“Tasting menu”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Moscow
“Tasting menu”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The food was delicious! Staff was very friendly.
Juan Maria and Elena also were friendly and pleasant people.
It's quite expensive (about 170 euro per person for tasting menu with glass of champagne).

Visited March 2012
3 Thank alff2000
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
“A Life Time Experience”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My husband and I traveled to Donostia to taste the best of the Basque food. We were not disappointed with Arzak. It was a wonderful experience. The food, the service, the attention to detail was masterfully orchestrated. We went for lunch, and we were very happy to do so. Dinner time would have been to hard to digest before going to bed. It is a very intimate restaurant with a very knowledgeable staff. The food was a pleasure to look at and a symphony to the palate. I am looking forward to try again his creations. At the end of the meal they will provide you with your personalized menu, everything you ordered, including the name of the wine you had. Arzak is a maestro at his craft. Salud!

• Visited May 2011
4 Thank griselda p
Vilnius
“Fantastic experience!”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Arzak experience is a MUST at least once in a lifetime!

1 Thank emporiodikat
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Clever, but not for me”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The puddings were lovely. The waiter was great. The table was beautiful. The wine was delicious. The free Cava, kind. The attention from the Chef Patron, exciting and fun.

The tasting menu: Very very pretty, and cleverly executed - but I felt that many of the food combinations were strange and did not work.

Sure, there will often be something you don't like much on a tasting menu (the monkfish liver at Noma was not for me, and I wasn't sure about the sea urchin at El Celler) BUT sadly, and it is sad, because I was excited, and it was allot of money - I did not enjoy most dishes. So many flavours were at odds with each other, and so often they were unbalanced.

Technically they are incredibly clever. The Mead and Fractal Fluid was mesmerizing - I'll always remember that.

I hate to say it, but my night bar hopping in the old town of San Sebastian was infinitely more enjoyable and food-wise.

• Visited February 2012
4 Thank Trufflehoney
California
“maybe one of our best meals ever”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

San Sebastian – Dinner at Arzak, Avenida Alcalde Elosegui. We enjoyed an amazing experience, with truly wondrous food. I must note that, while the service was not as elegant and “fine” as one might expect from a three star restaurant, it was for the most part polished and attentive and, at the same time, friendly; which is not, in my experience, easy to accomplish. Forgive me if I wax perhaps overly poetic, but Elena Arzak Espina's creations that night (and I know that on another night it might not be so) truly were fascinating and visually beautiful, worthy of inspection and examination before tasting; some dishes yielded tastes that were perfectly pure and simple, others exploded with complex flavors and textures. Here, we encountered a mastery of cutting edge, innovative technique, wielded by a Chef to showcase flavor, without pretension, without need to impress, without molecular gastronomy’s occasionally overt preciousness, and without technical wizardry and excess for their own sake. All of us were amazed at how rusticity and regional tradition could meld so seamlessly with the most modern and creative technique. As you can tell, I was one very happy diner! The mind-blowing procession of courses and dishes: “Ham and tomato smoke,” “Corn, figs, and black pudding,” “Kabroaka pudding with kataifi,” “Marinated tuna and melon,” “cloud with pepper”; “Cromlech with onion, coffee and tea,” “Lobster Corailline,” “Tapioca salad with citrus,” “Dusted egg and mussel,” Crab with anise waves”; “Low tide monkfish,” Red seaweed,” “Smoked cinnamon and tuna,” “Peach curd with seaweed”; “Pigeon with orange and corn,” “Leg confit,” “Beef with vegetable screens,” “Aromatic verbena, chard, and lamb,” “Crispy milk and vegetables”; “Soup and chocolate ‘between vineyards,’” “Playing marbles with chocolate,” “Mead and fractal fluid,” “Pistachio and beetroot stone,” and “Ice cream selection” and, of course, mignardises. Yes, cleverness and whimsy were present, but it seemed natural and unforced. We drank a 2005 Jacques Girardin Morgeot and a 1995 La Rioja Alta’s Gran Reserva 890. After our meal, Elena (yes, she was so friendly that I feel I can call her by her first name) invited our own chef "A" and the rest of us to visit the kitchen, smiled for group photos, invited "A" back any time to cook with her, signed books and menus, and just flat out charmed us with her warmth and sincerity. My wife and I have dined at many famous and favored restaurants; this was one of the few times where the expense undoubtedly was worth it, the experience was truly wonderful, maybe one of our best meals ever, and the desire to return is genuine. I sincerely suggest you do not miss the opportunity to dine here.

Visited October 2011