“Classic german food, great conversation ”

Altfrankische Weinstube
Ranked #16 of 114 Restaurants in Rothenburg
Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I visited on a Wednesday night with my sister my son and his girlfriend who are in their 20s. We went especially on this night because of the English conversation table. We met several very interesting and friendly locals, and half dozen Americans and Canadians who are visiting for the same reason. I enjoyed the Nuremberg wurst and traditional dishes with it.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

Great place to eat in Rothenburg, the food was very nice, the restaurant is absolutely gorgeous, we sat close to the fireplace and had delicious meals and drinks. We found the food quite reasonably priced also.

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

This is a gem down a little side street near St. Jacob’s Church. The building is 600 years old with low ceilings, candlelight and a number of small cozy rooms. The food was very good. My husband and I have the pork tenderloin in mushroom sauce with homemade spaetzle and a bottle of local red wine. Our daughter had the steak that was incredibly tender and tasty.

We were there on a Wednesday night when the English Conversation Club meets. This is a group of locals who have a big table reserved every Wednesday. Join them, it’s a great way to help them practice their English and to learn more about life in Rothenburg. We had a great time!

1  Thank Maura568
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

I had a pleasure eating dinner here. Food was really good as it was service. Due to size of the place reservation is strongly recommended. I loved the decor as it reminded me of the past. It felt like brothers Grimm fairytale.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

If you don't have a reservation, don't be disappointed and mad. Just reserve a table for the next day. We took some friends to Altfrankische Weinstube back in 2009 and the food was great and reasonably priced with decent service. My wife and I returned in Oct. 2017 to dine there. We went inside to see about a table and they had no room. As we were turning to leave, a great husband and wife with their elderly mother asked if we would like to dine at their table. What a great bunch of people. My wife and I had a great meal and picked up a drink for the couple for sharing their table. The next day, we stopped by and made reservations for the following day. As we were walking in we told another couple outside what a good place it was. They followed us in but were told there were no tables available. Pay it forward time. We offered them a place at our table. We had great conversation and I got to say hello to the couple that shared their table a couple of nights before because they were there again. They live in Rothenburg so they stop in a few times per week. We look forward to our return and hopefully get to see our new friends from Rothenburg. Also a big thank you to Mario Beckh the owner for the opportunity to bring back fond memories from a previous trip.

2  Thank gonetrvlng