See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

I arrived to meet the rudest receptionists I've ever met - a dark-haired lady who really shouldn't work with people with an attitude like she has. I was practically thrown a room key, grunted at and left to find my own way to the elevator. Rooms are basic at best - thin carpets and decor from 1985, with dull drab furniture. The internet is free, but utterly useless - my speedtest showed 0.2-0.5Mbps download speed throughout my stay. Breakfast is basic and unimaginative, which fits the hotel quite well. Maybe ok for a retired tourists stop, but seasoned travellers will be unimpressed.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

Good hotel at 10m walk from Emden inner harbour and city centre. I had a very large suite (the only thing left) for 109 EUR. One disappointment: on check in I had been assured by staff that the sauna could be turned on after 23u00. But on return at 22u45 the night guard bluntly refused to help me ('They haven't told me. I don't know how it works'). I should have asked a partial refund on check out, but I was not in the mood for a fight. Well, I had a good and quiet night, no further complaints.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2014

Nice looking hotel situated about 10 minutes walk from the city centre. Located in a quiet street in a quiet town. But shops and assorted visitor attractions are close by. Good off-street parking facility is free of charge. The hotel is comprised of two buildings on opposite sides of the road. This means that you may have to cross the road if you want to visit the restaurant and spa or to talk to staff. That didn't bother me but might concern some people.

Our room was spacious and pleasant. There was free Wi-Fi which was of reasonable quality although its speed seemed to sag in the evening as more hotel guests came on line. The hotel restaurant was excellent in terms of quality, service, ambience and value for money. The local fish dishes are especially good but they do a very nice burger and chips if that is your preference. The staff at reception and in the dining room all spoke good English. Cable TV in rooms carried a number of English language channels (including BBC World).

The only real negative was that there were no kettle and coffee making in the room. Not a big deal but an unusual omission in a hotel of this standard.

Room Tip: None. The whole place is quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed one night during a bisiness trip. Rooms are big and clean with a mini bar. I missed a kettle and complementary tea/coffee but not an issue. I would recommend the restaurant: tasty food and kind service.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We booked our reservations in Emden quite late and so we were actually staying in the building across the street from this hotel. It wasn't too inconvenient, we just had to go outside for breakfast in the other building and anytime we needed to speak with an employee. It was a quiet side street and the weather was beautiful. We were there at a beautiful time of year when the gardens are really nice. The employees were mostly friendly, not all spoke English though. The hotel offered cheap bike rental, however the bikes were much different than our American bikes and they hurt quite badly! I think our family is used to mountain bikes and these were city bikes. The hotel was within walking distance to the city center which included shops, cafes, ice cream shops, and the museum. As for the rooms, we had one triple and one double room. The double room had a shared bathroom in an outside hallway, which was a new experience for us. We were lucky because nobody else was staying on that floor so it didn't have to be shared. As for the triple room, it was quite nice (actually a quad) and had lots of space, big windows, large closet space, and a big bathroom. It came with wine glasses but no fridge/microwave. The breakfast we decent, not the best we had in Europe, but a lot better than any American breakfast. We loved that they offered the local tea made in Emden "Thiele Tee." It's always a treat to try local favorites. The breakfast workers didn't speak English, so it was a challenge to get a pot of coffee, but luckily after the first day I brought my grandma with me who speaks plattedeutch. All in all (especially for the price) we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Book early to get a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family