“Absolutely Amazing! No bug seen at all!”

ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol
Ranked #13 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

My parents, boyfriend and I have been staying at this hotel since the 10th and we are staying here for ten days. Everything has been perfect!
The rooms are lovely, the food is amazing, soooo much choice! The staff here are all so friendly as well. The only complaint I have is that guests here are extremely rude but that is nothing to do with the hotel itself. Haven't heard of anyone having the bug so not sure if there was a bug breakout before we got here but heard no complaints since we've been here.
Had an amazing stay, don't want to leave!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank MeiBustin

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Hello, my partner and I plus our 21month old have been here for a lovely 10 days holiday.
The hotel is brilliant, the entertainment, the cleanliness, food and drink great!
We didn't get ill from food etc great!
The entertainment team is amazing! I was a bit dubious because it's the hotel staff that do evening entertainment instead of outside acts. Please don't be put off, the choreograph was brilliant! They really are a super talented group of people from around Europe. Well done guys!!! :-D
My favourite was the bumbalina and musical night. Full Monty was funny and the Michael Jackson bit was great! Fantastic!
Great choice of tv channels, shower is amazing!! Beautiful bathroom and comfy beds, gorgeous view from our balcony room 2203.
Noise on corridors from other people, lifts, cleaners in the morning was ok and as you would expect from any hotel without carpets.
Pools are lovely and vigorously monitored by the lifeguard for cleanliness. I saw them testing the water with chemical strips at least twice a day.
The food is lovely and I always found something nice to eat, breakfast dinner and tea. My partner is a little bit fussy and he said sometimes it tasted a bit bland but they have to cater for a wide range of guests so I can understand this is a massive problem. The food was always hot and great choice. My partner didn't like the pizza that's about it really. I am gluten intolerant but found loads to eat. yum!
The dinner hall is busy but we always got a table straight away and great service by staff, entertaining our toddler etc 10/10 :-)
Self service wine beer and soft drinks great! Wine ok but as you would expect from all Inclusive..hense why an alternative wine menu would be great.
I have visited quite a few all Inclusive resorts and have to say this scores highly but a few little improvements would give this lovely place a 5 * rating.
Loads of sunbeds anytime, no problem.
Chemist across the road and a little Irish bar.

I would like to suggest these improvements:
Ice creams/Ice lollies fresh fruit pots? for everyone during the day at the bars.
Waiter service around the pool for drink?(not that I minded going to the bar.. My partner suggested this.. haha)
Outside bbq night for tea? Bbq sardines and prawns are amazing in this area and we did go out a few times to eat these at our expense. A cheap way to gain a different experience for guests. Go for it guys :-D !!!
Tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms please would be a great bonus.
Maybe options to pay for alternative alcohol such as a nice bottle of wine or bottled beers? You can only get what's free from hotel and some nights we would have like to have paid for a nicer wine with dinner.

Dinner for kids is good too with chicken nuggets chips pasta burgers etc something for everyone. My son loved the splash park ❤

It's the first time I have visited southern Spain but I will defiantly be returning and very possibly to this hotel.
Keep up the good work guys!! A very good hotel which has been newly renovated beautifully.
I have to mention the staff again... AMAZING!!!! GIVE THEM A PAY RISE RIU HOTEL MR'S!!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank Meg S
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Just returned from a week here and can find no fault.

Fabulous rooms, wide choice of meals at 3 different restaurants, multiple bars as well as self service areas. Staff are all pleasant, entertainment, although much of which was by the entertainment team, was excellent.

Hotel is large but the spread of rooms, pools and bars did not make it feel packed. Would not have known there was anyone else in adjoining rooms it was that peaceful.

If you want to get about, taxi rank just outside and the train station is a short 10 minute stroll. Torremelinos town is about 2km walk, but a lot of steps to the top!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Kirsty S
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed 14th July to 28th as a party of 11 from 4 years old to 54 years old with a couple of teenagers too.

The hotel was spotless and the staff were great.
The place has a relaxed feel where nothing is a problem and a common sense approach is applied.
ie. no inflatables in the pool = don't cause other guests any problems with yours and it's no problem.

The food was nice and anyone that complains is either a fussy eater or a pie n chips monster. If you want pie n chips every day and the same English food you have at home stay at home or go to Blackpool. There's lots of choice with carved fresh cooked meat, local dishes, chips (but no pie), a salad bar with a good selection, burgers n hot dogs for the kids and picky eaters and a pasta station that could actually benefit from a bit more variety but that is the only thing.

3 pools, loads of sunbeds and no having to get up at the crack of dawn to get one.

Drinks stations that are self service for beer, wine, soft drinks, water, fruit juice and slush so no queueing all the time at the bar when it's hot.

I was a little worried about the reported bug before we went but none of us suffered with it or heard of any other guests suffering either so hopefully the hotel has sorted whatever was happening.

Great hotel that I would definitely visit again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
14  Thank whiskersYorkshire
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

This is a long review, but perseverance is key, and it'll be worth it at the end.
We visited this Hotel between 20/07/2017 and 03/08/2017.
We stayed here amidst a lot of anxiety surrounding a prior outbreak of a Gastro-bug. I hasten to add we were gutted when the negative reviews started to roll in, however absolutely delighted to have not witnessed a single clue to suggest there was bug about. Barely even an insect to be completely honest (not one mozzy bite either ;-)). Common sense prevails when minimising the risk of cross contamination etc, however there are anti-bac hand gels on every corner to help a little should the thought of washing your hands slip your mind.
The cleanliness of hotel is second to none. The hotel services team work tirelessly to keep this hotel absolutely spotless. The bedrooms, the toilets, the bars, the tables, the floors, the pool, the gardens, everywhere and everything - ABSOLUTELY GLEAMING.
The people working here to keep it that way are beautiful, happy and well mannered. Well worth a tip.

This hotel is absolutely outstanding. After having a period of no holidays for a short while, we had very high hopes, and the Riu Costa del Sol met everyone of them.
I'm not entirely sure where to start if I'm honest. It was top draw in every way, and maintains Riu's reputation very well.
We were situated in the main block, the Original Bellplaya, on the 8th floor (Room 1802), with optional room upgrade, and a sea view. The view of Torremolinos and the coastline from that height is exceptional, though I did discover a possible phobia of heights, especially with young children present.
The Room was very well presented, with all the mod cons. Flatscreen TV, refrigerator, and safe included in the price.
I had only one fault with the room, and one fault only. I travelled here with my wife and children. One of the kids stayed with the Grandparents next door, taking turns. Which left three beds in our room. Or so it would seem. The master bed was two single beds (albeit large single beds) pushed together, and made separately, with single sheets etc. I found this to be not ideal being a young married couple, who appreciate a cuddle at night when the kids are asleep. The finest things in life are free, or actually quite expensive so it would seem. The room upgrade was a £400 option, however the bed situation did not meet our ideal. I approached reception to see what the options were (Having stayed in hotels in the past, with similar situations, who found no drama in swapping the mattresses). We were told they did not have bigger mattresses at this hotel, which was maybe a blatant lie or part language barrier. Nevertheless, the in laws, next door had a king size mattress in place. Which was gutting as I found out my father in law/best mate, preferred to sleep on the sofa bed, which made the 3rd bed in each room.
You win some you lose some.

Next on to dining.
The food was lush. Having a fussy wife and daughter who takes after her to cater for, the options here did very well. The main dining area - the 'AjoBlanco' provided a vast array of dishes from around the globe, Including but not limited to Chinese, Indian, Russian, and European including English, French, Spanish and German dishes, in a 'buffet' set up. There was something there for everyone. And for everyone else, there were hotdogs, cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, 1/2 chickens, chicken/turkey breast, Steak (veal), and a serious amount of Pork......!!
And Salad, lots of beautiful, fresh salad.
And Spanish tomatoes, don't ever forget the Spanish tomatoes ;-)

There is an Italian restaurant - La Dolce Vita. This was slightly different in its setup. The starter (and dessert If I remember correctly, we only visited once) were from the buffet, and the main course was from the menu. What I enjoyed most about the Italian restaurant was that the Wines and Beer, were served via carafes which were left at your table, whilst eating. (An excellent touch I thought - Beer from a carafe? It was biblical) The Tiramisu was decent at best.

Saving the best til last, my personal favourite, and from the family consensus, everyone's favourite, the Andalusian Restaurant - Maria Sardinia. Buffet style again. This was actually quite authentic in its style and taste. Plenty of sea food (Homey loves sea food) and various other garnished meats and treats made this the tastiest of all bait boxes for me and mine. They also cater for a few English (ideal for kids etc) and other European dishes, though this is a predominantly Spanish bait box. We actually visited this place every day, at least for breakfast and lunch (of this place and the main dining buffet, the Maria Sardinia was much less busy at both breakfast and lunch times, which makes a good change to starting your day off well, trust me)
I must add, you need to submit your room numbers and party size to reception, the day before, when booking the Italian and Andalusian restaurants for your evening meals. The only times we used the AjoBlanco for evening meals, were when we forgot to book the Maria Sardinia ;-)

Drinks are on tap until 6-7am or there abouts, when the sports bar closes. Though there are self serve taps for the important stuff poolside.
Vino Tinto - the red to you and me, was actually alright. Cheap red gives me heart burn, this didn't. Was tasty enough, and good with most food, and cheese for dessert. I'd probably dodge it with sugary desserts.
I didn't try the white wine.
I did however try 'The local Beer' Cruzcampo. I've read a million and one reviews on trip advisor about the beer being similar to the proverbial urine, however those who know, KNOW.
Cruzcampo is a Spanish lager at around 5% abv, though I think it's underrated, probably 5.4/5.5%, La Liga is covered in Cruzcampo, like British football was once covered in Carling. ITS A GOOD SLURP. I also like San Miguel, which is available across the road at around 49p per can, ideal for the fridge in the pad.
Seriously though, 12-15 halfs of that Cruzcampo, and you can keep ya king size mattress, I'm sleeping in the wardrobe, with the Mrs' bikini on, and a snorkel.
The Bars (I lost count of how many there are) do provide select few drinks that aren't as local, for those who like something a bit stronger (Beefeater Gin, Smirnoff vidka, and Baileys (which we became quite accustomed to having as a night cap) in the reception area.

The Entertainment - fantasmagorical.
I hadn't laughed so much at a bloke dressed as a woman in a long time. The comedy sketch was great. The themed music night were mint (Juke box being my favourite night) the effort put in to the performances and the choreography were brilliant, admittedly not for everyone, but brilliant nonetheless. The entertainment squad at this place were none stop, working crazy hours, and always smiling and on top of the world. Grafting day and night, keeping people amused. Various sports and pool activities during the day and musical extravaganzas after dark.
The Securidad were good blokes too. Took a selfie with one. I didn't catch the lads name either. Bit gutted about that.

Out and about, we visited Puerto Banus, Marbella, Fuengirola, Benalmadena, and Torremolinos centre. The centre is roughly 20 minutes stroll along the cost, and worth every step. Vast array of shops for everything, you'd get at home, but you're on holiday, so have a look.
There is a train station 'La Colina' about 10 minutes walk from the hotel, which will cost €4.10 each (inc kids) for a return to Fuengirola, where you can then get on a coach to Marbella (coach cost roughly €2 each, with returns unavailable to/from Marbella).
Fuengirola has a brilliant market. Well worth a visit. Fuengirola is the last train stop, so you can't miss it.
I've talked/typed myself half to sleep here. I can't remember everything I've said, and whether I covered everything I wanted to.
Ultimately the only thing that matters here is your vacation, and how the opinion of others help influence your choices.
Let me put it this way, if I was given another opportunity, would I book this hotel again. I absolutely would. I might think again about the room upgrade. But on the whole, this hotel provides a brilliant stay, and decent value for money.
It's a decent all rounder, and is excellent for families, couples, and everything in between. I go as far as saying we'll probably visit again in the not too distant future.
Keep it up Riu, and thanks for a very pleasant experience indeed.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family