See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 June 2016

The shower head was broken, and sprayed all over the room. When we asked the front desk to fix it, he came and changed the hose without repairing the showerheaday or mopping at all. We thought about asking for a different room but decided it would be more trouble than it was worthe for our 2 night stay.

However, we were able to get our single load of laundry done overnight, which was great. The musty smell in the lobby, ragged carpet and dim stairway left us feeling that we got about what we paid for.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2016

Firstly let me say that for proximity to the Guggenheim this place cannot be beat but......and this is a massive but! I have never stayed in a noisier hotel, there was a near by night club pumping out beats until 4am and the single pane windows had no chance of keeping that out or indeed the noise from the motorway overpass just handily above the hotel.
But don't be fooled, the noise isn't just from the outside of the hotel you can hear every single thing in every room as if you are in the room with them. Like to hear your neighbours on the toilet? Or the people down the hall watching TV? Then look no further this is the place for you.
Having said all that I am sure if you are young and are going to be out all night at the club near the hotel you wouldn't mind so much but for me after a day and night trudging around the city all I want at 11 o'clock at night is clean bed and a bit of quiet and all I got was the clean bed.
So to recap if you are a twenty year old party kid on a budget then I would say go for it but if you are like me middle aged and like to sleep at night then really don't be tempted by the price it isn't worth it.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2016

This hotel is not to far from the Guggenheim...just beyond a nice little plaza near the river. The staff were great, very welcoming, willing to help, a fountain of information. The rooms and en suite bathrooms are a really good size - a better size than the hotel I used previusly in Bilbao. The beds were really comfortable and there was a toasty hot radiator controlled by a thermostat.(Handy as Bilbao was rainy and cold that night) I enjoyed my brief stay here but the decor is slightly dated. Some people might find the busy road just next to the hotel a problem - I could see pedestrians walking past, slightly funny but I'm sure that they couldn't see anything. However having just come back from walking the camino, I slept very soundly.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 January 2016

Wonderful weekend in this cultural city. La Salve was basic but very clean, comfortable and the staff very helpful. Very good value and an excellent base for a low cost trip. Bilbao is a beautiful city. Enjoyed the Guggenheim Bilbao museum and all the little bars came alive at night. Transport is very cheap and there are lots of things to do.

Room Tip: Did not have a problem with noise and was at the front.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank becs619
Reviewed 29 December 2015

La Salve is north of Bilbao and outside the city centre though it is not far at all walking. If you come mainly for the Guggenheim Museum it might be a great place to stay.
The room is very basic but there is everything one needs.
I noticed though the towels were directly set on the bed cover which may not be the most hygienic... But rest was very clean. They also provide bath/shower gel (plenty of them!)
The staff is very helpful, friendly.
A taxi from the bus station to La Salve is about 15 euros.
Breakfast is maybe too light for some people: magdalena and coffee.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo