“Fine”

Ranked #188 of 783 Restaurants in Bonn
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2018

On my first day in Bonn, I only had a short lunch break between meetings, so I looked up the nearest restaurants to the conference center, and I found Ginyuu. The atmosphere is nice, the service okay (though a bit slow), but the food was very good: I had a pad thai with fried rice, noodles, tofu, eggs, red onions, bean sprouts, carrots, chives, peanuts, tamarind and lime juice. This dish costs 7.95 euros, but as I ordered beef on it, I paid 4 euros more. To drink, I had a delicious spicy mango lemonade and for dessert a Vietnamese coffee pie, both of which I have never had before and was pleased to get to know. The portion of the pie could have been a bit more generous, though. Overall, I paid almost 20 euros. A good experience.

Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

We've come here every once in a while since our opened. It used to use the Vapiano model; place your order at the 'cooking station' and then watch and wait as they prepare it. Now, they've switched to the more traditional model, you sit at a table (rather than an elevated bench) and you are waited on.

The staff are friendly enough, but the food has changed for the worse. Not that it can be classified as bad, rather, bland. The food used to be absolutely full of flavour; alas no more. Both my wife and I ordered different dishes; she, the Pad Thai and I, Chicken Fried Rice. Again, its not that they were bad - more 'muted'. Perhaps the restaurant changed hands and the new owner thought the flavours were too intense, because it certainly seems that they've been dialled back a bit. And not just the flavours; the spiciness of some of our previous favourites has also been reduced, maybe to tailor the menu to a more 'German' taste. Typically the German customer is not used to the kind of 'heat' that we are in the UK, courtesy of our love affair with our adopted national dish, curry.

Another example is the chocolate mouse with wasabi nuts on top. This used to be or favourite dessert here. The contrast between the fiery nuts and the soothing, mellifluous mousse and caramel was wonderful. The wasabi on the bus has reduced in intensity from an 8/10 to a 3/10.

What I'm trying to say is that it's a matter of perspective; if you are more accustomed to a less spicy palette, then I'm sure you'll love this place. If you prefer a little more heat, you can ask, or add some of the dried chilli found on each table.

Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

Nice food, nice people. Traditional asian cuisine mixed with modern style. Great atmosphere for meeting with friend

Reviewed 9 November 2017

Nice surroundings, recently changed from order and watch them cook, to table service. Been there twice over the last month and each time they messed up the order. Once the starter (samosas) came after the main course, and last week it never came. Waiter asked if they could still bring it after the main course was delivered and we said no. We thought we wouldn't be charged for it, to my surprise, we ended up paying for it - didn't get an itemized receipt, so only figured this out after getting home.
There is a happy hour every evening, the expensive cocktails are two for one - for the exact one only! Some foods like chicken are precooked and simply mixed into pasta dishes. So sometimes feels and tastes like fast food.
Overall it's ok, but it's no Vapiano, which is around the corner. There you can still watch them make a pasta dish.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

OH MY GOD! GinYuu has been my favorite restaraunt since it opened! I have to admit they have gone through so many positive changes and it is now better than ever! Ive lived in Bonn for 5 years and my office and i go there every week and the variety of food is more than enough! LOOOVVEEE