See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

I spend 2 nights in Hotel Franz as I attended a conference in Essen.
The hotel is modern and clean, and he staff is friendly and helpful. It is located on the outskirts of the city centre and a little away from the road so the room are quiet. I slept very well.
I enjoyed the buffet breakfast, above all the fact you can make your own waffles. Lovely touch.
Overall I had a good stay. The hotel is nice for a business stay, there is no thrills to it but "it does what it says on the tin" and it is priced accordingly. A small gym would be nice though.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Julien G
Reviewed 6 March 2016

Hotel: The hotel is easy to find since it's big in comparison with other hotels. It looks like it was a retirement home or a hospital once if you see the layout and the setup of the rooms. Nothing bothersome to be honest!

Price: The price we payed was good for a hotel including breakfast! The strange thing was that we booked 2 rooms with double beds and my colleague got a single bed room. The reception said that the rate we paid was for single and if we where lucky you get a double bed. This is odd when you book double....

Room: The room was big enough and had a good bed. I had the room for disabled persons and the only part i didn't like was the shower with only a curtain which meanth everything else was wet after a shower. But for the rest no problem.

Services: Breakfast is good with enough options to choose from. Nothing fancy but not bad either! Wifi was ok, had some disconnects but nothing out of the ordinary for a hotel.

neighborhood: A hoge sort of park surrounds the hotel. For the rest close to a main road so ask for a room away from the street. A good thing they have blinds for the outside to shield of noise and light!

Parking: Enough parkings space available on premise.

Overall: Would stay here again without hesitation. I do prefer the hotels more to the center of town since there are enough alternatives and this is more convenient for me.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Niels W
Reviewed 20 July 2015

The hotel is very modern, located not far from the main 52 and 40 autobahns- we used it to stopover on drives to and from Berlin, it was perfect for this providing large clean rooms, a great value breakfast and the staff were always helpful. There is also free parking onsite- a bonus for us. We were travelling with a two year old and booked a double rather than the recommended triple room on the booking sites and this worked out fine- we were offered a baby cot (not needed though) at check-in.

Room Tip: most rooms have showers rather than baths- worth checking if the latter is an option
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2015

I stayed here with a colleague whilst visiting a customer in nearby Bochum. The hotel is very modern and extremely clean. At first the area around the hotel looks poor but it is actually quite nice. The rooms were excellent with comfortable beds, plenty of space and a great walk in shower. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice of items and really nice fresh rolls and croissants.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2015

I stay here for two nights. I was on a business trip. I loved the room. Very spacious. The hotel was clean. Many things new and functional. Breakfast was good for the price. The location was good, although constructions close by limited access. I was driving. Free parking was a plus. I would stay there again when I go back to Essen.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business