2,082 results
All reviews nice hotel spa area modern style steam room central location rooms are spacious location is great breakfast buffet is nice breakfast coffee machine public transport meatery basement bathrobes messe alster duvet
Reviewed 10 May 2007

I stayed at the Side - a design/futuristic hotel - for a few days - Friday to Tuesday - the first few days were for a personal trip with the Monday and Tuesday for work.

I greatly enjoyed my bright and well appointed room and found the staff extremely friendly indeed. The Eco friendly heating system - though not immediately responsive ( takes 40 minutes to boot up) - is a great idea. The spa area was good though the pool a bit difficult for laps for more than two people due to the huge pillars in the middle.

The hotel has probably the best breakfast I have ever experienced at a hotel - it was truly exceptional in its variety, quality and display! - and it is fantastic that it continues to 2pm at the weekends - VERY civilized when you want to relax at the weekend!

The Side is really well located for shopping and walks - a real pleasure to have access to all of this so easily.

My only MASSIVE problem was the HUGE difficulty I had with the Internet access! Not only is access not free - (at this price of hotel and level of modernity, i believe, it should be!) I wasted hours of my trip trying to find a way of connecting to either LAN or wi-fi. From within a half an hour of checking in until i gave up three days later it was a constant and total headache. LAN access is only for those with a registered German telephone number - why o why??. At one point I thought the problem was with my computer yet I left the Side and Hamburg to travel to London and had no problem whatsoever hooking up to wi-fi or LAN at the next hotel the next night and at every hotel since.

The IT staff of the hotel spent two hours with me on the Saturday afternoon, he was great and tried everything yet nothing worked! I also spent 2 hours on the wi-fi providers hotline - all to no avail. Besides this - even if you do not have a computer with you - there is only one other computer available to guests ( the @box on the first floor) - I spent ages going up and down in the elevator one afternoon in the hope that one guest squatting the box (as he browsed ebay) would give me a break - I gave up! A comment made by a very friendly and efficient member of the front desk staff at check out led me to believe that mine was not an isolated Internet case.

A great pace to stay, in my opinion, if you get a good rate and you don't need to use the Internet! Yet the hotel website gives you the impression that its uber communications and business traveller driven!

I enjoyed my stay but believe that a hotel purporting to be design and modern should be just that! Modernity should not just be limited to the style of the fixtures and an illusion of trendy urban Zen. Zen.......... my trip wasn't!

I would certainly go back - and look forward to - but only if I received the GUARANTEE that i had independent Internet access i my room.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank aTRIPinTIME
Reviewed 25 March 2007

Side Design Hotel is considered one of the best and most unusal hotels in the city center of Hamburg. The rooms are very modern and come with great complimentary Ole Henrikson toiletries. The spa here is fabulous and there was nobody using the pool area at all when I used it. It is quiet and private and towels, slippers, shampoos, body lotion, razors and even toothbrushes are all free of extra charges. The Fusion Bar is open in the lobby is open until 2am every night.

The only disappointed is that there is no complimentary tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms. I found that the staff were very helpful here and they all speak fluent English. I would recommend anyone who enjoys style and has an interest in interior design to stay at SIDE. Even the toilets downstairs are like going into something from the set of Star Trek!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled solo
6  Thank SophieCalifornia
Reviewed 19 March 2007

Thought I would try this place as it is in a great location, and the normal 'business' choices e.g. Marriott, Radisson were charging extortionate prices.

Very impressive entrance and lobby, with pleasant and efficient check-in staff, who were not cold or snobbish as previously mentioned by some reviewers.

Was shown to my room which was very impressive (7th floor), I think it was just a standard room. A great size, with lots of buttons to press e.g. lighting, curtains. I thought the modern decor was great, however I realise it will not be to everyone's taste.

Didn't try the restaurant, which was very busy, but spent a while in the bar. It was interesting, quite trendy but not painfully so. They made some nice g&t 's ! Had a great night's sleep in a very comfy bed, and the breakfast was really good - there was nothing more you could want.

My only regret is not staying longer.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
12  Thank JCSide
Reviewed 5 March 2007

I just returned from a AMAZING stay at the very cool Side hotel and as a frequent traveller in hamburg this is absolute one of the best hotels in hamburg and the very best DESIGN hotel in this beautiful city-A TRUE 5***** EXPERIENCE!!!
SIDE is very good located in the heart of hamburg and you have the citycenter in walking distance.SIDE is a AMAZING design hotel located in a 12 floors building of beautiful nature stone & glas.The Atrium lobby is just AMAZING and the light installations of new-york designer Robot Wilson is a just WAU!!!
I stayed in a Deluxe room wich was outstanding with AMAZING design.The room was very big a also very clean.The kingking size bed was just a dream and the bathroom was a beautiful mixture of glass and dark wood and all the Ole Henriksen products was a very nice touch!!!
The hotel also have a very good restaurant (Fusion) and is also here you have the breakfast.If you don't have breakfast include you have to treat yourself with this AMAZING experience.
This breakfast is the very best I have ever tryed in any hotel!!!
Such a great quality ond choise of everything you can imagine-Just go for it and I sure you don't will be disapointed.
Another 5***** experience was the wellnees with a beautiful pool-jacuzzi-sauna and a big gym.
All the staff from reception to housekeepers was allways with a big smile,so if you want to treat yourself with a 5***** stay in the center of Hamburg and like AMAZING design you must pick this hotel!!!
I will for sure be back soon as possible for another 5***** experience!!!Thanxx Side

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
14  Thank ROMAAMOR
Reviewed 21 September 2006

Just come back from a 2 Night stay at the Side.

Very impressive on first impression - ultra modern reception and the staff were very polite and very helpful.

We arrived and checked in very late at night. When we got to our room we were at first very impressed, but on closer inspection the ultra modern rooms are starting to look a little `WORN` and `TIRED`.
We then found that although the bathroom was very modern and stylish that none of the taps worked! we complained and then had to be moved to another room, which looked even more `SHABBY`, there we found that the shower was faulty and all the light bulbs in the bathroom had blown!

Hamburg is an excellent place and this hotel even with the faults we experienced was still a nice `design` hotel, but does need some updating in places for it to be a 5 star hotel as we didnt feel the 5 star rating is at the moment is at all justified.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple