1,498 results
All reviews chocolate museum the river old town city centre nice hotel minute walk christmas market business trip good size tea and coffee making facilities mini bar main road within walking distance busy road comfortable rooms the wi fi would stay again
Reviewed 19 August 2018

Very nice modern hotel. Rooms are comfortable, clean and quiet. 15 mins walk from the cathedral. Breakfast was really good. Staff friendly and helpful. Would stay again. Minus marks because the WiFi was a bit annoying - had to click on the 'agree to terms' to reconnect at regular intervals.

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank AlistairRiddell
Reviewed 29 July 2018

The Check-In at this Hotel was an absolute night mare to say the least.

First, the reception was slow, and unfriendly to start with, no smile no interest in finding out if I wanted a Room with a Double Bed or Single Bed, even when I already paid more to have a better Room with a Double Bed.

Second, they ask for imposed city tax, but one can have it waived if they have a Business and fill out a 2 Page Form, asking questions that is none of their Business.

After I finally checked in, I then ended up with a Room with 2 Single Beds.

I went back downstairs to ask for a Room with a Double Bed, the Reception accommodated my request and told me that the Room is just a floor above, but on the key card instruction paper printed out the wrong room number.

So when I used the Key Card for Room 605 it didn't work, but when I thought, well before I had 503, so maybe now it is Room 603 as she mentioned it would be just one floor above, it ended up working.

Only 3 minutes after I was in the Room, a couple used another Key Card to enter it, I told them there must be a mistake, which they accepted.

Called the Reception and told them, that they made a Mistake, the reception ended up calling me back after the initial complained, wanted to find out more and when I explained it to her, told me that I should of not done what I done. I told her in no certain terms, they made the Mistake and that it should not be my job to worry about which Room it was meant for but that it is their responsibility to make sure I got the correct key card.

The Premium Wi-Fi I paid for which is about 10 Euro per Day, is of no use, the Wi-Fi at the Property even when paid is super slow, very annoying, it takes ages to load a Video.

Granted the Hotel Staff made up for their Mistakes by giving me free Breakfast for 2 Days, a credit that I could use for Snacks or Dinner at the Venue and refunded the Payment of the Premium Wi-Fi.

Which is why I gave it a 3 instead of a 1 but I wouldn't recommend it to be honest.

The Room itself and facilities are great and close by to the City.

Date of stay: July 2018
1  Thank Dario C
Sebastian K, Manager at NH Koln Altstadt, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2018

Dear guest,

I am very sorry for the bad experience you had while staying at our hotel.

I deeply apologize for all the problems.

Your review will be discussed with all team members to prevent such mistakes in the future.

Kind regards

S. Kuehn

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

We have been in Europe for 2 weeks and stopped in Cologne for a few days before heading back to the states. We booked this hotel because of a deal they had on TripAdvisor. Since being in Europe for some time we were happy to have a great bathroom! The room is very American so that was nice. We were ready to be re-Americanized :)
The hotel is close to the Rheine and we walked into the town very easily. There is good shopping and great food.
Some things to consider...
1) the AC doesn’t work that great. Luckily it is very cool here is we have the window open.
2) the buffet breakfast is outrageously expensive. Head to the Rewe To Go grocery in the little square area for great pastries. Or one of the many bakeries.
3) in the States when you put a towel
On the floor it is dirty and the house keeper takes it...here she hung it right back up on the towel rack. YUCK!
4) everyone at the hotel is very nice and speaks good English.
5) the World Cup coverage is on point! Happy to sit back and watch some games.

Overall, glad we stayed here and would consider staying here again.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank D4582ZVamyp
Sebastian K, Manager at NH Koln Altstadt, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Dear D4582ZVamyp,

thank you for your comments here. We will pass your comments to the right place to improve our services. We hope of welcome you again in anot to distance future.

Matthias L.
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 30 May 2018

Overall I have to emphasise the positives as the hotel was super clean and the facilities we used were great. In addition to this the majority of the staff were very friendly and spoke very good English.

However we did have 1 problem and I think it is worthy of a full explanation/warning to future guests...

The main problem we had, and the reason I gave the hotel a 4 and not a 5, was that on check-in they took significantly more than the cost of the room as a 'hold'/guarantee against my room (to give our example we paid just over £195 for 2 nights and they took over £260 as a hold/guarantee at check-in). In the UK most hotels usually hold a nominal amount or 1p to guarantee they have your card details in the event you cause damage, use the mini-bar or 'do a runner'. Prior to our trip I collected the money for our rooms from all members of our party and only had enough on my debit card for the amount the rooms should have cost, plus a little extra. This in turn meant that when they placed the 'holds' against my card they couldn't take them for every room as there was not enough on the card. In addition, upon checking out this meant that my card provider could not remove the 'hold' amounts quickly enough in order for me to complete payment for the rooms, meaning some of my friends had to pay for their rooms again and I had to pay them back the money they had previously paid, before the trip, when we got home. This was a completely needless problem and something that the hotel/hotel group should really look at and reconsider as a policy.

Like I said at the start, I must emphasise the positives and it is a genuinely good hotel and I understand the staff have to follow procedure but the check-in guarantee policy is an issue.

Room tip: Try and get a room on the side facing towards the chocolate museum and the river to avoid the main road on the other side.
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Neil F
Sebastian K, Manager at NH Koln Altstadt, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Dear Neil, thank you for your comments here. We will take your information about the credit card prcess to our accounting to find a solution for the future. Also we will pass your comments to oour team and hope of welcome you again in a not to distance future.

i.V. Matthias L.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

I was searching for a hotel in the city centre and it was the only available. It was not cheap but it was very good. Service was excellent, and the whole experience was positive. Only complain was the price of the breakfast. Too expensive for what it offered.

Room tip: Go for the rooms with a view to the river.
Date of stay: February 2018
2  Thank SpyrosB72

Dear SpyrosB72, thank you for your comments. we will share it with our team and hope of welcome you again in a not to distance future.

i.V. Matthias L.