“Nice hotel and good service”

Sofitel Munich Bayerpost
Ranked #29 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Calgary, Canada
“Nice hotel and good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Arrived during the deep freeze over Europe in February 2012. It was literally - 20 oC with the wind chill. The hotel is very impressive on the outside and nice and modern on the inside. The rooms were very nice and the bed was very comfortable. The only problem was as I discovered to my horror the heating in the room was broken. As you can understand in the middle of a European winter freeze this was not a very pleasant experience. I woke up at 1 in the morning literally frozen solid. I phone the concierge and they informed me that due to the time there was no electrician to fix the problem but that they would send up a portable heater immediately to take care of the problem till it could be fixed in the morning. Other than that it was a nice hotel and the concierge was very knowledgeable about tours and places to see in Munich. They also had a wonderful SPA downstairs which I used. Would definately recommend for weary business travellers like myself.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Spent 2 nights here on my way to Berlin. The positives: it's lovely to exit the train station and be in the hotel lobby within literally 2 minutes, superb check-in service, stunning lobby decor, spacious room with all modern amenities, extraordinary customer service, quiet, centrally located with a 5-10 minute walk to Munich city center. The Negatives (to be fair): the 5 minute walk from the hotel to the Munich tourist sites is a little odd (totally safe neighborhood but it's a little bit of a disconnect with the hotel ambiance), the 31 euro buffet breakfast is a little expensive but thankfully it's delicious. Overall, this is a fantastic hotel and I would enthusiastically recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

I spent one night in Munich before flying back to US. The hotel is conveniently located next to the train station, less than 2 min walk from the gate, and 10 min walk to the city center. As a woman traveler, I felt safe walking around the area during the day and night.
Check in was smooth, reception was attentive and courteous.
Room is nice, modern decoration, love the Hermes toiletries, and iPod docking station. Bed was so comfy, I didn’t want to get out of the bed next day. Bathroom is nice with a good water pressure in the shower. Overall, I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Stayed at Sofitel Munich on way to Lech for skiing. With our 1year old in tow. We booked a suite and from the moment we arrived to the minute we left, had a fantastic stay.

The baby cot was brought up immediately and was beautifully clean and free of grubby marks with a sleeping bear as a gift from the hotel.

We also ate in the hotel and the food was faultless. We ordered breakfast for 1 as I usually pick at my husband's (!!) and it was phenomenal - fresh fruit, eggs, cereals, pastries, fresh juice and coffee and was probably enough for 3.

Genuinely warm, friendly staff, and nothing was too much bother.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

We booked a suite to treat ourselves for our weekend stay in Munich, at over € 450 a night it was ridiculously expensive and we were really looking forward to it.

The hotel is basically in the train station so great for getting around however it is a pretty ugly area.

The room was ok, fine at € 200 not over double that price. It smelt of smoke which I was told because it is new and from the building work... Yeah right!

I have two main complaints which spoilt my holiday;

1; the wifi and Internet didn't work the whole weekend and no one told us. I had to do some work and spent ages on the phone to my company thinking our systems were down as Sofitel wifi seemed to be working fine. It wasn't , they new this and kept quiet to not highlight it. The receptionist told me to go over and use the wifi in burger king, do I spent a lovely 3 hours in a crap burger king rather than my room. Bad bad service.

Next a wall lamp which was brand new snapped when I adjusted the position on the desk . Did they apologise... No they charged me € 200 for breaking it, even better they left a note under my door and sent an electronic message at 630 am. This means all the TVs in your room turn on full blast with the message so that was a nice wake up on holiday!

When I complained the assistant manager looked v embarrassed and offered me a free breakfast ( oh yeah no breakfast when you pay over € 450 a night, should have checked that one!!). I asked to speak to the manager but he only started work at 930 and had an important meeting to attend first, so unfortunately he would miss me.

This place is fine for a nice business hotel. Never ever go on holiday pay for the mandarin oriental and just don't take the risk here.

• Stayed October 2011