“Perfect place”

Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski
Ranked #7 of 118 Hotels in Dresden
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This is one of the nicest hotels we ever have stayed in. Friendly and professional staff, plenty of space in excellent public areas, and a large room with beautiful, classic decor (it was "only" a superior room)
And this you will find in the heart of Europe's most fantastic city, 200 meters from the opera house. The in-house restaurant Intermezzo is also very nice, probably the best in Dresden. The excellent breakfast is also served here.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SDtraveller55
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski

Reviewed 11 May 2012

We had a wonderful experience at the Taschenberg. Aside from its perfect location right in the heart of the historic center, the hotel itself was a joy to stay in. We stayed in the least expensive room, but it was very comfortable and spacious. The bathroom had double sinks and a tub and standup shower. The decor in the hotel and rooms is of very high quality. It is a large hotel with many hallways so it is easy to get lost. But that is what you expect when you stay in a palace. The breakfast buffet was wonderful. We were lucky that we had warm weather in April, so we were able to sit outdoors in the courtyard. The service was excellent and the concierge was very helpful. It was wonderful to just step out of the hotel and walk 2 minutes to the Semper opera, the Zwinger art gallery, the river, the Philharmonic hall, the palace & green vault (across the street) the churches and the shops. The only complaint I have is that the woman who took us to our room was not particularly knowledgeable or helpful about the particulars of the room.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BJE_NL
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I stayed at the Kempinski for 3 night (4th may to 7th may) and had a wonderful experience. The Concierge was always very attentive, front desk answered all of my requests very efficiently. I arrived and needed a dress to be pressed, they picked it up and returned it less than an hour after. One of my husband´s dress shirts got stained and we had it washed and returned on the same day. The room is very quiet, the ar conditioning was working properly (though some people on our group had trouble with their AC), the bathroom is beatiful and the floor is heated. The person that cleaned our room for turndown even folded some of my husband´s clothes. There is plenty of closet space and they all light up when the door is opened. There weren´t many hangers, but we called front desk and they brought us 10 more hangers. We had a pillow menu and were able to choose as many as we wanted. When we got to the room there was a welcome letter, some fruits and sweets.
My only complaints, that would not keep me from recomending the hotel, as they are very small compared to the overall experience, was that I cound´t get a converter for my hairdryer (it was 110v and the outlet is 220v), the room service food after 11:30 pm is very poor, there are only 4 options and they are all cold dishes, but the room service menu says that those dishes are ALSO available after 11:30pm, when in reality those are the ONLY dishes available. We had dinner at their Karl May Bar and when we complained of the food they treated us very well and tried to make it up with a pretty serving of chips, pickles and tuna sandwich with ham and cheese. Breakfast is fantastic and well served! Overall a great trip!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LuaA1982
Reviewed 9 May 2012

A large hotel with good rooms (ours had a WC separate from the bathroom), and well equipped except there was nothing to put in the bath (only shower gel provided). And the beds were the usual uncomfortable firm type offered in so many hotels. We were lucky enough to be able to take breakfast outside in the huge courtyard at the back of the hotel as it was sunny. The food on offer was full of variety and well presented. Hot food was carefully monitored by staff in order to ensure it kept hot for guests, and the waiting staff were attentive and efficient. It's a large hotel, very conveniently located, with helpful Reception staff. Nothing spectacularly memorable about this hotel however, apart from the sentry box at the front occupied sometimes by a porter.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank NancyArmstrong
Reviewed 8 May 2012

As part of my 10-day car trip in Germany I spent one night at this hotel checking in on May 4th, 2012. My invoice number was 490516. The room was good, have no complaints about it but the rest of the experience was terrible, to say the least. The lady who led us to the room got lost in the hotel, she explained that by saying that she was new on the job. She did not explain anything about the room. When I asked her when the Dresden gallery opens The only reason we came to Dresden), she told us that it opens at 8 am. When she left, the porter who overheard the conversation, said that the gallery opens at 10 am, and he was correct. Later in the day we decided to have dinner at the hotel restaurant. Intermezzo. The waitresses and the captain were very nice but that was the only good thing about this restaurant and at the end the captain got very embarrassed and had to take two dishes off our bill. Still the bill came to over 70 euros for two. That's with two glassses of wine and a cocktail. My soup was oversalted and they replaced it with a simple salad, and the steak came well-done while I ordered medium-rare. My friend ordered duck and got chicken instead. When we asked the captain whether that was duck on the plate, he said they did not have duck and he was shocked the waitress offered us duck. Her English was pretty good though. However, the person who wrote the English menu confused the pea soup with pear soup. I had to ask several questions before I got it right. Next morning we had a breakfast at this restaurant. The same captain wanted to make me happy and asked if I want to make a special order and I ordered fried eggs. I never got them while the captain said that it would take 10 minutes. The green tea that my friend ordered arrived by the time we finished the breakfast. I saw other guests helplessly waiting for their drinks, asking again and finally getting two cups of coffee or tea but 20 minutes later. Planning to spend some time at the art gallery and another museum, before going to bed I decided to ask if I get a late check out, at 1-2 pm. First, I was told that they could not do that because they were fully booked, but then they offered me to stay for extra 15 euros per hour. This was the first time in my life I have been asked to pay extra money for late check out. I refused. Now the most terrible part. At around four o'clock in the morning I woke up from the sound of an opening door. I jumped out of the bed in fear and ready to punch an intruder. Without touching a man who entered the room, I firmly asked him to leave. He was an old German man, apparently a lunatic. He opened the door with his own key confusing my room with his own. I pushed him out and called the reception to tell them about the accident. They almost laughed at me. Ten minutes later a hotel staff knocked on my door although I had a Do not disturb sign. I opened the door and saw the hotel porter and an old lady. Without apologising, the porter asked me if I still had that old lunatic in my room as his wife was worried about her husband whereabouts. I could not sleep for another hour or so and had a headache for a few hours next day. Next morning I asked to see the general manager of the hotel. This guy came smiling and looking super happy. When I asked him if he was aware of what has happened that night, he said yes but without any apologies and sympathy demanded that I tell him "my side of the story." Instead of apologising and offering some solution, he started arguing with me over how the old man could get into the room. What did I get from Kempinski for this terrible experience ? They waived a parking fee of 20 euros or so. The manager of this hotel pretty much ruined the whole day for me and seriosuly damaged the Kempinski image in my eyes. Keep in mind, I stayed two previous nights at Kempinski Munich and was generally satisfied with a 1,700 euro experience there. So you should think twice before choosing to stay at this totally mismanaged Dresden hotel.There are several good hotels around that area.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Michael G
Team_Taschenberg, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Dear Mr. G,

we received you feedback from your stay at the Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski Dresden. We do not agree with your rating and we will review each point of your statement internally. Afterwards we will contact you.

Kind regards,