5,918 results
All reviews tapas bar melia hotel level room friedrichstrasse station museum island great location brandenburg gate river view spree river per day within walking distance pillow menu unter den linden free wifi excellent hotel mini bar major sites
Reviewed 30 August 2016

For our short stay in Berlin I chose the Meliá hotel based on its location. We we're flying back home again at 6AM, so I wanted to make sure we'd be able to catch an early train as easy as possible. The Meliá is right across from the big Friedrichstrasse train/underground hub so that was perfect. I booked quite a few months in advance and got a fairly good deal on the room considering this is a 4 star hotel, in a capital city and during a weekend.
We arrived around noon and the lobby was pretty empty. We weren't able to check in but were able to leave our bags and headed out into the city. The hotel is close by to most attractions in the Mitte, so we spent the day exploring the sights on foot. When we got back to the hotel at around 4:30 PM things were a little busier but we still could check in fast. We were able to choose between a street-facing room or one in the back, and I picked the latter as I'm sensitive to noise - although it was way to hot to open a window anyway.
We were also asked whether we wanted breakfast, and apparently if you become a member the second person gets breakfast for free. We didn't go for it, and didn't find out the price either.
One thing that proved to be an annoyance during our trip: only one device per room is allowed free wifi. Not practical at all with 2 people needing to access data via their phones. You'll have to log in again after 24h.
We went up to our room to freshen up. The big bathroom had a shower/bath combo, toilet and bidet. The room itself was big, colourful and modern, and blissfully cool thanks to the air conditioning. But while hanging out there for a while we heard a strange loud rumbling noise coming from the ceiling, every 10 minutes or so. We couldn't find the source of the noise, switching off the air conditioning didn't help.
So we went back down to the lobby to report this, and a senior employee just gave us a new room. That worked for us too, we moved our things and didn't have any noise in the new room. We were moved from 415 to the 7th floor, the rooms were pretty much exactly the same except that the one on the 7th floor had an extra pillow and branded toiletries. The hairdryer didn't work, it was plugged in inside the bathroom console so couldn't check any further, but I didn't report this as i'd brought my own hairdryer "just in case" anyway.
In the evening the hotel became quite busy with people visiting the bar and the "lounge" area near the reception. We didn't try out the restaurant but I would like to try their tapas if I'd visit again. You can't order them via room service btw. And I do regret not using the photobooth next to the entrance, it looked like fun.

We had a great night's sleep, the matress was very good and very big: so big actually that the duvet seemed a bit small in comparison (read: we kept stealing it from each other in our sleep). There was a "pillow menu" but didn't try it out. The curtains kept all light out so we could sleep in.
Shower got very hot very fast, so be careful and start out cold.

On our second day we'd come back to our room around 3PM to escape from the summer heat for a bit. While we were inside the cleaning crew barged in, and they offered to come back in 15 mins which was fine for us. Everything was very clean btw, except for some stray hairs that got stuck to the fabric of the headboard. We didn't opt to have our sheets/towels changed, only staying for 2 nights.
The flatscreen TV had lots of channels including Asian channels (we're fond of Arirang tv so that was fun)

We had to check out very early, at 4 AM, but there was someone at the reception so that wasn't a problem. Everything went fast and smooth, and we were on the S-Bahn platform within minutes.

I'd like to stay here again next time I'm in Berlin.

Reviewed 30 August 2016

As it was my husbands birthday during the trip, the hotel upgraded us to a king-sized bedroom with a view of the river and also threw in a bottle of house bubbly on our first night! The room was spacious and clean, and although I usually prefer a quiet room, the general traffic noise dies down at around 10pm onwards so with the windows closed, noise wasn't an issue. Staff at the front desk were always friendly and helpful. The gym is compact but functional. The central location was definitely a highlight as it meant we could go back before dinner to freshen up and always had the option of getting the S- or U-Bahn or tram. There are also a ton of restaurants, smaller eateries and supermarkets very close to the hotel.

Reviewed 26 August 2016

Super hotel with perfect location in Berlin at Friedrichstrasse.
Very clean. Large rooms, some with nespresso coffee machine. Large bathroom.
Excellent breakfast buffet. Cosy tapasbar.
Friendly end efficiently staff.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Meliá Hotels International
1  Thank 745sannem
Reviewed 26 August 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights in August 2016. Hotel is very nice but the staff didn't seem to be very friendly, we experienced a few problems and the staff didn't seem to care or were not interested. Strangely we wondered if it was an issue with the English because a woman in the bar area ( another guest) walked up to us and told us that the English were no longer welcome in Europe. We were a little shocked by the whole experience. A friend that was travelling with us had his bike damaged in the garage which was a very expensive bike and the paintwork was damaged by a leaking pipe - the hotel did not assist him with the problem or offer a solution. The damage has been photographed and he is going to have to make a legal challenge to see any action.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2016

We stayed for 2 nights at the Melia. The location was excellent and close to all the city sights. The room was really big and decorated lovely and had the finishing touches that you would expect.
The staff were very helpful and always smiling. I would certainly go back there if I was staying in Berlin again.

Room Tip: Take a kettle if you want a cuppa.... this was the only thing we found that the hotel could improve on as there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room.
Review collected in partnership with Meliá Hotels International