See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 February 2017

The hotel is not at the city center, however it's easy to reach it by public transportation. There are two great restaurants near by. The rooms are comfortable, new and with enough space. The breakfast is great considering the European standards,
The staff speaks really good English, are very kind and efficient.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Iris_brazil
Reviewed 5 September 2016

We stayed here when we were travelling to Scandinavia. Essen was our first stop. The rooms were very large, especially the bathroom. We booked 2 rooms for our teenagers as well. Both bathrooms were huge, as they are suitable for people in a wheelchair. I did appreciate the fact that they have thought about these people too.
Breakfast was ok, more a 3-star quality. But it was nice. The rooms were clean too.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Haissi
Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

I spend 2 nights in Hotel Franz as I attended a conference in Essen.
The hotel is modern and clean, and he staff is friendly and helpful. It is located on the outskirts of the city centre and a little away from the road so the room are quiet. I slept very well.
I enjoyed the buffet breakfast, above all the fact you can make your own waffles. Lovely touch.
Overall I had a good stay. The hotel is nice for a business stay, there is no thrills to it but "it does what it says on the tin" and it is priced accordingly. A small gym would be nice though.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Julien G
Reviewed 6 March 2016

Hotel: The hotel is easy to find since it's big in comparison with other hotels. It looks like it was a retirement home or a hospital once if you see the layout and the setup of the rooms. Nothing bothersome to be honest!

Price: The price we payed was good for a hotel including breakfast! The strange thing was that we booked 2 rooms with double beds and my colleague got a single bed room. The reception said that the rate we paid was for single and if we where lucky you get a double bed. This is odd when you book double....

Room: The room was big enough and had a good bed. I had the room for disabled persons and the only part i didn't like was the shower with only a curtain which meanth everything else was wet after a shower. But for the rest no problem.

Services: Breakfast is good with enough options to choose from. Nothing fancy but not bad either! Wifi was ok, had some disconnects but nothing out of the ordinary for a hotel.

neighborhood: A hoge sort of park surrounds the hotel. For the rest close to a main road so ask for a room away from the street. A good thing they have blinds for the outside to shield of noise and light!

Parking: Enough parkings space available on premise.

Overall: Would stay here again without hesitation. I do prefer the hotels more to the center of town since there are enough alternatives and this is more convenient for me.

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Niels W
Reviewed 20 July 2015

The hotel is very modern, located not far from the main 52 and 40 autobahns- we used it to stopover on drives to and from Berlin, it was perfect for this providing large clean rooms, a great value breakfast and the staff were always helpful. There is also free parking onsite- a bonus for us. We were travelling with a two year old and booked a double rather than the recommended triple room on the booking sites and this worked out fine- we were offered a baby cot (not needed though) at check-in.

Room tip: most rooms have showers rather than baths- worth checking if the latter is an option
Date of stay: July 2015