“Internet rip-off!”

Ranked #131 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
London, United Kingdom
“Internet rip-off!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

There are many nice hotels in Berlin but because there's so much choice, I'd seriously advise giving this place a miss. I travel regularly all around the world - I know that hotels like to overcharge for using the internet. But that didn't alleviate my complete shock when I checked out of the Esplanade and found out that I'd been charged 170 Euros for using wi-fi in my room for six night's stay! Why so expensive? Because they apply the charge for each device you want to use, rather than allow you to purchase one charge for the room. As nearly everyone has more than one device (laptop, smartphone, etc) these days, it's the stone age for them to operate this policy but their reply was a snippy, "Every hotel does this." Uh, no, they don't.
They also tried to charge me 300 euros for a sink I reported to be faulty, blaming me for the fault even though it was clearly pre-existing. This battle I did win but only after an extremely unpleasant exchange. They also charged me the cost of two breakfasts for every day of my stay, even though my partner only stayed for two nights. Also, the hotel's food, including breakfast, wasn't all that great (the room service club sandwich is truly one of the worst I've ever had), the location's not great and the front desk and concierge were haughty.
Like I said, there are a lot of great hotels in Berlin. If you're thinking about staying here, just be prepared for them to try and rip you off with the extra charges.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Matt M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

My fiancee and I stayed here for 3 nights in July 2011. Everything was perfect from start to finish. The bed was made out of some special fabric from heaven, the breakfast was so good we couldn't stop eating, and the drinks were incredible! Try the Cosmopolitan, please...

Will most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Therese M
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed for a business trip in january 2012. Hotel is a little on the pricey side, nice big, clean rooms, good beds - breakfast and food a little expensive, actually quite a bit compared to cafe´s and restaurants in the city, service very good, location hmm, eventhough located in the center of Berlin - there is a bit of a walk if you want to soak up the atmosphere at the shops, restaurants and bars at Kurfürstendam - one of the main centers of Berlin. There are much closer and cheaper options if that is the pupose of the trip.
But anyway Berlin is a great city to visit and there is lot of things to see and do.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Thodin
Hertford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

Lovely rooms, nice staff. If you're going to have breakfast book online as it's €12 compared to €18-20 if you don't. We ate out at nearby Cafe Einstein - not much cheaper but much nicer atmosphere. Harry's Bar in the hotel is just a hotel bar, nice for an early or late drink if you're staying there but not worth a special trip.

• Stayed January 2012
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

The executive suite (we got the buisness corner suite) was clean, very bright and comfortable. The heating system annoyed us howewer as we could not control the temperature ourselves. The in-room air condition didnt seem to have much effect, this resulting in us opening the windows at times to let some chill breezes come in to the room. I mean, come on Esplanade, who likes to sleep in 27-28 degrees heat all night in January? At least not us norwegians for sure.. There should also have been a full body mirror in the entré to the suite. 6 euro for a bottle of water, I don´t even want to comment on that. Go to a local store and buy your water for 0, 60 euros. Nice bathroom with shower and bathtub, good selection of amenities. Toothbrushes are free of charge, first time I have seen that in a hotel.

The breakfast buffet was very nice, look out for special offers on it as the standard rate of 22 euros is a tad bit to much for what you get I think.

The swimming pool/gym/spa area was quite nice.

Harrys new york bar – a safe bet if you are in need of a late night cocktail. I have read some comments here about rude staff in the bar. We were treated nicely. Only downside was that they didnt have live music on a saturday night.

The employees were polite and nice, but not "all smiles". This is afterall germany. Ordnung muss sein. Very efficient front desk. They did however charge/reserve some kind of deposit (ca 100 euros) on my stay, without letting me know. This has now been replaced. A simple notice would have been fine.

The location is ok, there is nothing much in the immidiate surrounding area but it is not far to the main attractions in Berlin. Taxis are by the way ridicioulosly inexpensive in Berlin. There is also an bus stop 2 min from the hotel. The tube station (Nollendorfplatz) is a 8-10min walk from the hotel. For choices in the area try restaurants “Maharadsja” (Indian) and “Il Valentino” (Italian). Both have gotten favourable reviews on tripadvisor. “Bar am Lützowplatz” looked like a good choice for drinks.

We paid 139 euro a night for an executive suite (about 55-60m2). That is indeed good value for money, off course not only judging by the size but foremost by quality. Exellent beds and linens! Housekeeping did their job to our satisfaction. Would probably come again given I would get the same deal, but Berlin has indeed many magnificent hotels to choose from.

Room Tip: get a room with a view of the canal!