See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 April 2018

Let me first start by saying that, although I booked two rooms at this hotel some months in advance for our son and daughter-in-law and ourselves, at the very last minute my husband was diagnosed with pneumonia and we had to cancel both rooms.
This was meant to have been a mini-vacation, hiking in the nearby Eiffel, to which all four of us had looked forward very much. Alas, fate decided otherwise...
And why am I according 5 stars? Because of the very sweet and compassionate answer of Mrs. Lovis when I called this morning to cancel. Even though the acceptable cancellation date in which we would have been refunded had expired, she must have heard the distress in my voice and agreed to waive this "no refund" clause. I am ever so grateful to her! It goes without saying we would immediately book this hotel again if another chance for the four of us would come up. Our sincerest thanks, Mrs. Lovis!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

I was to this hotel for a week. The room is very big and really clean and quiet. Just the street where the hotel is does not look the best but if you are there to sleep only you would not consider that. I would return to the hotel

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2015

The room was clean and quiet. It had a small kitchenette with 2 stove top burners and a fridge. The utensils are basic (spatula, spoons etc...) so don't plan anything too fancy.

The room I first checked into smelled quite strongly of Indian food. The staff quickly moved me to another room.

The street out front is a bit dirty and there is a Sex shop a few doors down - so not the nicest of locations - but you are still in the midst of downtown Aachen nonetheless.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
Josef Z, Inhaber at City Appartements Regence, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2015

Dear Guest,

thank you very much that you have taken the time to evaluate our City Apartments Regence in Aachen on Booking.com.
Other travelers are based on votes and obtained by your evaluation a valuable impression. Many Thanks! It also helps us to improve our service to you always.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we could offer you through downtown location, a quick way into the City. Accordingly, it may be that the noise and surrounding do not always correspond to each guest.
Normally the apartments are handed over to our guests only in a clean state. Thank you for your reference. We will verify the matter.

We hope to welcome you again during your next stay in Aachen.

With best regards from Aachen,
Josef Zartenaer
City Apartments Regence

Reviewed 28 June 2015

Booked with booking.com, was pleased with the rate. As mentioned by others, apartment is essentially a hotel room with small kitchenette. Have no complaints about the facilities, everything we wanted for our weekend stay was there. Just some space to put breakfast and lunch together. Room was maybe a bit old, but absolutely spotless. Our room was on the top floor at the back (as requested) and all that could be heard with the window open was the birds. Located very close to the centre and with its own car park, which was easy to get in and out of.

In short, not the lap of luxury but a clean and comfortable place for a few nights.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2014

These units are operated as an annex to the Best Western Hotel Regence about a block and a half away. This arrangement has worked well for me before, but in this case I was disappointed. My single "apartment" was the size of a small hotel room; a complete kitchen of sorts was cleverly built into a large cabinet along one wall, but to accommodate it the bed was set right up against the windows, and the only other furnishing of note was a workable hotel room desk. The room's decoration showed some pleasant touches, but overall the impression was of undistinguished fixtures and cramped space.

Breakfast back in the Hotel Regence each morning was a bright spot, as the buffet was varied and the room large and bright.

The City Appartements Regence sits in a somewhat seedy block, and in the evening it was noisy at times (at least for my room which faced the street). Walking just a few blocks down Alexanderstrasse however you reach a pedestrian street that connects into the car-free old center of the city, so you do feel centrally located. It's a convenient walk through the center to the university, and not much longer to and from the train station.

Room Tip: There may be some larger, quieter rooms facing the back.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business