“Worst sleep ever”

Ranked #70 of 93 Granada B&B and Inns
UK
“Worst sleep ever”
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I'd booked a single room, on arrival they did not have any and put me in a triple room, which they tried to pass of as a good thing. They also asked me to pay for the entire stay upfront, and they did not give me a receipt, even when I mentioned it. This room was on the ground floor, it was cold and just depressing. The loud heater is set to come on for 15-20 seconds and than turn off for 10 minutes, the room never heated up during the first night. I tried to sleep fully dressed. The walls are paper thin, I could very clearly hear the conversations in the room next to mine. The heating/ plumbing system is located somewhere very close to this room and all night it made loud, horrible screeching and grating noises. Needless to say, I did not sleep at all during the night.

In the morning I asked to be moved to another room, they seemed reluctant but eventually found me a room with no ensuite like I'd booked, I did not care, I just wanted to sleep. And what do you know, the heating was not working at all in the second room. They gave me a tiny heater, which eventually did make the temperature in the room tolerable. The second night I managed to get 4 hours sleep. The room was a bit better in terms of noise and fitout (even without a bathroom). Which made me realise the "triple room" that they gave me the first night was their most cheapest accommodation and not what I had booked or paid for.

I've stayed in a few hostels during my travels and have always found them to be basic but good. I've paid exactly the same elsewhere and have enjoyed my stays. It made my time in Granada not very enjoyable as I was just exhausted during the entire stay. If you want a good nights sleep, find something else. If you still go to this hostel, try and avoid all rooms on the ground floor and don't count on getting what you book.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank kiwi121
guadalupegarcia, Gerente at Hostal AB, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Hi, We apologize for any inconvenience. Perhaps you will get other impresion of our accommodation in Granada if you have travel not alone. I notice you are always a solo traveller, why ? It´s better to travel with other people to get other opinions. I hope you enjoy the Alhambra and the rest of the nice monuments we have in Granada.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Asilah, Morocco
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Just spent 3 relaxing days in Granada staying at Hostal AB. A fantastic hostel/hotel in the heart of the city. You will not get better accomodation than this at the price, and his staff go out of their way to be helpful and friendly, in a very genuine way. Hope to return in July, and will certainly be booking into Hostal AB

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
We were pleased to learn that you liked both the hotel as well as the surroundings.
We hope top welcome you again in the future
Yours sincerely.
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Nice and very helpful service, clean, not expensive, change of sheets, kitchen, close to city centre (10min walking)

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
malaga
Reviewed 28 May 2010

My friends and I loved it here. It wasn't very fancy, but it was extremely cheap, extremely clean, and an extremely pleasant place to say (in terms of the staff). Everything was tidy, and it was a plus to have sink in the room. I'd say it takes about a ten minute walk to get to the cathedral area, which is not bad at all. I would recommend this to anyone. It is very close to buses going/coming from the train station/bus station. I still cannot believe we paid so little for it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 15 October 2009

I stayed here in September based on the good reviews on the site however it was a mistake.

I booked a private single room but when i arrived at the hostel, i was walked around the corner and down the road to a block of flats where i would be staying. The main road the flat overlooked is currently being dug up as they are building a metro system and station so you can imagine all the dust and noise from this on your doorstep. These roadworks are going to go on for some time yet so you've been warned!

Also, my room was not private as I was based in a flat with two other rooms. The room was dull and not cosy at all. The curtain looked 20yr old and never washed. The room had a smoky smell as the previous person had obviously smooked there and they had not even bothered to air it. The bathroom which was shared, not private at all as i thought, was disgusting. There was no toilet paper and noone came to check either!

The location is not great either as it is not near to the main tourist sites of Granada and you can find a more central hostel easily in Granada for the same price.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank guiltypleasure

Travellers are raving about these Granada hotels