“Please, don't”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 May 2018

I paid 14 euros for a very average burger and frozen pommes. It felt like a rip-off. The terrace (which is the supposed highlight of the place) was not open for some reason, since it was sunny that day.

The ambient of the room where I had lunch had nice decoration, but the acoustic was terrible because I could hear the whole conversation of the tables nearby really amplified, even though they were not speaking really loudly.

Since I didn't speak German, they treated me really poorly, with stuck-up attitude and making me willing to rush my lunch and leave the place as soon as possible. Not a single smile or a thank you to make me pay an astronomical price for a burger I could beat myself cooking at home.

Avoid it. There are so many better places to eat in Mainz. I only went because it was superclose to the hotel where I stayed for a night.

Reviewed 2 August 2016

This will be a strange and difficult review, because all in all we had a very nice dinner here, but the food itself was not what we expected.

First of all about the place (we had dinner in the garden): its just awesome. A very nice, elegant, old garden, far from the sounds of the city. Ideal for a romantic dinner.

Service was also excellent, too.

And here comes the strange part: for me the food was a bit disappointing, especially in contrast to our expectations. When you choose such an elegant restaurant in this price-range you expect at least something flawless. But my both my cauliflower cream soup and the saffron sauce on my fish had a clearly disturbing artificial taste. So from the point of view of the food and can only agree with a previous comment: the word "pretentious" may very well be justified.

And yet, we hade a very nice evening, so overall I would go for a "very good", but please serve a food that matches the awesome atmosphere...

Reviewed 26 July 2016

This is probably the best restaurant in Mainz.

The location is heavenly. In good weather guests can sit out on the terrace overlooking a beautiful garden, filled with trees--including one particularly huge one, which looks to be about 200 years old. There are large umbrellas covering the terrace, but guests should be aware that it can be very hot if they are not in the shade. During our most recent visit, we saw two sets of guests request to change tables in order to get out of the sun.

One advantage of this restaurant, at least for us, is that it is much quieter and more peaceful than the crowded outdoor patios elsewhere in town. Another advantage is that there is absolutely no smoking. If you dislike trying to savour your food while breathing cigarette smoke, this is a good location for you.

The service is attentive and almost impeccable. Compared to our experiences at other restaurants, we really felt that at Kupferberg Terrassen the servers were readily available when we needed them. At the same time, they never rushed us.

This place is also notable for offering a vegan menu, front and centre. We ordered the three-part meal, with starter, main dish, and dessert, for 38 Euro. We were also provided with bread at the beginning, along with a tomato dip (though I had my doubts as to whether the dip was vegan, I didn't ask). The starter is superb: thin strips of zucchini filled with quinoa. The main dish was not quite so impressive: chickpea fritters, with pieces of sweet potato. It was fine, but somewhat bland. The dessert was innovative: lavender-flavoured ice cream (not sure if it really was ice cream, since it was alleged to be vegan, but it was very rich) and a small piece of lemon cake. Delicious.

We enjoyed a couple of glasses each of Weissbergunder, a white wine that was new to me but had been recommended by colleagues. It was excellent.

All of this comes, of course, at a cost: Kupferberg Terrassen may be the best in Mainz, but it is also probably the most expensive. A hefty 19% service charge is also added to your bill.

If you are in Mainz, save this place for a special occasion. We're glad to have had the chance to dine there.

Reviewed 9 July 2016

Wanted to book a table and ask questions but the front door hostess was extremely rude, saying she had enough to do and was very busy and was not willing to answer any questions we had.
Not a good way to win customers....
I will not be back!

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Had a family dinner there and apparently it is an A+ address so booked a table for 5. We got a table for 4 where they just added another set so the table was pretty crowded and there was no space. When my sister arrived, she wasnt shown to our table, the receptionist pointed to our room and said "over there...". None of us was asked how we would like our meat. We had to ask twice for more drinks and had to refill the wine ourselves. The food was good but absolutely nothing special. It was a quiet Tuesday evening so I dont know if the staff was new or just not "in the mood" but if I have to pay 100 Euros p.p., I expect better than that. I will not come back...