this hotel. It had some of the rudest staff Ive come across during a 3 week trip across Europe. I waited at the bar for 10 minutes for someone to serve me, during this time several waiters, waitresses and barmen came to the bar, got drinks for people and left - without even acknowledging me. Whether its not the way they do things i dont know, but surely being polite to people is a given, whether they are not supposed to approach the bar or not. I also went to reception to ask a question about the wi-fi and it took a good minute or so for the receptionist to acknowledge me, and then another few minutes for her to answer my question.

My room was tiny, appliances that I did have wouldnt fit in the plug sockets for some reason, the tv had no sound and I had no toilet roll.

Tbh I couldnt wait to leave.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Gigglypuff2
, Director General at Hotel UR Portofino, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear Guest

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback and for sharing with us your impressions on our Hotel UR Portofino.

I have read your comments and I am sorry to hear that we did not manage to reach the usual positive quality of our service standards.

Our aim is to always provide an excellent service, basing ourselves on the idea of constant improvement and in the careful training and quality of all our employees.

The UR Portofino Team would like to welcome you back in the future and have the opportunity to demonstrate that your experience was an exceptional case and that we are prepared to fulfill the standards of our company.

Once again I would like to express to you my gratitude.

Yours faithfully

Reviewed 8 June 2012

We have just had our second visit to The Portofino and were not dissapointed.A good value hotel with nice swimming pool ,2mins to lovely beach,eateries and walkway into Palma (took two 60 yearolds 1 hour ).The restaurant at the UR is very good for huge pizzas(share one if your not starving)but the staff lack any charm and seem a bit disinterested in their customers .Rooms in the hotel a small but adequate if you are tidy ,nice and clean with comfy beds and plenty of towels.Go and enjoy the experience

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank siddy5
, Director General at Hotel UR Portofino, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear Guest

On behalve of the whole team we would like to say " Muchas Gracias".

We hope to welcome you soon again and sending you sunny regards from Mallorca.