“Average”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Presov, Slovakia
“Average”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I spent only one night in this hotel. Getting there from the airport by taxi was approx. 20 euros.

Although the non-smoking room was booked in advance, they accommodated me in the room for smokers. I was said that because of fully booked hotel. I do not understand why they did not warn me while booking. The room including the bathroom was nice, big, modern, clean, the bed was comfortable...but all around I could smell the cigarette stink.

The buffet style breakfast with quite big choise was nice, although it is questionable if 20 euros are worth it. But I think it is a common price for breakfast in this kind of hotels in Germany.

The service desk lady (M.N.) who was checking me out looked very unfriendly and when I asked her for the corrected invoice for my company, because of mistake she did, her eyes could kill. Maybe she had only bad morning:-)

The hotel itself was quite nice, but due to mentioned shortcomings it became average for me.

I would like to mention also the italian restaurant La Tosca, maybe 10 min walking distance from the hotel. The staff there were wery friendly and food and wine were amazing. It is very recommended.

Room Tip: non-smoking room if possible.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank matadorka
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Awesome value for money here. It was clean, modern and staff was very helpful. Parking garage in the basement of the hotel so once you are checken in you can get around by public transport and taxis.
We stayed over the weekend so it was fairly quiet on the streets outside the hotel.
Will def stay again and will recommend to friends.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2011

The Indian summer in northern Europe in October 2011 was just too good to pass up. Therefore, no alternative but to visit Dusseldorf in Germany’s industrial heartland! As this was a last minute trip, hotels in the centre of Dusseldorf were exorbitantly expensive, so alternatives had to be considered.

The NH City Nord was an excellent choice, a business hotel that offers reasonable weekend rates. Travel into the centre of Dusseldorf is easy as the tram stop at Derendorf station is two minutes walk away. For those worse for wear from a night on the tiles in the Aldstadt, a taxi ride back costs 10Euro.

Quality of the room was reasonable. I opted for a double but in practice this was two single beds pushed together, which I hadn't anticipated for a business hotel. As I asked for a quiet room, I was allocated a room at the rear of the hotel. While this didn't face the main road and tram line, it did face the parking garages. It wasn’t a 'room with a view' but as I had an undisturbed night’s sleep, I wasn’t too concerned. I didn’t have breakfast as I thought it was ridiculously overpriced, approximately 18Euro.

The positives, a mini bar in the room to store milk (purchased from the Lidl supermarket opposite) for teas, etc. This is always a bonus as it saves on buying refreshments out. Free Internet access is available in the hotel as well which was a bonus.

As for checking out, as other Trip Advisors contributors have noted, the Hotel Receptionist can be rather cold during this process but being Germany, it was gloriously efficient; I was even offered a choice of settlement currency. I should stress that the majority of staff I met were pleasant and helpful. So when I’m next in Dusseldorf, I will probably return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Tim A
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 November 2011

For €59 I booked a room for two. Seeing the quality of the hotel and rooms I found this a really good deal. Although not located in the city center, it is very easy to get there by public transportation. The only thing lacking is a bit of atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 29 November 2011

There was quite a lot wrong with this hotel, but I'll start with the extremely dishonest tactics the hotel uses for making you pay for internet access.

There is a sign in reception saying that you can get a free code from reception if you want wifi internet access. A reasonable person would therefore think that internet access is complementary. Although there is no wifi reception in the bedrooms (and, actually, only very unreliable reception in the communal areas), when I plugged my laptop into the wired internet access in the bedroom, I was immediately connected to the internet. I did not get routed to a page asking me to enter my room number or anything like that, as would be normal when internet access is chargeable. There was absolutely nothing to say that I was going to be charged a little over €20 for internet access when I checked out. I even asked about internet access when I checked in, and the receptionist did not warn me about the charges,

I explained when I checked out that I was not happy with the charge, as every indication was that it would be free. The receptionist was totally unsympathetic and just insisted that I pay. Given that I had a plane to catch, I unfortunately did not have time to take this up with the manager, so I had little choice but to pay. I'm going through the disputes process with my credit card company, who have so far been very helpful, so I think I have a reasonable chance of getting the money back eventually, but I really shouldn't have had to go through this hassle. You have been warned.

They were also a little bit sneaky about charging for water. Most hotels put drinks in the minibar if you are expected to pay for them, but leave a bottle or two of mineral water out on the desk if it's complimentary. Well, they left a couple of small bottles of mineral water out here, but again I discovered only when I checked out that they weren't complimentary.

The stealth charges weren't the only problem with the hotel. I ordered a beer in the bar. The barman brought a different beer to the one I ordered. He refused to change it when I pointed this out.

I arrived at the hotel about 11 pm after my flight was delayed, and I hadn't eaten. The hotel staff seemed to take great pleasure in telling me that both food in the bar and room service cease at 11 pm promptly and there was no way they were going to make an exception. I find it rather strange that a hotel that claims to be 4-star has no way of getting anything to eat at 2 minutes past 11 pm.

I returned from being out for most of the day at about 3.30 pm, and found that my room had not yet been made up. I arrived at the room at the same time as the maid, who offered to make up the room then or, if that wasn't convenient, to come back later. It wasn't convenient, so I asked if she could come back after 5.30. She said she couldn't come back that late.

Now, in the interests of balance, this hotel wasn't all bad. The breakfast was good. The room was clean (although it lacked a safe) and everything worked.

Nonetheless, as a result of the appalling experience I had here, I will not be staying at either this hotel or any other hotel in the NH chain ever again.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business