“4* Hotel with no free Internet.... in 2012... not even in the Lobby... "this Hotel is dead to me!"”
Review of Melia Berlin

Melia Berlin
Ranked #26 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Melia is a great hotel, especially if you like Spain, or Spanish influence. The bar is expensive and the tapas are not any good. But the rest of the hotel is great, good location, calm, good staff, ok room.... but for me the worst is internet.... I mean really, come on!! 2012 and the internet cost a fortune per minutes, or hour or day. And they do not even have free machine in the Lobby!!!!! So for me this hotel goes from 5 to 3. Give me free internet and then it is in the top of my list in Berlin. Not only they obviously try to steal money for you with the internet prices, but the all thing just give a bad image to the hotel. "Come to hotel Melia, we are nice and professional but we are trying to get as much money from you as we can". From 4* and all around the world internet must be free, and of story! People need to Skype their girlfriend, read the news from their home country, send a business email, explore a card before going around in the city, download a map, upload Facebook pictures to share the good trip with the community, etc, etc, etc, in few word 2012! So Melia I will come back to Berlin but never to you because of your greedy internet move (Also the bar ;) )

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeremy M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I booked this hotel after reading it’s reviews here on Tripadvisor – and it turns out the praise was well deserved. Melia Berlin has it all: central location (many attractions are within walking distance, and the rooms have beautiful views of the river Spree), comfy, spacious and peaceful rooms, a varied breakfast buffet and the staff that goes out of their way to help the guests. Spanish-style tapas bar downstairs is a good choice for a drink or a snack in the evening.
I really cannot find a bad thing to say about this hotel and would gladly recommend it to anyone. The only thing I would change on my next visit to Berlin is to book some theater tickets in advance to visit one of the theatres in the hotel’s vicinity.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Veyka
Reviewed 21 February 2012

A quick review as most things about this hotel have already been said. The location is great and the facilities are very nice and of a good quality. The only thing that wasn't great was noise. We were on the 2nd floor and with a street view. When trams go past they are quite loud and you can hear people on the street heading home after merry making. It wasn't enough to make use ask to be moved but was a touch annoying. Overall though this is a good hotel and I'd be more than happy to stay here again but might ask for a room away from the street or by the courtyard.

Room Tip: Don't choose a street view room on a low floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Melia Berlin for our honeymoon in June 2011. We had a lovely river view from our room. The hotel is very conveniently placed in Berlin with the S-Bahn and U-Bahn nearby for easy access to all Berlin has to offer. The staff was friendly and polite. They sent a complementary bottle of champagne to our room when they realized it was our honeymoon, Currency exchanges could be made right at the front desk. Inexpensive rates were available for internet use in the lobby. Taxi service could also be arranged for with ease at the front desk. We also included the breakfast package in our plan which was very reasonable. The selection was great and it saved us money!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Melia Berlin for 4 nights before Christmas 2011 to visit the Christmas markets.

The hotel is well located on the river Spree and very close to the Friedrichstrasse U/S Bahn station; however we walked everywhere we visited with ease. The Brandenburg Gate, Alexanderplatz, Potsdamerplatz and Checkpoint Charlie were all within reach on foot.

We had a standard room facing the street which was spotlessly clean. The noise from the street was not a problem, the only sound you could heard was the tram occasionally in the background, but not enough to cause annoyance. The rooms must be well sound proofed as during our entire stay not once did we hear another guest even walk down the corridor.

The room was cleaned daily with new linen available daily if you so wished. Also available were a selection of pillows from a "pillow menu" - I didn't make use of this myself. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, so much so I checked the mattress name before leaving!

We didn't eat in the restaurant of drink in the bar as we spent a lot of time at the Christmas markets - which I would also recommend, but everything looked good.

The Melia Berlin is the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at and I would recommend it to anyone considering a trip to the fantastic city of Berlin, I certainly hope to visit again soon!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple