“My favorite restaurant in Berlin!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 8,236 Restaurants in Berlin
Price range: US$ 37 - US$ 206
Cuisines: International, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Charlottenburg
Description: The FACIL, Berlin's oasis of culinary culture, offers a refreshing combination of elegant lightness and pure luxury, modernity and understatement. The restaurant treats diners to the very best cuisine and it has an easygoing feel. The service is excellent and you have the chance to relax and escape from the stresses and strains of everyday life. The core of the FACIL philosophy is the lightness of being. In culinary terms, the food will melt on your tongue. The restaurant offers a selection of natural cuisine which is both unpretentious and ingenious.
“My favorite restaurant in Berlin!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

The restaurant offers perfect modern, friendly, comfortable atmosphere, friendly, subtile, and professional service, and perfect tasty food. I never had a single dish which wasn't prepared, presented , and served absolutely perfect. Pricy, but absolutely great price/value ratio. The restaurant is seated in an atrium with bamboo all the way around. This gives a lush and comfortable environment. Nevertheless the guests sit in the shade and enjoy fine dining. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Berlin
“Would I go again? Yes, I would, just because of the ambiance alone.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Daytime: Lunch, selected courses were from the lunch menu (you can also do a la carte)

Not many of Berlin's one or two star restaurants are open for lunch but Facil is. The first thing you notice is the bright and airy ambiance inside that big glass cube farmed by bamboo plants that sits on the roof on the 5th floor. You cannot have more nature elements while still in the middle of the city. The downside is perhaps the acoustics that suffer a bit. The sommelier was on the soft spoken side and even I strained to hear what he was saying. On the funny side while I thought I had heard him say "75 years old" when I relayed this to my mother, who wears hearing aids, she understood "75 Euros!"... Thankfully, that proved to not be the case (the 2006 red we chose was 9 Euros per (small) glass).

Proceedings started with not one but two amuse-gueule, which we definitely appreciated. An only decent selection of breads came with two homemade spreads (one with tuna, the other with ricotta).

We opted for three courses, which will set you back 39 Euros. BRETON SARDINE – SHALLOT TARTE AND LIME MARMELADE was an outstanding appetizer. The flavors and different textures complimenting with each other just as you should expect in a Michelin Star establishment.

The main course has since been taken off the menu and that is perhaps a good decision. It was roughly called "ox cheek with pomegranate quinoa and heirloom carrot". While there was nothing wrong with the grains and vegetable combination, I felt that the meat was just not well integrated into the final ensemble. All portions are very small, by the way but that is to be expected.

Both of our desserts, one of which was "GRAN COUVA CHOCOLATE, FIG AND BANYULS ICE-CREAM" and the other, also something with chocolate that is no longer available, were excellent.

After dessert is where Facil gained some extra points: Out came another final 'greeting from the kitchen': A raspberry mouse accompanied by homemade chocolate almonds. Both were an unexpected surprise and delight and I am not ashamed to say that we finished all the almonds.

The service was attentive but never appearing too pushy or condescending. Compared to the two star "Fischers Fritze", which I had visited in December, I have to say the following: Facil wins on ambiance (by a landslide), appetizer, desert and what I will call extras, while the main courses seemed to be definitely in a higher class at "Fischers Fritze". Of course, this only applies to a direct comparison of the limited amount of courses we had tried in these two places and you may get a different result based on your order.

Summary: Facil is definitely worth a visit.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank spinalcrackerbox
West Hollywood, California
“ok food but not great. service not top notch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

which it has to be, giving its 1 Michelin star. Experienced diners will find the food a little dated in the presentation and boring in taste. Maybe the chef has been ruling the kitchen for to long and nobody has the guts to give feedback, when a dish could use some adjustment. Me included.

Before the starter you are served two appetizers and the meal ends with a small portion of sorbet and sweets. The Sommelier knows his German wines well and as this is a restaurant in 1A location, expect them to be calculated times 5. Make sure to go for desserts. The one I had did not suffer from the above description of boring food :-)

I went for lunch and maybe the staff were not all checked in yet. I was in the middle of ordering wine, when the Sommelier left the table! Later i was told, he had to leave to receive a wine delivery. 9 minutes later he was back to finish my order. No other seemed to be able to carry out his job and I wasn't asked, if I could do with the help of a "normal" waiter. Finishing my main course I ordered another glass of wine from a waitress. Unfortunately the wine did not appear until later, when I was halfway through the dessert...

The price range of this establishment is to upscale to allow such incidents to happen (3 course lunch with corresponding wine euro 72).

In the end a friendly staff member gave me a box consisting 4 pralines to make up for the lack of presence of the Sommelier, who him self didn't apologize for interrupting service.

The Facil is located on the 5th floor. The Qui Lounge, located in the same building, is run by a very attentive young fellow, who makes the overall experience of the hotel a five star experience. As a local, I have visited the Qui Lounge several times during the years and always found it to be welcoming, fun and a great value.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Exploration-2day
Brussels
“Facil An excellent one star in Berlin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Went to facil up on arrival in their hotel (Mandala).We were lucky to still get in at 10 PM. We are experienced foodies so very very critical ! Food was great, but not fantastic. The wow feeling was missing. I would say that the menu is worth his price and that the hors d'oeuvres and appetizers and the desert were the best. The middle part (chef's work) was not exquisite but really good. We are probably to used to going to restaurants around the world...sorry for that! I would go back anytime.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank CulinaryExplorer999
Singapore, Singapore
“Very unique and delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We ate at Facil earlier this week, and of the similarly rated restaurants where we ate on our trip (Vau, Fischers Fritz, Uma), Facil was the only one filled to capacity. We were graciously greeted as we entered the 5th floor, and the hotel was a bit modern for my tastes, but very nice.

We opted for the tasting menu, and our sommelier recommended great German wines to accompany. One of the other wait staff accidentally poured a taste out of our bottle to another couple, and he graciously removed 20 Euros from the cost of the wine bottle. He handled the situation with grace.

The meal was inventive and enjoyable. The only drawback was the length of the meal. We noticed this often in Berlin, meals tended to drag on forever. Our meal at Facil was 3.5 hours... Highly recommend (but be aware of the time.)

• Visited February 2012