Hostal Centro Sol
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 August 2010

People at reception were very rude and unhospital. they even didn't say thank you when we paid; once, we were coming back to the hostel from the beach, we entered and the owner, instead of telling us "hi" as he should do, he shouted us: "what do you want, the hostel is complete!" the rooms were small, and the window was overlooking on a horrible, little and dirty atrium. the unique positive side was the ubication in the very center of the city.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank silvia_a83
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Amazingly central location that was completely spoilt by the noise - all the rooms lead off one central atrium that echoed through the flimsy doors and basically prevented me from sleeping for our stay. The owner was unnecessarily grumpy (I hate to think how rude he would have been if we couldn't speak Spanish), and it wasn't particularly good value for money. Only stay here if it's a last resort and you can't find anywhere else!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2008

Never have I encountered two people less suited to their profession - the concept of hospitality seems lost on the primitive pair of brutes who rule this shabby roost. I have no doubt that sitting all day in this stinking place might affect one’s mood, but that is no excuse for their behaviour. Initial unfriendliness soon descended into rudeness and was verging on the outright hostile by the time of our departure.

If this doesn’t put you off, consider these:

-You will be charged if you check out even a few minutes late;

-The beds are not only five feet long but are also covered with thick plastic incontinence sheets;

-The oppressive stench of human sewage pervades the entire hostel;

-The windows of many rooms open onto a tiny internal air shaft. This means no natural light, no fresh air and having to sleep to the echoes of people’s visits to the lavatory.

Centro Sol is also a particularly poor choice if you happen to hail from England. It was implied that, being English, we deserved bad treatment, as Brute Number 1 had experienced unfriendliness in Britain many years ago. It is unclear whether such grudges are held against citizens of other countries. However, I suggest you only go here if you're the kind of person who pays to be humiliated.

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LeGrandRoutard
Reviewed 12 November 2008

This so-called 'Hostel' is actually the stomping ground of really scary people who live every day of their lives enraged by the fact that they are still running a hostel when they would actually much prefer to be doing something else, ideally involving the opportunity to berate captive tourists but on some one else's property.

I can wholeheartedly re-inforce the above reviewer's sentiment regarding this hostel. the owners are big and scary and the rooms are small and smelly. the room cleaning lady was actually nice, but she didn't get on with the big guys either. my room also smelt of bad drains (as did the shower water) and the loos are laid out so that almost everyone in rooms around the central area can hear what every one else is 'getting up to' on their loo.

further, the owners like to shout and play radio and argue amongst themselves (when there aren't any tourists around to pick on), especially early in the morning. and be careful not to answer back in spanish if they speak to you in english. apparently this is a well-renowned sign of dis-respect.

However, Cadiz is AWESOME so do go, but whatever you do don't stay here.....unless you are into being intimidated by your hosts.

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank AAGillLondon
Reviewed 9 March 2008

okay. We booked that place because of a nice review in the Lonely Planet guide of Andalucia. There were no reviews on Trip Advisor, so we got nervous... But as there were not many good reviews on hotels in Cadiz, we decided to go anyway. The web site looked nice... BAD IDEA.

First, this is NOT an hostal, but a 2 stars PENSION, wich in UNDER hostals standards. Then, a tall guy answers the door, with a big and rude voice. He asked for all our passports. I didn't have mine, so he begins to talk rude to me about that... I mean c'mon! This is a PENSION, not a 4 stars hotel!

Then, the room... Small, definitly needind some fresh paint, paper thin sheets... And a nice view on a white wall... One of the worst room I've seen in my life, and I've seen a lot.

During our visit of Cadiz, my 71 years old mother twisted her ankle... (I was with my sister and my mother on this trip). So we got back to the "hotel" (...), and saw, right by our room, a piece of furniture with 3 towels on top. They were just there, so we figured they had put them there in case someone needed some extra towels (otherwise, i suppose you locked them somewhere, no?). So we took them, to put ice in them for my mother.

Next morning, when we came back from breakfast, we noticed that someone has been inside our room... And when we checked out, a couple of minutes later, the same big guy began to scold us again about us taking towels without asking permission... He kept on and on, in a very rude way, and the 3 of us felt like we were suddenly 5 years old... Imagine, scolding an old 71 years old woman, about taking towels without permission! This was RIDICULOUS!!! Then, he made us PAY 2 extra euros, for each towel, so an extra 6 EUROS!!! I COULD'NT BELIEVE IT!!! I've been in dozens and dozens of hotels in my life, and NEVER have I paid for extra towels!!!

Anyway, the guy was rude, had an unpleasant attitude and I would definitly NEVER return, and NEVER RECOMMEND this place to my worst ennemy.
All in all, it cost us 87 Euros for a bad night, in a bad pension, with rude service, and all that in LOW SEASON, must I say! Please, go somewhere else for that price!

They just deserve this bad review, and I'm happy to do it first!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family