New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Spa Cadiz Plaza

Hotel Spa Cadiz Plaza
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Cadiz
Austin, TX
“We really liked this place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

After 5 weeks on the Camino we just wanted some nice beach. We were only gong to stay in Cadiz for three days and then go to Morocco for a few days. A day trip convinced us that wasn't a great idea and we decided to stay on. Pretty much chose it off the tripadvisor site when I couldn't get a room at the Victoria.
The hotel is blah. The breakfast is blah. Servers in Spain drive me nuts. I like to sit outside and drink coffee while I read. Sometimes I smoke while I do it. So every morning I would head outside when I went down to breakfast. One day I told the girl I anted cafe con leche as I headed out. As mentioned by other reviewers, you get four items off the menu. I tended to get 4 cups of coffee. So I order it as I walk through. I do this because I know there will be at least a 10 minute wait before she comes out and takes my order. She freaks out, tells me to sit down first. She was not the first server in Spain to do that. Ten minutes later, she comes out and tells me I have to SIT first , then she will take my order. OK, I said. Cafe con leche, porfa. For pete's sake.
Anyway - nothing spectacular here - except the front desk. Very nice, helpful, friendly. The hair dryer in my room didn't work, so they ran out and bought a hair dryer for me. I wanted that day trip to Morocco, they showed me one and warned me off of it - recommended some others which I didn't listen to and paid a heavy price. (Don't go to Tangiers.) Sure, it sounds like what any hotel would do - but getting that kind of customer service is rare in Spain. It is clean and the beds were comfy and you can change the TV to English. Nothing fancy but absolutely nothing bad either.
It IS right next to the beach - a 1 minute walk. It is right next to excellent restaurants and a one minute walk from the bus stop that will take you to old town in 5 minutes. Or just walk up the promenade for 45 minutes. There is a really god bathing suit store on the corner opposite the beach and a good men's place across the park.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Chach63
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

The hotel's staff were really helpful, the reception were fluent in English and the breakfast staff happy to manage with our limited Spanish. The hotel is near a great beach, good restaurants and a short bus ride to the centre of town. We recommend this hotel if you are looking for a great surf beach at your door.

Room Tip: Noisy at night so stay as high as possible
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank UKEUtravellers
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Although the staff are very polite and helpful the hotel's policies suck. The so called free minibar on your first night consists of 2 bottles (small) of water and 2 (small) cartons of orange juice. Breakfast is restricted to just 4 items off the menu and no refills!

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Martynwebb58
New York Mills, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have been at the hotel with my husband and we chose it because is very good located. However, what surprised us was the friendly and helpful staff and the cleaning.
We had a very pleasant stay and we loved the spa... very relaxing and higly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RebeccaT42
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

The Spa Cadiz Plaza is a warm and friendly hotel, just around the corner from the beach and access to miles of scenic beach front walkway filled with lovely restaurants and bars. We found two restaurants in particular that were exceptional . For great tapas try Arana, and if you are looking for a superb meal in the evening - Arte Serrano (was so good we went twice).
The hotel is located on Victoria Plaza where the "hop on-hop off" bus tour stops, so very convenient to walk less than a minute and catch this bus; which is a wonderful way to get an overview of the city, and then decide on your destinations of interest.
The staff always greet you with a pleasant smile, are very helpful, accommodating, and speak English. The only strange thing is that since we booking online and got a great rate, our breakfast was not included. However, since we like to venture out to the seaside for coffee, this was not an issue. We also did not try the spa facilities, but they seemed reasonably priced. Our room was clean and comfortable, and the hotel overall, well maintained. We loved our 4 day stay here and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony overlooking the plaza is nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple