New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #17 of 100 Hotels in Leipzig
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2009

This hotel was a great value for the price. For 65 or 75 Euro (can't remember exactly) a night including breakfast, we figured it would be alright, but we were quite pleasantly surprised. The staff was friendly and polite and multilingual. Our room was comfortable and more than adequate. The breakfast was great- what a spread!
It was a little bit out of the downtown, but not too far from a street-car line. I imagine a taxi wouldn't be too terribly expensive either.
We loved Leipzig too- great restaurants, great stores, lots to see! We hope to go back there, and if we do, we will stay in this hotel again.

• Liked — it was a comfortable atmosphere and a great breakfast
  • Disliked — it was about a 10 min walk to the street-car. normally not a big deal but it was cold in November!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank mack09
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2007

This hotel is outside of the city centre in a fairly quiet suburb. Unlike other reviewers, we didn't use taxis, but rather the excellent tram system to get around, which was good & cheap. The area is quiet, lots of parks and sporting facilities. The hotel is nice, the staff were lovely, rooms clean and spacious. We ate in once, the restaurant was good, but not very much veggie stuff on the menu (a problem widespread accross continental Europe). There is a small fitness centre and sauna, which was good.

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank edpurs999
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2004

Leipzig is a smallish city - that becomes very apparent when there are one or more major conferences in town. Booking a hotel becaomes a sheer nightmare. I came to Leipzig for a conference and even 2-3 months before the meeting, I found all the central hotels fully booked. The only one left available from the list of conference approved hotels was the Lindner. It wasn't cheap - about 120 Euros per night for a 'suite'. I figured at that price, it can't be bad - plus the pictures available on the Internet showed it to look quite nice. So I gave it a try ...

I have travelled extensively worldwide and written more than a few hotel reviews. I'm usually quite generous with those reviews - and I consider myself quite generous still giving the Lindner 2 stars ! To cut a LOOONG story short, I was quite disappointed with almost every aspect of my stay given the price I had to pay.

Before we list the bad points, let's see what was OK:
- the rooms were reasonably clean and spacious
- the hotel felt new and well-maintained in general
- the breakfast (included) was OK
- ... and that's about it

The bad points ?
- it is situated well away from city centre: a taxi ride costs 10-15 Euros each way
- the "free shuttle bus" simply does NOT EXIST: when I asked, I was simply told 'no' ... no explainations, no apologies
- on my first day, it was raining. the cool reception staff gave only vague directions to the nearest bus stop and didn't even offer to lend me an umbrella
- I booked a SUITE for 120 Euros per night and was given only a 'first class' room (hardly larger than a standard room) ... again no explaination, no apology, no refund - the staff even implied I should be thankful just to get a room at all !
- the website said the hotel was air-conditioned ... it it was, nobody bothered to turn it on ! my room was hot and stuffy, and simply too warm to sleep in at night (this was in September)
- the bed was woefully soft: I ended up with a stiff back after just 2 nights
- there is no bath even in the 'first class' room ... only a tight shower
- there was WLAN internet service (NOT free) but reception in most areas in the room was terrible: only 'low' signal at best in bed, NO signal at all at the desk !
- the front desk staff were some of the coolest, unfriendliest people I have met in all of Europe (and I have lived in Europe for over 7 years) ... maybe this is a relic of old East German hospitality ??
- someone to carry your bags or show you to your room? forget it - no help at all

I know what you are thinking: if this hotel was so bad, why didn't I just leave ? Unfortunately, I made the amateur mistake of pre-paying on the Internet (based on the seemingly excellent portrayel of this hotel on the Internet). And besides, as I said, no other hotel was available in town. Maybe there will be some people who enjoyed their stays at this hotel - and congrats to them. But my experience was awful, and I stand by my gripes above.

You'll realize that of course, I would never stay here again, let alone recommend this place to a friend. In fact, given the troubles I had with accommodation, I would seriously think twice about ever attending a conference in Leipzig again.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member