“I love Motel Hamburg; clean, great value & a touch eccentric”
Review of Hamburg Motel

Hamburg Motel
Ranked #182 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 10 March 2015

My friend lives close to the Motel, and he originally recommended it, when I planned to visit him.

This was my second visit; I'd booked a single room each time, but this visit actually had a double bed (Room 1). The Motel has been renovated/decorated fairly recently, and both rooms were clean, but it also retains some original 1950s fixtures and fittings, which adds to its charm. It has a slightly otherworldly feel. I was there four nights each time. Check-in and out is easy, staff are extremely friendly and helpful, I love the breakfasts. Quiet at night. Red squirrels scampering around on the trees in the courtyard, and on my balcony.

The bedrooms can be very warm (I visited in November 2013, then again late February 2015) - better than being chilly, but I did need to open the window at times. Room and bathroom were cleaned and serviced each day. I could have used the free parking garage below the room, but had no need to - and it's really easy to hop on a bus, and be in the centre. Hoheluftbrucke U-bahn station is 5 minutes walk, Dammtor station is 8 minutes by bus, and it's 15-20 minutes to get to the Rathaus by bus. There's also history locally, if you know where to look (my friend Elmar is a great local guide). It was great value for money - at the current exchange rate, it worked out at about £51 per night for B&B, very little compared to other hotels in the city. Free wi-fi - worked fine on my phone (a code was SMS'd to you) but I couldn't work out how to get it working on my iPad, but it didn't really bother me.

If I had a few minor quibbles, it's that the rooms can be pretty small, and each visit the shower stall has leaked (curtains don't fit) and the toilet roll holders really do need replacing. But that's about it. I'll be back.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I was impressed with the courtesy of the staff at the front desk; they are polite, friendly and informative and they treat you as a valued clients. The rooms are nicely decorated with oak wood furniture and the bathroom is clean with amenities. (I haven't been in a hotel with a piece of soap in a small box for a long time, and Hamburg Motel has it!) So you can see the details this motel is trying to offer to the travellers; a decent motel,its service can be compatiable with a star-graded hotel in the main tourist area. High recommended!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Perfect for the business traveller. Clean, comfortable, friendly staff, fair-sized rooms, and pretty central. Also very quiet. Good for families. Decent breakfast buffet (particularly the fresh fruit).

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2013

excellent service, good location, no noise, except loud conversation of room neighbours, banging of doors, small, but good room, clean, friendly and competent service, good bus connections, price okay, free parking,

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 31 October 2012

This was the fourth time I've stayed here, and I always enjoy the location (close to my client) and the friendliness already reported. I arrived from an overseas flight at 8:00 a.m. And they had a room available for me by 10:00 a.m. At no extra charge, what a treat! My only complaint is the poor wifi reception in the rooms, I had to go to the breakfast room or the common room to get reliable service, but it is free.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business