“Overcharged”

Ranked #202 of 1,559 Restaurants in Marbella
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Really important to check your bill here. We we're overcharged on several items. There are 3 sizes of portions and they gave us the small (tapas) portions but charged for larger ones. They also put a small plate of meat on the table while we were waiting and then charged for that. Waiting staff were very unpleasant when we challenged them. Will not return.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Three of us ate here at the beginning of last week which was the first night of our holiday. It was a quiet evening and we thought the food very good. At the end of the evening I noticed we had been charged for bread that we didn't order or eat as well as an extra glass of wine. I explained this to the waiter who immediately produced the correct bill and nothing more was said. At this time I thought this was a genuine mistake. We arranged to come back a few days later with a friend.

On the second evening four of us ate here; again the food was good, but not the service. When we arrived at the table a plate of bread and ham was given to us with the drinks. We had not ordered this and we thought it was given to us in good will. The first person to order asked for just a small plate of fruit as she was not feeling hungry. This did not come with our food and after she had been waiting for over 30 minutes she queried where it was. The waiter then asked what fruit she wanted and she answered that anything would suffice as she ate all fruits. The waiter suggested a couple of different fruits and she said yes she was happy with any fruit choice as she wasn't very hungry so any small plate of fruit would be ok. A plate of fruit came out with melon and pineapple which she was happy with, apart from that it was a large plate of fruit and it had taken over 45 minutes to arrive!

When the bill arrived it was clear that it wasn't correct and that there were 'added' extras that we were mistakenly charged for. I noticed that the small bread and ham given to us with our drinks had been charged at 2 Euros. However we had eaten it, and so I thought we should pay for it. Two breads had been added to the bill although we had not asked for them. A little of the bread had been eaten so I thought this should be paid for and as the bread had been cleared from the table an I could not prove otherwise. I noticed we had been charged for 2 fruit plates at 4.50 Euros each. In addition we had been charged for a main meal of 'beans and ham' at 9.95 Euros although had ordered a tapas size at 2.90 Euros (as all of our other choices had been). Overall our bill was 54.25 Euros instead of 42.70 - so 11.55 Euros more expensive - and this doesn’t include the 'extras' of bread and bread/ham that we had agreed to pay for at 4 Euros.

I called the male waiter over and explained the issue and he simply shouted at me (in Spanish) and stormed off in a huff. I went to the back of the restaurant where quite a few male waiters and one female were in order to ask for a menu so I could price my meal up. I was totally ignored for 5 minutes although I must have been seen by everyone there. No one would give me eye contact! I managed to get a menu from a waiter elsewhere and also managed to find a female English speaking waitress who agreed to come to our table and sort the problem out.

I wrote down everything we had eaten next to the bill and at first I thought she wanted to help us. However with the help of the original waiter we were shouted at in front of the restaurant as we had ordered two fruit plates and they thought this as they had given us two different fruits on the plate. We had not asked for this, and the reason they were asked twice is because they didn’t bring it out when we first ordered it! Then not only was I shouted at about the 'beans and ham' dish being a large size, the waitress brought two different size bowls from the kitchen and stood over me whilst I was sitting and shoved the two different bowl sizes in my face, she waved the bowls in front of my eyes and literally shouted at me. I remained calm although was very embarrassed for myself and my friends about being shouted at in front of all their customers.

I left enough money for everything we had eaten, plus a 10% tip on the plate (48 Euros) and we went to walk out which. As I walked out the female waitress shoved 5 euros and 30 cents back in my hand.

I am sorry but this is the worst experience I have ever had. Although the food was good, the staff should refrain from working with customers as their manner is appalling. I can only recommend no one visit this restaurant, and have given it a 1 start review.

1  Thank em1234
Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

My “local” for over 30 years!

This branch of the local Venencia chain is the epitome of a wonderful Spanish tapas bar.

Attracting locals and tourists alike, the quality and variety of tapas are second to none, service is efficient and prices are very reasonable.

For lunch, pre dinner drinks, dinner or a nightcap Venencia never disappoints!

Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

Service very rude. We wanted a bigger table in half empty restaurointi to have all tapas portions at same time on the table. Answer was: 4 person table is for 4 persons. To finish meal we asked some coffee. Answer was: We don’t have coffee. !!!???
We had ask invoice three times.
Tapas was OK.

Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

Good food and good price. Authentic Spanish food. Even though the guys had a bit of difficulty in speaking English they were really helpful. Best is to sit outside and eat food. Aubergine Tapas was good with sangria.