“Best hotel ever”

Patrick Hellmann Schlosshotel
Ranked #23 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Wonderful in every respect. Not that much I can add to the other 5-star reviews. Schlosshotel proves that a high-end hotel experience doesn't have to be stuffy, boring, or corporate. Everything about it was friendly and relaxed, yet top-notch. In particular, the staff was incredibly kind and helpful.

Some reviews mentioned the location as a negative. I found this is to be an overstated criticism. The hotel is a pleasant and safe 12-min walk from the Grunewald S-bahn station, which will take you to the main stations in central Berlin in 15-20 min.

Already trying to figure out when we can go back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xrayspec
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

I'm so bored of having the usual diet of business hotels with their typical concrete jungle look, I decided to pick the Schlosshotel Im Grunewald during my recent stay in Berlin.
Staying at the hotel feels like staying in a friend's country house. I was not even aware of the existence of their reception table, having done most of the formalities in their drawing room.
I start my day by visiting the nearby Grunewald Forest for a morning jog or walkies; experience the fresh air and the gentle pace of the area's neighborhood. Grab a smorgasbord breakfast then hop to your taxi which promptly arrived - organised by the super efficient front desk team.

Most of the time I was there, the hotel was very quiet, there were no hordes of suitcases occupying the lobby, no loud mobile phones ringing... Such a breath of fresh air!
If you are in a rush for meetings in the City Centre or only having a very short time to spend in Berlin, perhaps this hotel is not for you. If you are like me, who wouldn't mind the extra 20 minutes ride to the city and needing proper calm and serenity of a good repose after a long working day then do try Schlosshotel Im Grunewald.

P.S: My taxi rides to and from the City Centre were always very amusing. With my super limited German vocabulary and the taxi drivers' various degrees of English proficiency, I managed to learn so many things about Germany. From the time of Erich Honecker to Angela Merkel, even David Hasselhoff! ...We covered them all.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank GaiusMarius
Reviewed 3 June 2012

from the moment i stepped foot in the the hotel i felt pampered the staff are very friendly, no request was to much, the room was beautifully decorated and of substantial dimensions extremely comfortable with every thing one would need available, all was very clean. The food was delicious but the bar is something else and my favourite area great champagne and oyster. i did request some Iberian Jamon with my spanish wine as this hotel is managed by a Spanish Chain but unfortunately their jamon dos Dehesas from dehesa el Corchuelo had sold out and they were awaiting a new delivery. My Children love breakfast cooked to perfection by the Scottish Chef which involved them in the process. The rest of the time this Hotel offers the freedom and security allowing my wife and i to relax without worry the hotel and grounds are secure. we loved it here and will most certainly be back. word of advice .book the spa in advance its very popular .

Room Tip: book the spa treatments in advance its very popular
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We chose the Schlosshotel primarily based upon the reviews in Tripadvisor and the fact that it has a swimming pool. I still believe that Tripadvisor is a useful tool but everyone's circumstances are different and if you are traveling with young children, please keep reading to hopefully avoid the terrible experience that we had.

I travel extensively for work and pleasure and I usually don't write about every trip on Tripadvisor but when the situations merits a review, I write one.

Before I booked the room in March, I contacted the hotel and informed them that we have children ages 4 and 2 and wanted to know if the Executive Suite had a room which was separate from the sleeping area so that we could put the children to bed in their cribs and then shut the door. They confirmed that there was a door separating the rooms and that it could be shut. They mentioned nothing about the lighting to me.

We arrived at the hotel and that evening we realized that there is no curtain or window shade in the living room area of the suite. We called the Front Desk and said that our children cannot fall asleep because it is too light in the room. The Front Desk apologized and said that as a temporary solution, housekeeping would come and hang a heavy blanket by the window. Tomorrow, the technicians would come to hang a window shade. Fine. The next evening nothing changed. The Front Desk explained to me that the General Manager will not allow a window treatment to be hung and that we had 3 options: 1) put the cribs in the same room where we were sleeping, 2) put the cribs in the hallway/vestibule, (I am not making this up!!!) 3) pay for a second room.

The first option defeats the purpose of having the suite in the first place. We choose suites when we travel so that the children and we can have separate rooms. When the Front Desk proposed option #2 to me, I asked her incredulously if she meant that we put the cribs in the small space in front of our front door and that it is indeed what she meant. We were mutually baffled with each other because I could not believe that she proposed that I put my children in an area 1.7m x 1.9m with no air circulation outside my front door and she was baffled that I didn't love this idea which her manager didn't know about. I frankly don't know any parent who would approve of this and I also think that it is a fire hazard to block the exit of our room like this. The woman then told me that the General Manager wanted her to "SELL THE ROOM" to me. The price of the room is normally 239 EUR and they first offered it to me for 200 EUR and then dropped it to 150 EUR. I told her that I was not going to pay 1 EUR more for another room because my suite should be adequate.This hotel's Executive Suites are atypical in that there are no window treatments to shut out the light in the living room area and I would have never even thought to ask about this when I booked the room. The Schlosshotel was aware of my intentions to put my children in the living room to sleep and no one ever mentioned this to me about the living room windows. If they did, I would have never made a reservation.

Finally, the last option to me says it all. The General Manager does not care about finding a solution to satisfy a dissatisfied customer. She just wants to "SELL THE ROOM." Given her crude reaction, I knew that there was no point in continuing a discussion with the Front Desk so I ended the conversation by saying that this is unacceptable.

To me, a true test of a company's quality or 5 Star status is revealed not when things are going smoothly but when things do not go as planned. Does management react with grace or distastefully? The Front Desk tried to convince me that they proposed 3 "solutions" for me. They have an odd idea of what a solution is. My definition of a solution is a mutually acceptable proposal. They proposed 3 options, all of which were negative for me and two of which were neutral to them and one "SELL the ROOM" was positive for them.

If your circumstances are similar to mine, I urge you to consider the Regent Hotel instead. Unfortunately, I did the research after my trip but here are some things that make it my choice for our next trip to Berlin: 1) all Executive suites have curtains/shades to darken the living room, 2) it is 5 star hotel, 3) all Executive Suites have sliding doors that close off living room from sleeping room, 4) they have a 2 star Michelin restaurant, 5) in city center so you don't have to trek 10km back and forth to the hotel, 6) they have a Very Important Kid program. As a parent, the fact they even acknowledge children like this is noteworthy. I have the feeling that the Regent would not propose that my children sleep in the hallway at their hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
17  Thank Jardinier2011
Reviewed 30 March 2012

The rooms are huge and beautifully decorated. Food is amazing. Too bad we wanted to see the city, or we would have been content to just stay on the hotel property the entire stay. The only drawback to the hotel is that it is not centrally located. This hotel is best for a romantic tryst or for someone who knows Berlin and has no need to see the sites. It is not for someone who wants to see the city, unless you don't mind a long commute to the city center. The hotel is in a wonderful neighborhood, but not much to see or do within walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple