“Great Hotel = Great Holiday”

ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol
Ranked #13 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed 14th July to 28th as a party of 11 from 4 years old to 54 years old with a couple of teenagers too.

The hotel was spotless and the staff were great.
The place has a relaxed feel where nothing is a problem and a common sense approach is applied.
ie. no inflatables in the pool = don't cause other guests any problems with yours and it's no problem.

The food was nice and anyone that complains is either a fussy eater or a pie n chips monster. If you want pie n chips every day and the same English food you have at home stay at home or go to Blackpool. There's lots of choice with carved fresh cooked meat, local dishes, chips (but no pie), a salad bar with a good selection, burgers n hot dogs for the kids and picky eaters and a pasta station that could actually benefit from a bit more variety but that is the only thing.

3 pools, loads of sunbeds and no having to get up at the crack of dawn to get one.

Drinks stations that are self service for beer, wine, soft drinks, water, fruit juice and slush so no queueing all the time at the bar when it's hot.

I was a little worried about the reported bug before we went but none of us suffered with it or heard of any other guests suffering either so hopefully the hotel has sorted whatever was happening.

Great hotel that I would definitely visit again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
14  Thank whiskersYorkshire
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

This is a long review, but perseverance is key, and it'll be worth it at the end.
We visited this Hotel between 20/07/2017 and 03/08/2017.
We stayed here amidst a lot of anxiety surrounding a prior outbreak of a Gastro-bug. I hasten to add we were gutted when the negative reviews started to roll in, however absolutely delighted to have not witnessed a single clue to suggest there was bug about. Barely even an insect to be completely honest (not one mozzy bite either ;-)). Common sense prevails when minimising the risk of cross contamination etc, however there are anti-bac hand gels on every corner to help a little should the thought of washing your hands slip your mind.
The cleanliness of hotel is second to none. The hotel services team work tirelessly to keep this hotel absolutely spotless. The bedrooms, the toilets, the bars, the tables, the floors, the pool, the gardens, everywhere and everything - ABSOLUTELY GLEAMING.
The people working here to keep it that way are beautiful, happy and well mannered. Well worth a tip.

This hotel is absolutely outstanding. After having a period of no holidays for a short while, we had very high hopes, and the Riu Costa del Sol met everyone of them.
I'm not entirely sure where to start if I'm honest. It was top draw in every way, and maintains Riu's reputation very well.
We were situated in the main block, the Original Bellplaya, on the 8th floor (Room 1802), with optional room upgrade, and a sea view. The view of Torremolinos and the coastline from that height is exceptional, though I did discover a possible phobia of heights, especially with young children present.
The Room was very well presented, with all the mod cons. Flatscreen TV, refrigerator, and safe included in the price.
I had only one fault with the room, and one fault only. I travelled here with my wife and children. One of the kids stayed with the Grandparents next door, taking turns. Which left three beds in our room. Or so it would seem. The master bed was two single beds (albeit large single beds) pushed together, and made separately, with single sheets etc. I found this to be not ideal being a young married couple, who appreciate a cuddle at night when the kids are asleep. The finest things in life are free, or actually quite expensive so it would seem. The room upgrade was a £400 option, however the bed situation did not meet our ideal. I approached reception to see what the options were (Having stayed in hotels in the past, with similar situations, who found no drama in swapping the mattresses). We were told they did not have bigger mattresses at this hotel, which was maybe a blatant lie or part language barrier. Nevertheless, the in laws, next door had a king size mattress in place. Which was gutting as I found out my father in law/best mate, preferred to sleep on the sofa bed, which made the 3rd bed in each room.
You win some you lose some.

Next on to dining.
The food was lush. Having a fussy wife and daughter who takes after her to cater for, the options here did very well. The main dining area - the 'AjoBlanco' provided a vast array of dishes from around the globe, Including but not limited to Chinese, Indian, Russian, and European including English, French, Spanish and German dishes, in a 'buffet' set up. There was something there for everyone. And for everyone else, there were hotdogs, cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, 1/2 chickens, chicken/turkey breast, Steak (veal), and a serious amount of Pork......!!
And Salad, lots of beautiful, fresh salad.
And Spanish tomatoes, don't ever forget the Spanish tomatoes ;-)

There is an Italian restaurant - La Dolce Vita. This was slightly different in its setup. The starter (and dessert If I remember correctly, we only visited once) were from the buffet, and the main course was from the menu. What I enjoyed most about the Italian restaurant was that the Wines and Beer, were served via carafes which were left at your table, whilst eating. (An excellent touch I thought - Beer from a carafe? It was biblical) The Tiramisu was decent at best.

Saving the best til last, my personal favourite, and from the family consensus, everyone's favourite, the Andalusian Restaurant - Maria Sardinia. Buffet style again. This was actually quite authentic in its style and taste. Plenty of sea food (Homey loves sea food) and various other garnished meats and treats made this the tastiest of all bait boxes for me and mine. They also cater for a few English (ideal for kids etc) and other European dishes, though this is a predominantly Spanish bait box. We actually visited this place every day, at least for breakfast and lunch (of this place and the main dining buffet, the Maria Sardinia was much less busy at both breakfast and lunch times, which makes a good change to starting your day off well, trust me)
I must add, you need to submit your room numbers and party size to reception, the day before, when booking the Italian and Andalusian restaurants for your evening meals. The only times we used the AjoBlanco for evening meals, were when we forgot to book the Maria Sardinia ;-)

Drinks are on tap until 6-7am or there abouts, when the sports bar closes. Though there are self serve taps for the important stuff poolside.
Vino Tinto - the red to you and me, was actually alright. Cheap red gives me heart burn, this didn't. Was tasty enough, and good with most food, and cheese for dessert. I'd probably dodge it with sugary desserts.
I didn't try the white wine.
I did however try 'The local Beer' Cruzcampo. I've read a million and one reviews on trip advisor about the beer being similar to the proverbial urine, however those who know, KNOW.
Cruzcampo is a Spanish lager at around 5% abv, though I think it's underrated, probably 5.4/5.5%, La Liga is covered in Cruzcampo, like British football was once covered in Carling. ITS A GOOD SLURP. I also like San Miguel, which is available across the road at around 49p per can, ideal for the fridge in the pad.
Seriously though, 12-15 halfs of that Cruzcampo, and you can keep ya king size mattress, I'm sleeping in the wardrobe, with the Mrs' bikini on, and a snorkel.
The Bars (I lost count of how many there are) do provide select few drinks that aren't as local, for those who like something a bit stronger (Beefeater Gin, Smirnoff vidka, and Baileys (which we became quite accustomed to having as a night cap) in the reception area.

The Entertainment - fantasmagorical.
I hadn't laughed so much at a bloke dressed as a woman in a long time. The comedy sketch was great. The themed music night were mint (Juke box being my favourite night) the effort put in to the performances and the choreography were brilliant, admittedly not for everyone, but brilliant nonetheless. The entertainment squad at this place were none stop, working crazy hours, and always smiling and on top of the world. Grafting day and night, keeping people amused. Various sports and pool activities during the day and musical extravaganzas after dark.
The Securidad were good blokes too. Took a selfie with one. I didn't catch the lads name either. Bit gutted about that.

Out and about, we visited Puerto Banus, Marbella, Fuengirola, Benalmadena, and Torremolinos centre. The centre is roughly 20 minutes stroll along the cost, and worth every step. Vast array of shops for everything, you'd get at home, but you're on holiday, so have a look.
There is a train station 'La Colina' about 10 minutes walk from the hotel, which will cost €4.10 each (inc kids) for a return to Fuengirola, where you can then get on a coach to Marbella (coach cost roughly €2 each, with returns unavailable to/from Marbella).
Fuengirola has a brilliant market. Well worth a visit. Fuengirola is the last train stop, so you can't miss it.
I've talked/typed myself half to sleep here. I can't remember everything I've said, and whether I covered everything I wanted to.
Ultimately the only thing that matters here is your vacation, and how the opinion of others help influence your choices.
Let me put it this way, if I was given another opportunity, would I book this hotel again. I absolutely would. I might think again about the room upgrade. But on the whole, this hotel provides a brilliant stay, and decent value for money.
It's a decent all rounder, and is excellent for families, couples, and everything in between. I go as far as saying we'll probably visit again in the not too distant future.
Keep it up Riu, and thanks for a very pleasant experience indeed.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
13  Thank Michael N
Reviewed 10 August 2017

Either some of the negative reviews have come from people who got the hotel name wrong in their review or............the hotel management have taken the negative comments on board and done something about it.

Was concerned, given our late arrival time, that there would be no food options late at night but there was a late night cold buffet for late check-in guests. A nice touch you don't see everywhere.

Plenty of sanitiser dispensers, so they've clearly taken those comments to heart and dealt with it. Certainly no complaints about the food - lovely variety and well cooked in both the main and two speciality restaurants. It's not Michelin star quality, as some people seem to expect, but you're never going to get that when you have to cater for over 1000 people at a pop. And again, saw none of the hygiene issues in guests that have been hinted at before.

Rooms and hotel were clean throughout, entertainment was very family friendly and the entertainment team were great. In fact all the staff were perfectly friendly and helpful at all times.

What's not to like ?

4  Thank Straightbatecc
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Spent the last 2 weeks of July at this hotel and like others was worried about the negative reviews beforehand,really shouldn't of been.

Rooms were spotless in fact everywhere around the hotel was and the staff worked incredibly hard to keep it that way.

Food varied and always hot and self service drinks machines dotted around,beer was very drinkable as were the spirits only the cocktails were poor as pre-mix but it did keep queuing down to an absolute minimum.

All in all the best All-Inclusive I have been to so good in fact that another 2 weeks have been booked already next summer

2  Thank glawsdave
Reviewed 9 August 2017

My wife and I took our grandchildren (13 & 9) to the Riu Clubhotel Costa Del Sol for a week from 27 July 2017. We booked early in the year and, having seen all the earlier reviews concerning gastro enteritis, ventured forth with some trepidation. As it turned out, our fears were not justified as we saw no sign of ill health or ‘bugs’ and we all had a great time. Particularly the children. If there ever had been bugs the staff at the Riu had done a great job in wiping it out and were continuing to ensure that it did not return. The hotel was immaculately clean and well kept. Hand cleaning gel was stationed at all the restaurant entrances but, nevertheless, it was surprising how many of the guests ignored them and also refused to wash their hands on leaving the toilets. If anyone deserved to catch something it was these people.

The hotel, apparently, used to be 2 separate hotels until Riu took them over as one and refurbished them. The rooms, if ours was anything to go by, are a decent size and fixtures and fittings were in good condition. The bathroom also was clean and modern with a good shower. A new ‘fridge was available, also AC and a smart new ceiling fan. If there was one thing that needed some attention it was the entrance doors which have a strong door closer fitted. The inconsiderate persons among us feel justified in letting go of the door late at night/early hours and allow the door to slam with a loud bang to wake you up.

There are 3 decent sized pools available plus a splash area for the really young with a small slide and a variety of water squirting devices. The largest of the pools is labelled ‘infinity pool’ but it isn’t a true infinity pool as the view of beach and distant sea water is blocked by sunbeds and beach restaurants. It is, however, the most popular of the pools and therefore the noisiest.

There are also 3 restaurants serving dinner– the hotels main restaurant, the Ajo Blanco) and 2 speciality restaurants, the Ma Sardina serving Andalusian food and the La Dolce Vita serving Italian Food. The Ma Sardina was not vastly different from The Ajo Blanco and La Dolce Vita was, we found a bit of a disappointment. I had the sea food spaghetti which contained 2 large prawns and one prawn head and 2 very small pieces of crab stick. Apart from being a very small portion for a main course it was also very bland. Notwithstanding, the offerings in the main restaurant we found to be of good standard and there were sufficient choices available. Soup starters were always on offer and were a favourite of mine although every day bar one it was little more than warm. This is a frequent criticism of mine and I often wonder why hotels find it so difficult to produce hot soup.

Breakfast is served in 2 restaurants, the Ajo Blanco and the Ma Sardine and consists of both continental and the good old British breakfast. Coffee, unfortunately, is served in thermos jugs and is probably made by the first person arriving for work in the kitchens. Consequently, by the time they open at 08.00 it is only just warm and of thick, muddy appearance. The only time I had hot coffee was the first day at breakfast when I must have been lucky. Despite this, I found breakfast comprehensive and enjoyable.

Above all, this hotel can boast the most friendly, pleasant and polite staff, be they on the service side or the animation side, that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting in a holiday hotel. I can understand people in these positions having difficulty in trying to maintain friendliness and a smile 24/7 in this type of environment but here they never seem to falter. Always ready with a smile and a friendly chat, they are a credit to the Riu.

During the week we heard lots of favourable comments about the hotel from other guests. My wife and I certainly enjoyed it and the children loved it. They had a great time and made new friends. It is not the sort of holiday we would pick again unless we had the children with us but if you are taking children, we highly recommend the it.

5  Thank cobramaster