“Would stay here again!”
Review of Hotel Constantin

Hotel Constantin
Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Trier
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Found this hotel on trip advisor and booking.com. Read very accurate reviews and decided to book this hotel for 2 nights. If you buy a parking token from Reception, parking is 2 euros every time you leave the parking lot, which wasn't a problem for us at all. Old town Trier is walking distance, so you don't really need your car in order to explore. Since we don't mind walking, we didn't mind the location of the hotel. There are two gas stations that are close for drinks, snacks. The room was very spacious for a European hotel. Actually one of the biggest I've stayed in. Actually had a loveseat and a coffee table, which was very nice. The heat in our room wasn't working properly, told the reception and she immediately gave us a space heater and said she would look at it the next day, so the service was great. I did not eat at the hotels restaurant so am not sure about the food. I would stay here again if ever returned to Trier!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

I was booked this hotel by a friend for a stay in Trier. What a mistake!

I requested a double bed so I could stretch out in bed instead of a small single bed. So imagine my disappointment when my 'double' bed was in fact two single beds pushed together! It was impossible to stretch out at all with this for my 3 stay in this hotel. I complained to reception when they came and shrugged their shoulders "Zis is normal!" was the response. Actually, this is not normal. I have stayed at many hotels in many counties - many more primitive than Germany too - where a double bed actually means a double bed. A twin room is a room with two single beds and intended for two people to have separate beds whilst in the same room. I know many hotels cope with this by having a special cover which goes over two single beds to make a comfortable double bed. No, not at the Hotel Constantin. They are more than happy to charge me for a double rate and give me two single beds. Of course, I can only be on one bed at a time as there is a crack between the two beds means it is very uncomfortable. I was astonished that they rent these beds out in all honesty.

Then there is the pillows...wow. These were so uncomfortable that I needed both pillows (the other from the other single bed of course) - of course they were the worst ones I have ever come across in a hotel ever. Why not actually but some good quality pillows for your guests? Do you wish them to have an unpleasant stay?

The mattress was so poor that I had a bad back for the first few days - as did a friend who was in another room - seriously are you trying to ruin my trip?

The shampoo / shower gel was of measly amount and not enough for anyone to use at all. Talk about being mean.

There was no sign on the back of the door to request the maid to clean later on as you did not want to be disturbed. Well, guess what? I was disturbed by the maid. As a result, my room wasn't cleaned for a day. I only got it cleaned on the second day due to me insisting to the manager that I needed it being cleaned and 1pm was ridiculously late.

The room was clean, albeit cold, as the only heating was a low-power radiator in the bathroom. The television, although working, only had one international channel - CNN. Hardly appealing to a tourist is it? No safe, no mini-bar.

I was just so bemused on how things which you simply expect in a basic hotel just weren't even considered. Whoever is the manager / owner of this hotel really needs to do some research by travelling and checking out other hotels as this was quite simply an embarrassment. It's not hard, it's just basic common sense - the first thing, sort out your double beds. You can't charge for two singles instead.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ed S
Reviewed 12 November 2011

This hotel is very nice for a stopover for few days. We had an itinerary up to Cochem so we have to familiarize the region first. Their is a car park with a reasonable fee. The room is very clean though the receptionist was not very enthusiastic., yet was able to assist our needs. Maps were provided and made some suggestions for the city tour.

Decided to go around the City and found out the remnants of the olden times. There were a lot of remarkable architecture to date back during the Roman times. To see all these would need one to go around with a map at hand. The distance to the hotel was just right for a leisurely stroll.

The restaurant was cozy and nice and breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MijnlieverdFH
Reviewed 15 May 2011

It was a very long walk from the train station but not a bad bus ride once we found out about the transportation. Hotel was pretty basic, an ok value for the money but the staff was not very friendly or helpful. We did have a nice view over the Mosel River but it was also noisy and the terrace we overlooked was under construction.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MontanaSadie
Reviewed 20 December 2010

Walk-able distance to city centre with perfect view of Mosel River just in front of the hotel. Ample car park at just 2 EUR is an added advantage, giving it a best place to stay for drive in and city tour. Breakfast was ordinary, could have been much better. Would suggest the hotel management to have an English speaking person for better communication and guidance for Non-German speaking tourists. However overall it was a good experience.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple