“Felt like a local. Would stay again.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of 1A Apartment Guesthouse and Hotel

1A Apartment Guesthouse and Hotel
Ranked #307 of 662 Hotels in Berlin
Laguna Beach, CA
“Felt like a local. Would stay again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2009

Not in a touristy area, this is a good location for folks who want to stay in "East Berlin" and still have good access to the train for sightseeing.

The person who showed me the room was friendly, but then I never saw anyone again. This is fine if you're not looking for a lot of attention, but would be an issue if you want to stay in a place that has front desk staff - there's no front desk here.

My room was really small, as was the bathroom - but both were tidy and everything well-maintained. My room was on the "inside" of the building, looking out onto a courtyard. Avoid a street-side room, especially on the first floor, which didn't look like it got a whole lot of privacy.

There are several food options nearby and a great little shop a few yards away that had everything I needed (water, snacks). I felt totally safe walking around alone at night and the proximity to the train is great. The wireless internet was excellent.

All-in-all I can recommend this as an option over staying at a hostel. But it's not really a "hotel" - it's really like staying in an apartment building. It worked for me and I'd have no problem staying again.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2009

After reading the mostly positive reviews, I booked this place for our 2 night stay in Berlin. The location is good, close to the Underground, restaurants and shops. Our two main complaints are the extremely small bathroom sink, with the glass shelf above it, preventing you from washing or brushing your teeth. (As warned, I did bring my own soap for the several showers I took because of the useless sink.) Our room (102) was right on the main street and had a huge, store-front window, which had to be shuttered, blocking any light, in order to have privacy. A bulb was out in ceiling fixture, making it very difficult to see or find things in our suitcase. We appreciated the tiny refrigerator for milk for our coffee and the adequate size of our room. There was free coffee, which ran out after one cup our first morning, in the lobby. The most negative aspect of this place for us was the negative attitude of RRRRRRRRRRRRRolf, the attendant who checked us in. I felt like every question was such an imposition, such as recommendations for restaurants, where to park, tours, etc. He was the complete oppositie from the lovely man who checked us into a similar accommodation in Dresden. Before booking, I was told that there was free parking nearby the hotel. Once there Ralph said that parking was very difficult and that I would have to drive around and around looking for a free spot. By asking someone on the street, we did find a great restaurant, Medea Geschenkeshop, a few blocks away on. There, the bartender was so very friendly and helpful and the food was fabulous and very reasonable. One thing I did appreciate was Rolf''s loaning me a cord and showing me where the port was for my own laptop.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Caeli
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights for New Years 2008->2009. Nice clean place, rooms a nice size. Free internet on-site (on their computer), which is a great plus. Very friendly people. Small grocery store right across the street proved convenient. 5 mins walk to subway stop, from which the rest of Berlin is yours within 10 mins tops (Berlin's subway system is incredibly fast and frequent-running). On this note, you probably want to spring for a public transit pass for a few days, which is great since Berlin is too big to walk across anyway. Quiet area of town a plus.

• Stayed December 2008
Danville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2008

1-A is my favorite place to stay in Berlin. The double rooms are large, comfortable and clean, with a seating area, in-room bathroom (bring your soap and shampoo), TV and daily housekeeping; the prices are very reasonable and the personnel are very helpful and friendly. There is a coffee machine in the lobby as well as an internet terminal, so your stay is even more comfortable. 1-A is located in Prenzlauer Berg, a popular neighborhood east of Mitte and the neighborhood is full of bars, clubs and restaurants, and there is a market at the end of the block. Public transportation is very close, with a tram stop at the end of the block and 2 U-Bahn stations within a couple of blocks. I have stayed here many times over the last couple of years, and I highly recommend it!

• Liked — Great accommodation at a great price
  • Disliked — I liked everything about it
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank brdgr007chris
East Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

In June 2008 I spent a week at the 1A Pension. I also stayed there for a week a year ago. The rooms are immaculately clean as is the entire facility. This pension is located on a side street and therefore is quiet. The place was filled to capacity when I was there and yet I had no feeling that other guests were in the place. The staff is cordial and efficient. The manager is most helpful at all times and gave me good bits of advice relative to what to do and see in the area. The place is close to streetcar, bus and subway lines which connect to the entire city. One can also walk to "Mitte" which is in the heart of Berlin. Restaurants and grocery stores are within a block of the Pension. The prices are reasonable and I recommend it highly to anyone wanting a good location and decent lodgings. I plan to return there next year as well. Jim S.

• Liked — It was clean and quiet and the staff was friendly and efficient
  • Disliked — I find no faults with this Pension