“Perfect and relaxed”

Ranked #11 of 2,470 Restaurants in Cologne
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 18
Cuisines: European, Bar, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The stylish Café in the WDR Funkhaus on Wallrafplatz is located in Cologne city centre, just a few minutes away from the Central Station (Hauptbahnhof). Here, you can breakfast to your heart’s content. The comfortable tables outside the Café offer an attractive view of the Cathedral spires. The Funkhaus is a popular bistro and restaurant, serving warm cuisine right through to 11 p.m. In the evening, cocktails are available at the bar.
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

This restaurant/bar wasn't too far from our hotel so we thought we'd try it out for dinner one night and I'm really glad we did. There wasn't a huge array of options on the menu but both the starters and the mains that we went for were lovely. Really tasty.
The cocktails were amazing too so don't miss them.
The staff were really helpful and friendly and the location was great for people watching.
A really lovely eating experience.

Martina M, Manager at Funkhaus Cafe Bar Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Dear LynsFrostee,

thank you for your visit and for taking the time to write such a kind review.

Hoping to welcome you again.

Martina Mayer

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Nice establishment near Cologne cathedral. Cosy retro style atmosphere. Friendly staff. Surprisingly good coffee (which isn't a foregone conclusion in Germany), and good food!
Definitely worth a visit.

Martina M, Manager at Funkhaus Cafe Bar Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2017

Dear Angelo 1975,

thank you for visiting Funkhaus and for taking the time to write such a kind feedback.

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

Had a gorgeous dinner here. Funkhaus is one of the only places we have found which sells cocktails/ vodka in Cologne.
The selection was brilliant and the menu was written in English too which was a bonus.
The staff were brilliant too.

Dear Bethan W.,

thank you for your visit and for taking the time to write such a nice review.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Went there for dinner on the 14th of August. As it was a bit breezy, we hoped to sit inside where there were 3 tables right beside the opened windows. As they were all occupied, I asked 1 waitress if the 3 tables had ordered food. She told me yes so we went out & sat outside. After ordering our drinks, we noticed that 1 of the 3 tables had ordered for their bill. We then took the now vacant table & ordered our food. Within 10 minutes, the clients of the other 2 tables left too. Instead of lying, the waitress should just told us that the 3 tables had not YET ordered food. The mojito I ordered was so bad (I travel a lot & taste mojitos - being my favourite cocktail - in each city) that I thought it would be beneficial to the establishment if they were told so as to progress. I was wrong as the person-in-charge (apparently) behind the bar, a Frenchman, told me that I should tell them what taste I like so that they can make the mojito to my liking. I was appalled - I keep a list of good mojitos in every city I visited & none of them has ever asked what ingredients I like more in the drink. Since I am French, I tried to tell him the basic: the barman/woman should taste the lime to see whether it is too sour or sweet so he/she can adjust the sugar level. This arrogant Frenchman replied that they did not have time to do so. I know that everyone's taste bud is not the same but a GOOD barman/woman can make a decent one especially for 8,50€! The beef goulash, the Bratwurst, the white chocolate ice truffle with zabaglione infused with expresso & the glass of Montepulciano/Sangiovese rosso Piceno were very delicious. Will I recommend this restaurant? Yes but beware of the service, don't order the mojito!

Martina M, Manager at Funkhaus Cafe Bar Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Dear Elaine C,

thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed Review, though we could not convince you all the way.
I think our Barmann just meant to be friendly to you, to have asked you how you like your mojito to finish it the way you like it.
I totally agree, that in a exclusive Cocktailbar the barman should taste the lime before making the cocktail, but as our Barman already tried to explain, we really don´t have the time to try every lime before stirring or shaking a cocktail. I am sorry to say so, but it´s an honest answer.
So all I can do is to apologize for the inconvinience.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Pretty crowded when we arrived for lunch but service was prompt & when it was obvious we were sharing, extra plates were produced without asking. A fairly standard menu of good quality.

Martina M, Manager at Funkhaus Cafe Bar Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Dear marsham745,

thank you for your visit and for taking the time to write such a kind review.