“Mixed feelings”

The New Yorker | HOTEL
Ranked #108 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 1 May 2016

We stayed at The New Yorker for two nights. The room was pretty small but it was clean and well looked after. The shower needs some work done and when we started it there was a very bad smell. Be aware that there is no aircon. Furthermore there is a noise issue. Our room was facing a side street and street noise was OK. But the guy snoring happily in the next room was hard to overhear.
We had a chat with several people of the hotel staff on different occasions and they were very nice. They seemed authentic, helpful and professional.
Now I need to explain my mixed feelings ... We experienced a few awkward situations. We noticed a menue for a few food items at the reception desk. When we ask for it we were warned by a staff member, that these are convenience products. Fair enough! The other day we overheard people asking for food and they were told, that there is no food as no chef was available.
When we checked out we apologized for being late (12.30pm) and one of a staff member said: lucky you, soon we would have charged you. That felt really strange. What I am trying to explain is that the staff could be really outstanding if the would not create those little awkward moments.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Johannes A, Inhaber at The New Yorker | HOTEL, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2016

Dear Guest,
thank you for your critical comment.
Due to the fact, that the hotel is located in an old building, we assume, that the unpleasant smell was caused by the slightly old pipes.
Specialists are already working on the problem and will surely find a solution.
If anything like this should happen again - please do not hesitate to contact our reception.
We apologize for any inconvenience and impolite statements made by our staff.
We do have a few convenience products of high quality like tarte flambée, but we also serve fresh homemade salads, soups, pasta and other dishes.
We would be happy to welcome you to our hotel again.
With kind regards,

Reviewed 22 March 2016

This hotel is not in the best part of Cologne but it makes up for that in every other aspect. It is the definition of bijou, with small but well-designed rooms and a lovely common area. The restaurant is primarily for breakfast but has a limited menu throughout the day and night which is great for a tired business traveller. Many low cost hotels don't provide food at all after breakfast.

It is walking distance to the Messe (20 minutes) and a longer walk (45 mins) through the lovely Rheinpark to the Cathedral, the museums and the shopping district. If you're not up for the walk it's about 10 minutes by taxi to the centre and about 5 to the Messe.

It's meticulously clean and all the members of staff are a delight.

We travel to Cologne regularly on a modest budget and this is the best place we have found for our needs, we are very fond of it.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
Johannes A, Inhaber at The New Yorker | HOTEL, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2016

Dear guest,
thank you for your positive feedback.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you soon again.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 March 2016 via mobile

I came here on business trip for 5 nights.

The hotel is nice.
I had a comfortable 38m2 room pretty well decorated (even if the bathroom looked a little aged especially the shower). It has a big dressing (but no iron for my shirts).

For breakfast you'll find all you need to well start your day (both sweet and salty)
For diner, let say that you don't have much choice but all seems to be good (soup / burger / pizza). As an alternative you can find a really good sea food restaurant close by.

About the employees, all are really friendly. They try to help you as much as they can.
I'll keep a good memory of Tanita (a newly employed receptionist) who's doing a really good job and who's charming. She helped me out finding a shoe shop address on Internet as I forgot mine at home.

I just regret few things:
- it's really close to an industrial building so the neighborhood is not pretty and in the morning you can eventually hear some noise, but don't worry, it wasn't bad enough to wake me up.
- you have stairs everywhere, to enter the hotel, to get access to the elevator, to your room, to the restaurant...

Anyway, if those are not an issue for you, you should have a good stay.

Stayed: March 2016

Dear Gargalhada S,

thank you for your detailed comment.
I will pass your compliments to my colleagues.
We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t like the atmosphere of the industrial surrounding, because this is part of our unique feature.
We hope to welcome you again to our hotel.
With kind regards,

Reviewed 31 October 2015 via mobile

I was in this hotel for business.
I'm a DJ, and always perform early in the morning. That's why I need late check out every time.
The late check out was arranged, but early in the morning the housekeeping was smashing with doors, making loud noises which were impossible to sleep thru!!

Every half hour it woke me up, and I couldn't had a good night sleep.
Also the lights in the bath room were NOT working.

Totally not satisfied. The only good thing was the location, because it was near to the club I needed to be.

Absolutely won't return here.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
Johannes A, Inhaber at The New Yorker | HOTEL, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2016

Dear Steve D.,
thank you for your rating. We are very sorry that you wasn´t satisfied with your overstay in our hotel.
Of course we will also show our housekeeping your rating to draw attention to noises at the morning.
However, we hope you will visit us again.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 October 2015

I stayed at the New Yorker on a business trip - it was recommended by a colleague who preferred it because of the friendly atmosphere and proximity to his office, so I can't comment on its location for Cologne central.
I liked the design of the hotel and found the room comfortable. Business people note that they do not provide an iron in the room (I'm sure one would have been sent up to me, but I prefer to have the thing available and not wait for delivery). There wasn't a tea/coffee tray either. And, another very small niggle for me - but might be worse for others - there was a ticking clock in the room.
The breakfast was good, coffee excellent, and the food selection was also comprehensive including hot options of scrambled eggs and bacon, as well as an extensive continental buffet of salmon, cheeses, and meats.
Just a couple of suggestions
- unless I'm going mad there wasn't a bath mat in the bathroom (surely Germans do use bathmats?) and therefore I had to double up a towel to stand on.
- and secondly, as usual you have to put your key in a slot in the wall to turn on the room lights. The key was a very narrow metal one, and the slot in the wall was therefore very small, and rather hard to see.
On my way out in the morning, I stupidly took the key out of the wall without opening the door, and the room lights all went off immediately, leaving me standing in complete darkness laden with luggage and unable to see where I should put the key back to obtain just a few more seconds of light. Surely there should be just a short delay - say 20 seconds? - as you take the key from the slot, to allow you to get to the door?

Only a small grouse, but instead of leaving the room happy and organised, I left feeling awkward and panicky.

But overall, I liked it, and the staff were lovely. Would go back again. Possibly with a torch.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank IgorStrav
Johannes A, Online Marketing at The New Yorker | HOTEL, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2015

Thanks for your critical comment.
We will take your suggestions into account to improve the service of our hotel.
The problem of the light-system in the rooms is well-known to us and we are about to improve these systems.
We do have bathmats, therefore we are very sorry that there wasn´t one in your bathroom.
We hope to welcome you back to The New Yorker | HOTEL and please, let us know when you are missing something next time.