This is my second stay at the Valparaiso Palace. My partner and I visited for a mini break in the Spring of 2009, and we had such a great time that we vowed to go back. The hotel is situated back from the main westbound costal road out of Palma at Porto Pi. It sits nicely nestled into the hillside with views of both Palma and its neighbouring bay to the right and left. It’s about 20 minutes in a taxi from the airport at a cost of about €20. Several buses also stop along the route, but this would require an additional walk up the steep hill so not really viable with lots of luggage.
Reception is large and grand and the front desk staff are courteous and helpful. The hotel has a main restaurant where they serve a buffet breakfast of all varieties. There is also a bar/restaurant with terrace serving lunch and dinner. The menu is varied Pizza, Pasta, salads and sandwiches to oriental dishes or from the grill, and the food is of a good standard. A plain pizza or sandwich is around €11 and the more formal meals start at around €15. Drinks are – as seems to be the norm at hotel bars – on the pricey side.
The hotel has two swimming pools which are set in well kept picturesque grounds. Sun loungers are modern and plentiful. Both pools are large, very clean and are salt water. Avid swimmers beware and take your goggles!
We opted for a Junior suite and had a fantastic view of the bay of Palma. Our room was spacious and clean with a queen size bed, lounge area, dressing area and desk. We had two flat screen TV’s, 2 direct dial telephones and a mini bar. Our balcony had a small table and chairs. The hotel provide toiletries which are of a good standard and replenished daily, every room has a hair dryer, bath robes, slippers and additional beach/spa towels. There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms, which is a bit of a pain if you like to wake up with a warm drink. It means ordering room service, or going straight to breakfast. Our room was tired looking in places. Cigarette burns on the bedside tables, stained old carpet, cracks on the coffee table. The rooms definitely need an overhaul and some modernisation
The thing that really makes the hotel something special is the Spa which is open to all hotel guests. There’s an indoor/outdoor spa pool, Jacuzzi, several types of steam room and shower ‘experiences’. In addition there are several exceptional chill out areas. So if it’s relaxation you need, this really is the hotel that delivers. I haven’t booked any treatments, but I noticed a standard massage was about €70. The facilities in the spa are excellent, towels are provided and the changing rooms are well equipped with free lockers, toiletries and hairdryers, and are clean and modern. Excellent if you have a late flight and need somewhere to get ready for your journey home after check out.
Nearby there are several restaurants, more notably the Porto Pi centre which is a shopping mall and entertainment centre with a large gym, bowling alley and lots of restaurants. There is also a rather average looking Chinese restaurant on the corner. It doesn’t look up to much, but don’t be fooled by appearances as the food was delicious and the staff exceptionally customer focussed.
A short taxi ride away eastbound is the city of Palma, and about the same distance westbound is the port of portals which has a beautiful sandy beach with a lovely bar ‘Roxy Bar’ nestled into the edging rocks. Both have a great selection of bars and restaurants.
Overall a fabulous holiday and will definitely venture back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in an excellent location overlooking Palma de Mallorca's bay and sourrounded by magnificent gardens, yet only a few minutes from the city center. Rooms: large, luxurious rooms and suites, fully equipped with a furnished bathroom, hair dryer, bathrobe, heating / air-conditioning, Sat-TV, minibar, safety deposit box and terrace with a magnificent panoramic view. Spa & Wellness Center: The Nayara Spa invites you to relax in a truly luxurious style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your GPRO Valparaiso Palace & SPA reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grupotel Valparaiso Palace Hotel Palma De Mallorca
- GPRO Valparaiso Palace & SPA Palma De Mallorca, Majorca