“Cheap Hotel Not So Easy...”

easyHotel Berlin Hackescher Markt
Ranked #27 of 349 Speciality Lodging in Berlin
Manchester
“Cheap Hotel Not So Easy...”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

If you have done any research at all into easy hotels then it will be pretty obvious that the idea is for a very basic room at a very cheap price. If you want any extra services such as luggage storage, internet/tv use, late or early check in then an extra fee is required. Having read about easy hotels before staying at Easy Hotel Berlin we had a good idea of what to expect. There is no breakfast option although they have some basic vending machines in the building( this wasn’t a problem as there are several cafes, bakeries and supermarkets nearby). The location of the hotel is very good as its only a short walk from Rosenthaler Platz underground stop. The hotel entrance and building felt very secure. The room was very small as expected but was clean and the bathroom facilities were adequate. However we were very disappointed with the customer service and dealing with the staff was anything but easy.

We arrived early and asked to use the luggage storage facilities, we paid for a locker and were given a padlock. The staff told us that the lockers were on the underground floor so we headed towards the stairs with our luggage and then realised all of the doors require a keycard for access. The staff had not given us a keycard so I had to go back to reception and ask for one which caused some confusion as they didn't understand why I needed a keycard since I wasn't checking into the room at this point. After repeating why I needed a keycard a few times I was given one and we went down to the luggage store. We then realised the lockers were also very narrow so one of our bags would not fit inside. I went back to reception and explained this and they tried to make me buy a second locker, I had to explain several times that there would be no purpose of paying for a second locker as they are all the same size and the bag definitely would not fit inside. Eventually they agreed to let me leave the large bag with them in reception free of charge which was a welcome outcome but took a painfully long time to reach. I feel its worth mentioning that the staff spoke very good English and a language barrier was not the reason why it took time to resolve this issue – is was purely down to incompetence.
Another thing which was very frustrating was that we purchased access to their internet service and it was REALLY slow, basically unusable as it would take 5-10 minutes to load a web page(if it loaded at all!) . This was the case for their 2 computers in reception and for trying to use the wireless service on our mobile phones. This was the case for our entire visit no matter what time of the day. We should have just gone to one of Berlins many internet cafes instead of wasting our time with the easy hotel internet "service".

In summary if you just want the cheapest most basic room in a good location then the easy hotel is suitable. However I would advise you not to waste your time and money with their internet service and be careful with the extra charges for the very small luggage lockers.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adam M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Yes they are very small, no they don't come with a wardrobe to put your clothes and yes you do need to pay if you want any extra, e.g, a window, internet, room cleaned, TV, but I still think they are brilliant. The Easy Hotel Berlin is situated in an excellent location, the room was clean and to be honest the only time we were in it was to go to bed and when we got up to shower in the morning. The shower was hot, the bed comfortable - I paid bit more for a room with a window which was worth it. It was ideal for our city break, perhaps for a longer stay with a larger case you may feel a bit pushed for space. However, I'll pick Easy Hotel everytime if I have the option.

Room Tip: Get one with a window if you can.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Great deal due to booking in advance (EUR 25,00 per night). Great location, clean rooms, nice reception. It was my third time at the hotel and the next stay is already booked. Unbeatable price for great value. If you travel alone and want to city it's a great choice.

Room Tip: Practically no difference between small and normal room if you travel solo.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thessaloníki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 16 April 2012

The hotel is very cheap, about 40 euros per night, and you stay in the middle of the most trendy neighborhood of Berlin with so many bars, restaurants and of course young people wherever you look. It is very clean and the bed is more tha comfortable. It is ok for couples who are toghether for a long time while there is no privacy when you use the toilette and if you go with a very new lover it would be more than uncomfortable!!! I really want to visit Berlin again and I will stay at easyhotel of course!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Giota T
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2012

As others have said this is a budget option. There is very little space in the room. Knowing that ahead of time I decided to leave my main luggage at the train station and it is just as well I did as my one bag would've blocked the door or rested on the bed.

The double bed was comfortable. The "bathroom" though small was no worse than regular hotels I've stayed an and was functional. (Though don't expect any privacy if there are two of you). The room was also clean. The staff were polite and English-speaking. The location was also excellent with plenty of not-so touristy places to eat in the lively neighbourhood along with small shops, internet cafes, etc.

For about 40 euros per night there's not much more one can expect and it seems a lot of similarly priced options in Berlin aren't so nice. That said, I was glad to be leaving after two nights as any more (and this goes for all easyHotels I've stayed in) would've been pushing it.

Overall, a good budget option for a short stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo