“Shop for a good deal”

AZIMUT Hotel Cologne
Ranked #34 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is a good hotel, not as far out as you might think from maps - it's perfectly walk able to the Dom from here (maybe 10 minutes). Trains are conveniently close for travel, but they can be a little bit loud at night - bring some earplugs just in case your room is noisy (but I'm a bad sleeper and, really, they didn't bother me that much).

Room Tip: The train station is on the right, if that's a worry for you.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulB106
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for AZIMUT Hotel Cologne

Reviewed 6 April 2012

I thought this hotel was very disappointing - the staff had problems finding our reservation on the system, even after spelling our surname to them! When checking out we had to queue for a long time as the reception staff were very slow. The hotel is right next to a train station, so noise from the trains kept us awake at night. I also had a problem with my bathroom as the shower wouldn't work. But the room was spacious and was very clean. It was also only a short walk from the hotel to the cathedral so the location was good. Overall I thought it was disappointing and would not stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank starr187
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I've stayed here twice recently and found there are a number of positives and negatives about this hotel:

Positives:

Location-the hotel is right next to Hansaring train station so travel is very easy. It's on a direct line to the airport and one very short stop from the Dom. However, there can be issues with train noise (see below)

Breakfast-it's really good. I've stayed at many hotels where I've read that brreakfast is good to find it disappointing but this wasn't the case at the Azimut. There's plenty of choice of both hot and cold foods which didn't run out. It's buffet style as is often the case and you have to serve your self for drinks.

The Rooms-they are big with lots of free space to move around in. The bathrooms are also big, though as noted by other reviewers, the bathrooms have a frosted glass door which isn't that private.

The Negatives:

Train Noise-this depends on where your room is. On one visit we had a room overlooking the street at the front of the hotel and it was fine. On another trip, we had a room at the back of the hotel and it was very noisy with trains passing all day and all night.

Reception-we arrived late both times and on both occasions, there was a queue at check in. On both occasions, there were two people on reception but only one doing check in. The other was doing paperwork and didn't seem interested in the queue. On one occasion, there was no record of our booking and although we had e mail confirmation, it took some time to sort out. We asked for a quiet room away from the trains and were given a room directly next to the train tracks and were told this would be ok only to be given a room right next to the train tracks.

General:

Although this is a four star hotel, it doesn't feel like one. It's in a converted office building and the layout is compromised by this. Reception is small and doesn't really feel like a hotel. However, once you get beyond that, it's fine. Apart from reception, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Although in more of a business district, all the main attractions are easy to access.

If you can get a good deal, including breakfast, it's worth considering. However, don't expect luxury and be prepared for train noise.

I would stay here again if I got a good price including breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are quieter than at the back
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The hotel has a very good location. We (7 persons) arrived quite late and only rooms available were smoking rooms. Also our rooms were in the second floor next to railway, Those trains woke us up pretty early (6 AM) in the mornings. If you book a room, avoid 2nd floor. Also pillows were uncofortable.

Breakfast in the other hand was excellent.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the railway side. (and 2nd floor)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I find myself in Koln a lot for business. Our company books us in 3 to 4 star hotels but what I've realized is that the standards for a 3 star in the US is very differant than in the EU ( and other parts of the world). Suffice it to say, I've wound up in some horrible and uncomfortable hotels when traveling for work. Now, whenever I'm headed to Koln I insist on staying at the Azimut! The staff is friendly, it's clean, reliable, the rooms are fairly good and it's in a good location (steps away from the subway, a bakery, the Dom, a few decent restaurants and bars). Thehoel offers a pretty good breakfast buffet if you don't feel like venturing out and I've met clients in the hotel bar for afrw drinks. The only bad thing i can say is that the bedding/ pillows etc. Arent great by American standards... I'm used to staying in places with lux linens and fluffy pillows; I haven't found that in Koln yet. Nonetheless when I find myself in this unique German city, the Azimut is the only place I stay!

• Stayed: March 2011