“Excellent food”

Hoa Mai
Ranked #21 of 572 Restaurants in Mainz
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 27 March 2018

I really like asian food so with rather good portfolio of restaurants visited I must say that I don't give good ratings easily but this time I had no doubts. In my two visits here I've tried duck with peanut sauce, duck with curry sauce, dumplings and jasmine tea. Both main dishes where of excellent quality, meat was very crispy and not mixed with the sauce in order not to create a mush and lose the crispiness. Vegetables where very nicely prepared, not overcooked like in most asian restaurants but rather just slightly boiled in order to preserve their taste and structure. In general both dishes where well seasoned and very tasty. Dumpling where a bit of a miss, slightly overcooked (sticky) and filling was missing some seasoning to bring the crab meat up but they can pass the exam.

In general very good value for the money if your focus is on the food. Ambient and restaurant itself are under-average and are underestimating the food quality here.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

I have tried three times in the past month to eat here! First was a Sunday at noon and they were closed( it was a Sunday so I get it) . I went the next day on Monday around noon and they were closed. I just went by today, a Tuesday, and they were closed. Only this time the doors were open. We went in and where quickly shooed away like a stray dog. If you’re not open that’s fine but you can at least be courteous.

I wish I Could have tried their food because the pictures looked great.

But now I won’t bother with this place.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank Craig K
Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

I came here after reading the reviews here but am very disappointed. The Pho soup was bland and the beef balls were cut into thin slices and had no taste. To make up for lack of taste I asked for chilies and lemon. The waitress at first didn’t want to give me any chilies, then reluctantly gave me one small chili and a knife for me to cut it myself. The lime pieces were quite small and I asked for more but she refused to give me another piece. Not worth 12€50.

Date of visit: October 2017
1  Thank jessicajM8783HI
Reviewed 24 May 2017

Visited with friends. Food was very good and tasty. The service could have been better. They did not come to our table for some time. There was an issue with language but they did manage to speak reasonable English for both of us to understand each other.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank nkumar1402
Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

Wandered a bit further away from my hotel on a search for lighter fare...I love beer and schnitzel but my waistline asked for a break. This gem was worth the walk. Owners were friendly and spoke enough English to make us welcome. Cafe sua da was delicious and the meatball pho hit the spot. I will definitely return.

Date of visit: March 2017