“Superb Stay In A Great Hotel”

InterContinental Berlin
Ranked #29 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
High Wycombe
“Superb Stay In A Great Hotel”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Great hotel close to Zoo. Not the most convenient location - 10 minute walk to Zoo DB / U-bahn (metro) station, or to Wittenbergplatz U-bahn, but the 200 bus stops right outside and the lovely rooms more than make up for the slight inconvenience......

We were given a spacious spotlessly clean and well-maintained deluxe room on an upper floor with views over the Tiergarten. Very comfortable bed. Great bathroom. Best hotel breakfast we've had for ages - top of the IHG brand for Europe and well worth the €30. Great friendly staff who ALL smile and say "hello" - true ambassadors!

Weekend rates at this hotel are very competitive, and you get good value for your money. Be sure to try it soon!!

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms have a great view over the Zoo and Tiergarten.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Mr. “craigvassie”,

Thank you very much for your warm words, especially on our breakfast and our rooms.

Did you know that we do not only have a great weekend rate but, for stays between 30th March and 15th May, you can book an Advanced Saver Rate with Breakfast which offers you great value for your money? Please check this out and let us welcome you back at the InterContinental Berlin soon.

With kind regards,

Robert P. Herr
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cathedral City, California
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Good business traveller hotel with spacious rooms and relatively friendly staff.

The heat controls, however, are not adjustable and they keep the 7th floor at a toasty 30 degrees C. I asked them to address this but in my 6 days it was not addressed.

• Stayed February 2012
London
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My wife and I spent two nights here as a base to see Berlin. We booked a Deluxe Room after reviewing the various rooms on the English web site of the hotel. I was misled into thinking a Deluxe Room was a Club Room - don't be fooled! On discovering that breakfast wasn't included, I asked the receptionist what the difference was between a standard and a deluxe room. All she could tell me was that there was a bit more space, and a coffee maker. I believe the standard room has a coffee make actually, so apparently all you get is a sofa. My advice would be to stick with the standard room. The hotel itself is pleasantly opulent with a delightful and extensive bar area. The spa was closed for our stay, and we were told we could have complimentary use of the one at the nearby Hotel Pullman. But at minus 8, we weren't inclined to trip across the road in not very much! We didn't feel like spending 30 Euros each on breakfast, so we took the bus to Ku'damm and ate there. Many cafes sell a good German breakfast (egg, rolls, hams, salamis, cheese, jam, coffee etc) for 8.50 Euros. Likewise the prices at the bar were a bit eye-watering: 10.50 for an Irish Coffee and 8.50 for a pot of camomile tea. However, no-one books a 5 star hotel and expects cheap prices, and the real problem with this hotel as that a bus or taxi is needed for every trip - especially in the very cold winter weather. Ku'damm is 15 mins away, but it is a trudge, not a delightful walk. Potsdamer Platz is 10 mins on the bus in the other direction. Having said that, the bus does go every 10 minutes, so it's not exactly a hardship, but it is worth saying that this hotel is too expensive for someone not on business to be a captive in, and therefore make sure you buy a tourist ticket for the BVG (we bought the 72 hour Welcome Card). The service was good and when we needed the feather bedding and pillows changed for hypoallergenic ones, it happened quickly and without fuss. We were told in good time that our water would be turned off for an hour in the early morning. The room itself was not overly large, despite its alleged 'deluxe' nature. There was a nespresso machine, which was a nice touch, but only three capsules to put in it. The bed was queen size, when I think king would have been more appropriate. The flat screen TV was against the wall, and couldn't be fully pointed at the bed. And it was *warm*. The temperature control was permanently on 24 degrees. It was all a bit ... underwhelming. Next time I'm in Berlin, I will stay at the swissotel.

Room Tip: If you can't afford Club, don't pay the extra for Deluxe.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Dear Mr. “crowdedcat”,

Thank you very much for your review. On our website the term “Deluxe” describes not the room category but the executive club level with extra value in contrast to the regular rooms in our hotel. This is an InterContinental standard on all our hotel websites. Your feedback as a Priority Club member and frequent traveller enables us to have a closer look at this standard to avoid future irritation.

All our rooms are very well equipped and perfectly furnished. The superiour rooms offer 30 m² to your enjoyment, the deluxe rooms come with 40 m², an extra seating facility and a high quality coffee maker. Although we only put three Nespresso capsules in the room, our guest can order additional capsules for free at any time. Both superiour and deluxe rooms can also be found on Club InterContinental with all its additional benefits, such as separate check-in, personal service and separate lounge (with breakfast, free service at the bar, and a snack buffet that changes three times a day).

The team at the InterContinental Berlin would love to welcome you back to our hotel. If there is anything we can do to make your next visit with us more delightful, please feel free to get in touch with your next booking.

With kind regards,

Robert P. Herr
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 February 2012

What a great hotel, in a great location, with great staff and facilities. Near the end of an extensive holiday this was a most relaxing conclusion in extreamely comfortable rooms.
It would even have been better if the foyer and dining facilities had not been overtaken by a conference.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lorne1000
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I have considered myself a regular of this hotel, though unfortunately I had not been able to visit it even once in the past 4 years.
Every time I come to this hotel I am reminded of why it is that I keep coming back.

Staff is nice, friendly, effective, professional and informed. Any question you have, they will answer. Any request, they will accommodate and find a way to satisfy it.

I was taking my Mother to Berlin for the first time (short stay, unfortunately) and wanted to awe her... it worked.
We arrived a bit early used the Ambassador check-in, left the bags and rushed out. Didn't even notice the room.

When we came back to our upgraded 2-room senior suite my Mother was delighted to see the abundance of amenities, including a TV in the bathroom, as well as a static-bike.
I won't even talk about the quality of the Elemis bathroom amenities, the plushy and comfortable bedding, the spaciousness of the room, the perfection of the thermostat-controlled temperature, the amazing heated bathroom tiles (how can it be the only InterConti that I have been to that has this amenity? It should be compulsory; it's great!)... and we couldn't even complain about the corner views of Tiergarten from our high-floor (for Berlin standards).
Only thing I regretted not being able to show my Mother was the ingenious bathroom system that they have in normal rooms... love the engineering design.

I asked for a rollaway bed, which was installed in the living-room, and it was promptly brought up and swiftly set. Probably one of the most comfortable rollaway beds I have ever tried.

Treated my Mother to the astounding breakfast buffet. One of the best and most extensive ones in Europe and the US; worth every penny (though cannot be compared to the ones in the Middle East or Asia).

I expect to be back again this Summer for longer. I've missed the treat of staying at one of the places where I get treated the best.

Room Tip: Despite the buffet breakfast being a bit on the expensive side, it is worth every penny.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family